Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first of all, we're not claiming any voices/video footage/etc. are ours. We are openly acknowledging that this material came from LucasArts, not us. In one respect, it's no different than anyone using textures or sounds that came with Jedi Academy to develop their own mods. LucasArts owns anything we make for DF2 anyways so they already own all the material. Yeah, I know it's a complicated legal issue but it would be close to impossible to make this mod without using some assests from the original game. The cutscenes, mind you, are only temporary until we can get more people to actually make new ones, so I don't expect them to remain part of the mod beyond, say, our first demo. Hope that helps.

The way I see it, if Lucasarts/film didn't want us to use their intellectual property, they'd not have allowed Raven to make the game modable. (I say that because I plan on using music other than what comes in the assets of my JA game)

If they want to sue me over that, then they are going to be disappointed because I am poor. :lol:

Hi all, I drop by occasionally to see how things are going.

I just wanted to mention once again that cutscenes/sounds/music tracks/anything else that is required for the mod could be extracted from the original JK CDs during the mod's installation using a small GOB reader program.

As a matter of fact, to be on the safe side legally, the mod should probably require the original JK CDs in order to load.

And as for the cutscenes... NO! Please use the live action SMKs! No ingame nonsense :p Those cutscenes add a lot of atmosphere.

And the Yun skin, while not bad, doesn't look anything like the actor from the cutscenes. I don't know if that's intentional but personally I prefer staying true to the cutscenes.
:lol: I have to laugh. You are right. It does not look that much like the original actor. However it looks a heck of a lot better than the Yun model in the original JK game.

I am not so sure about using the original .smk videos. They were kind of cheesy. The scenes with spaceships were kind of cool (although they can be done far better with a modern version of 3DS max), but the acting was not so good, and some things were really lame. Like in the second cinematic (the one where Kyle meets 8T-88) the Gran henchman doesn't move his mouth when he speaks. Well that's because it's clearly nothing more than a pathetic Halloween costume. They probably paid $100 max for the mask. Same goes for Jerec. He's supposed to be some sort of an alien. However they didn't even try to make him look alien. The costume is almost Star Trek quality (that means really bad just in case you didn't know. Bajorans anyone? Oh no Jedispy, that's an alien. Can't you tell by the tiny little bumps on her nose? She's not a human in a retarded costume. Really)

Recycling game footage is good for making a demo. However, for your final product my vote is for in game animation. Of course, nobody asked me, so I guess the joke's on me :p. Seriously though, I prefer to create all new footage than simply recycle what's been done already. Heck, I could have used the original video files from the PC version of Shadows of the Empire. They look nice for the most part. However I know that we can do better.:thmbup1:

Uh Jerec isn't an alien... he's a human being with some tatooes and a mask over his eyes (since he's supposed to be blind). I agree, the JK cutscenes were great, and very high budget for a game, even if they were pretty cheesy.

Another example is Maw. He has those alien needle like teeth, but in one scene you can clearly see his normal human teeth above 'em. ;)

Uh Jerec isn't an alien
Really? Heh....I could have sworn he was supposed to be alien. :blush2: Oh well, my point is the same (regarding the quality of the JK cinematics, and the crappiness of Star Trek alien makeup).

Anywho, I was wondering how you guys are doing model wise. Do you have a Boc model yet? Have you checked out the one at JK3files.com?

I am not sure if the DF2MOD team would be at all interested, but I have the source file for a Boc model that RED SITH made. I have been given full permission to have it edited in any way (that's why he gave me the source file)

It's a decent model, but as they state on JK3files.com:

The model is new in a sense, but it looks like its been cobbled together from other model parts, kinda like Frankenstein - although he didn't have big gaps between his limbs and torso big grin But all the model errors aside, I think it's still a decent enough skin.....Fix the model and improve those textures and this ought to be a great piece of work.
That about says it all for this model. It's good, but it could have been made better. RED SITH tells me that it's just a matter of not having enough time to make it better.

I would be happy to give the source file to you guys if you are interested. Hopefully your modellers can fix it. All I ask for in return (this is a favor, not a demand) is that SOTE MOD gets to use the model for our own male twilek characters. What we need is the model having the ability to move it's jaw for cinematics (I'm not a modeller, so I don't know the lingo...sorry :( )

Are you guys interested?

Sorry. Nobody's been replying to my emails. It's gotten so bad that I'm not

even getting updates on this thread. The last post LFN told me about was Fardreamer's first one. ARRGGHH! *vent*

Anyway, I'd say everything we've done so far is an "alpha" version of the game, meaning there are many more changes to go through. Guy-Gone-Weird (he made the Yun skin) is on vacation right now and when he gets back I think we'll open a dialogue with Shamus about starting a new website with our own forums, this way we can start a FAQ and answer questions without stealing thunder from the DFMod, which is certainly not our intention.

Anyway, I'm sure the Yun skin will go through changes in the future but it's pretty dang good anyway and it's a close enough likeness to the actor that it shouldn't be a problem. While Fardreamer's idea of using the original JK CDs to play this mod would be a good way to avoid any legal difficulties, it's impossible since JA uses an videos in ROQ format. The cutscenes, therefore, have to be converted but Shamus has already done that with amazing results. I can't tell you how cool it is to play the opening cinematics (which actually runs a little better now, IMO) and then jump right into a brandy-new version of Nar Shadda. Unfortunately, because smks use 15 frames per second as opposed to 30 for ROQs (I think that's right, not sure) the conversation process increases the file size so all the cutscenes - totaled - are almost 800 megabytes! I can't see us forcing anyone to download 800 mbs of data for cutscenes alone (poor 56kers) so it's economically more viable to go with new cinematics. In that regard, WE ARE LOOKING FOR MODELERS AND CUTSCENERS! If anyone is interested PM ME WITH YOUR INFORMATION. INCLUDE ANY LINKS TO MATERIALS YOU HAVE RELEASED AND I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO CHECK THEM OUT!!!!!

Jedispy, if we can get a modeler/s to do work on characters/objects/etc. we will certainly let you use Boc, whether it's a completely new one or not.

Jedispy, if we can get a modeler/s to do work on characters/objects/etc. we will certainly let you use Boc, whether it's a completely new one or not.
Sounds good. PM me when you are ready. I'll get the file to you when needed. I'd like to help you guys in any way possible. You've got a good thing going here, and I'd hate to see it die. Perhaps when you're done with this mod, you could get a Mysteries of the Sith mod running. Who knows.

I hate to say it, and no offense meant to guy_gone_weird, but wulverene's Yun skin beats guy_gone_weird's Yun skin. I really like both, but wulverene's face looks much closer to the actor's. Of course if you aren't trying to make it look like the actor, (if you scrap the original cinematics I mean) it doesn't matter much either way.

kudos to all the great artists and modders out there. they just keep surprising me. I know I couldn't mod the original DOOM, which shows the extent of my abilities...

I haven't had a chance to check this out, but I just downloaded it, so I will as soon as I get a break from mapping level 14 (Maw). Anyway, from the looks of it, the only big change is the face. The rest of the clothing seems about the same with both skins. Besides, we can always do some work on the face to improve it later on. There's a real big difference between the still pictures of Yun and how the skin plays in-game, just so y'all know.

DarkStarMojo,

I found a good Yun skin you might want to take a look at. I found it over at the JediKnightII.Net Classic Files site. It was made by a guy named Wulverene, and it's available for download, with a good pic on the file page. Here's the link:

http://jk2files.jediknight.net/file.php?id=354

That seems to be based more off the ingame Yun rather than the actor who played him in the cutscenes. I suggest we make the models look like the actors and actresses from the cutscenes rather than their ingame counter-parts. Just my opinion.

I suggest we make the models look like the actors and actresses from the cutscenes rather than their ingame counter-parts. Just my opinion.
Speaking of which are you going to make Kyle look younger like how he does in JK? The JO/JA kyle is too old looking. I'd guess he's around 40 or so just by judging his appearance.

Speaking of which are you going to make Kyle look younger like how he does in JK? The JO/JA kyle is too old looking. I'd guess he's around 40 or so just by judging his appearance.

Well I'm not sure what happened to the guy who made the one that did look closer to the cutscene Kyle than mine. I think I still have the files for it but I won't start de-olding him until I'm sure the other guy isn't coming back with his Kyle.

That seems to be based more off the ingame Yun rather than the actor who played him in the cutscenes. I suggest we make the models look like the actors and actresses from the cutscenes rather than their ingame counter-parts. Just my opinion.

Yep. I'm not thrilled by the face on this one. Plus, I'm too lazy to try and contact the original author. lol All joking aside, we really appreciate all the help and suggestions you've all been providing. Rest assured we will do our best to make Jedi Knight the most enjoyable gaming experience we can.

Yep. I'm not thrilled by the face on this one. Plus, I'm too lazy to try and contact the original author. lol All joking aside, we really appreciate all the help and suggestions you've all been providing. Rest assured we will do our best to make Jedi Knight the most enjoyable gaming experience we can.

Don't worry, I never believed it would be bad.

Well I'm not sure what happened to the guy who made the one that did look closer to the cutscene Kyle than mine. I think I still have the files for it but I won't start de-olding him until I'm sure the other guy isn't coming back with his Kyle.

I still do have the files so if the other guy doesn't show up then I can continue work on it.

Hey guys. I got some bad news. We're having family troubles right now, and I won't be able to make any more skins for the mod for a while.

As far as my Yun skin, I was focusing more on the clothing than the likeness, and I really suck at faces. I had contemplated troubling Hapslash to make a quick texture of Yun's face and giving him credit, but then this whole family thing happened. If you want to use any part of the skin on the mod, go ahead, I don't even care about creditting me. I agree that it should be as good as possible.

I look forward to further updates on the mod! I'll try to check in if I get a chance. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out all right. Anyway, you'll definitely receive credit for contributing the skin. I may make some tweeks to the face, since it seems to be a popular idea over here, and if you can't do any Sariss work I'll try that too.

Peace,

DarkStarMojo.

Archived