Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! It's been a while.

To the MOTS team: I'd really hate to break it to you, but Kyle does not use Yun's saber in MOTS. The blade is orange rather than yellow, and the hilt is entirely different.

Anyways, as for the functionality of the Force powers, I think that the JK MOD and MOTS MOD teams should collaborate to make it so that their powers are identical. I say throw out chain lightning--because it was crap--and keep the regular lightning from JA.

I'll try to find the Force power suggestions I posted for the JK team and re-post them for you.

Okay, here is one suggestion I made to the JK team, and I think it's relevent to the MOTS MOD as well:

Try to keep it so that only the Force powers that are in JK are be available in the mod. (Jump, Speed, Sense, Pull, Healing, Persuasion, Blinding, Absorb, Protection, Throw, Grip, Lightning, Destruction, Deadly Sight.) However, I do think that Push, Saber Throw, Saber Defense and Saber Offense should also be available. (Unfortunately, you would not be able to develope all of your powers, unless you distribute more stars per mission. Or else make it so that Push and Pull are one power, and Defense and Offense grow automatically as your rank increases.) Also, there should be a balance between their functionality in JK and in JA. Example: Lightning was pretty much useless in JK, but was VERY useful in JO and JA. Hence it should function as it does in JO and JA. Grip should function as it did in JO and JA, as should Jump, Pull, Push, Healing, Throw, Absorb and Saber Throw. Speed should be a cross between both: add one star, and only your body speeds up, but not your mind. Add two stars, and your mind speeds up as well, slowing the world down 75%. Three stars: 50%. Four: 25%. However, it should last for thirty seconds as it does in JK, and not ten like in JO/JA. Sense should illumine everything as it does in JK, but it should also have those lines it has in JA and also show enemies behind walls. Protection should LOOK the way it does in JA but ACT the way it does in JK. As for Destruction: Perhaps you can make the size of the orb in accordance with your rank; and it may also be able to be fired from both hands simaltaneously if you saber is deactivated, as with Lighting. As for the look, it should resemble what it looks like when Yun and Jerec use it against you in the cutscenes. (Perhaps it can also shake the screen when it connects, making you stagger; and maybe small bits of debris could fall to the ground, as in the JA cutscene where your character meets up with Alora before going off to find Rosh.) I'm not sure if there should be one saber style, or multiple styles that increase with your rank. Throw should make debris spawn off walls and hurl at your enemy, as well as large movable rocks. Persuasion should function pretty much the same, but the effect should look smilar to the Shadowtrooper/Sabateur effect. I know that some of these ideas are kind of dull, removing likable powers, but I only wish this mod to be more like the original.

Now, that was for JK. For MOTS, you obviously wouldn't have to worry about push and pull being one power, because both are available in the original game. However, I think you should tweak the Force star distribution so that by the end of the game you could have all of the powers--or most of them--and not just a few.

Here are some more suggestions:

In Karobani's museum, perhaps in addition to 8T88's head and thr Dark Trooper head, you could have Clone Trooper helmets, Separatist battle droid heads, Darth Reven's mask, Darth Nihilis' mask, and various other tie-ins on display?

I think that when you fight Dark Mara, it is obvious that she is experiencing the same sort of thing Luke did when he fought the apparition of Darth Vader in the cave at Dagobah. That said, maybe you could make the movemet "choppy" like it is in the movie, to illustrate that this is not real? Have it like that until you kill Dark Mara, and have her disappear, at which point the movement returns to normal, and that little trap door opens. This scene should also begin with an in-game cutscene. I think that this should also happen in your first fight with Kyle, because I believe that fight to have been an illusion created by the real Kyle to slow Mara down. That is why he disappeared at the end of the fight.

Mara's hair should be down, rather than tied back. I once saw a really great Mara Jade model that did this, and it looked perfect.

In the final battle with Kyle, The Battle of Heroes should be the background music, since these are friends fighting each other. Also, you should use the same boss that you fight in JA if you are on the dark side--the Kyle who grabs, punches, and throws you around--only with his costum altered, obviously. And the battle should not be as simple as deactivating your lightsaber. Perhaps it should be a two- or three-part battle, where you'll have to defeat his first and second "forms," until he calls upon the power of the temple to make himself invulnerable. And it should be at that point where you have to deactivate your saber.

i hope your not going off of the saber hilt you see in the original game are you? cuz DF2 and MOTS saber hilt's resemble nothing of the characters 'actual' saber hilts.

and, if thats not yun's saber in mots what saber does kyle use then?

and we won't be having mara's hair down since that is not how it is in the original game. although, it *may* become a variation but not choose-able in SP.

and the ref pics i'm using of yun's saber shows that the buttons are yellow and thats what we are sticking with. :p

i don't think we will be able to do that 'choppy' effect with dark mara but, we *may* do a kinda transparent effect (not the one morgan has in JO).

Gaara, keep your personal feelings off the board. And the pic actually supports Temp's saber since 1.Shadows cause black, and 2.The chrome is shown as yellow from the light.

On a better note, everyone please visit the JKMod website, the new is updated along with new screenshots of my latest map, The Brothers Of the Sith.

Enjoy!

Zem

and, if thats not yun's saber in mots what saber does kyle use then?

That question has been a perpetual thorn in a large group of players' sides, particularly those who are interested in continunity and baffled by the fact that, according to the timeline, Kyle gave up his connection to the Force due to the events of MotS but is suddenly using a blue saber in JO. The natural assumption is that the saber he had in Sith is Yun's and that's the one he gave up when he decided to give up the Force but the game's don't support this and there isn't any fiction that officially clarifies it. The most likely explanation, however, is that the orange saber is a new one he constructed while on Altyr, with Mara. Part of the training of becoming a Jedi is the construction of your own lightsaber (hence the reason Jaden was considered to be a prodigy - he/she already built a lightsaber WITHOUT training) so it is likely that, in their training exercises, Mara and Kyle built new sabers and were in the process of testing them out when the Imperials attack. His blue saber was constructed in the five years between JK and Sith and was the one he turned over to Luke. Unfortunately, due to the graphical limitations of the time, it's difficult to tell whether Kyle's orange saber is meant to be a new one or is Yun's and the JO designers glossed over this detail in favor of adjusting the game to fit the prequels, where Jedi always use only blue or green sabers and the Sith only use red. It would be nice if you could include an explanation somewhere in the game. I've always thought there should be a final cutscene retroactively added that has Kyle turning over his JO saber to Luke, meeting up with Jan, and then taking off in the Raven's Claw. It would also be kinda cool if, during the final battle, you had to face him with both his orange and blue sabers, which would make him a more difficult boss than many of the other saber-weilding opponents.

Now, as to the accuracy of Tempust's saber vs the accuracy of Gaara's, I'd have to say that my issue with Gaara's saber is the size and shape. It seems too stunted and doesn't have enough silver. Maybe it's just the angle, but I'd I think it needs to be longer. And Zemm, there's no need to get angry. There are no rules prohibiting personal feelings on a message board but I would caution everyone not to get too stressed over something as simple as a a lightsaber model. It's not the end of the world, after all.

One obvious answer is that Kyle constructed his new saber with an orange crystal, and for what ever reason ended up switching it to a blue crystal before giving it to Luke. but then we still have the problem of what happened to Yun's saber? Why would he have to go all the way back to Yavin IV to pick up his blue saber, when he could simply whip out Yun's old saber from his closet? Perhaps the answer to that is that he dismantled Yun's saber to use it for parts to build his new saber.

ok, well i personally like DarkStarMojo's idea. it would give him more of an evil look if he had two sabers lol. :p

like, we could do a cutscene (we need a damn good scripter lol) before kyle goes to the sith planet of him making his JO one and have it clipped to his belt and have him put yun's saber in a backpack so when he goes evil, (lol) he can just grab that one as well to have the two sabers. and like mara can destroy the yun saber leaving only the JO one. :p

I have been watching this thread for a while now and im actually suprised that i can post here cause for the longest time it wouldnt let me.. but i have to say JK has and still is my favorite game and i am absolutly impressed with your work so far i saw the screenshots on the site and it brought a tear to my eye haha but serioulsy awesome work guys!

Actually, we never had any official position on a demo release, just that we were continuing to develop the mod and would get to a demo when all the components necessary to make one were in place. Truth be told, with school and all, progress has slowed a bit though we're still moving ahead. Maybe the three level demo was an assumption based on the fact that we have three levels in active development, but they don't really go together. A three level demo should consist of the first three levels or least three that are in their original order, wouldn't you agree?

Archived