Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

There aren't any plans for that because the completion of this mod is way to far in the future to make plans for after it. If it were made, JA'd probably be too old to make a mod for, and the team might be ready to move on to other things by that time (assuming this mod ever gets finished). So basically, no one knows, but if it's as good as they say it is, I hope someone makes it sometime (I'm going to finish playing through the original sometime soon).

Edit: Instead of having two posts in a row in the same thread, you should use that link labeled "Edit this post" and add stuff there.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MotS is an awesome game. Better than the original Jedi Knight? No, but it's almost as good and definitely worth getting. The only problem I had with it was that the story wasn't fleshed out enough, but there's only so much you can expect from an expansion pack. As for a mod, that's something I'd love to do but it's probably out of the question given the amount of time it's going to take just remaking JK. You never know, of course...

I got MotS over eBay when I bought JK; no matter where you are there's almost no chance of finding it in a store as it's no longer in production and can't even be bought directly from LucasArts (which is annoying because they still offer JK). I'm not sure how being in NZ affecting using eBay, but I'd suggest trying that or an equivalent service. There were quite a few copies available (used, of course) as of a couple years ago.

I bought it from the LucasArts company store in August 2001 as a place holder for Jedi Outcast. Unfortunately, they're not carrying it anymore and I don't even see JK listed there either. It looks like your best bet is ebay. You shouldn't have a problem getting a hold of it as long as the seller is willing to ship worldwide, which they'll usually tell you right on the page. Just keep an eye on shipping costs. They could be expensive.

Oh, and I'm too busy with school right now to do much work on the mod. Maybe there'll be some progress over the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

IMHO, MotS was the best of all the DF/JK level, design, and fun wise, but was the worst as far as look and polish. Seemed a bit rushed to market to me (It came out only four or five month after DFII/JK was released). Raven took more ideas out of MotS for JO and JA than DF and DFII/JK combined. If someone were to do MotS, I'd be happy if they only did the last four levels (the Sith Temple). That alone deserves the JA treatment.

I concur with Professor Ben. MOTS was a better gameplay and graphics experience than the original DF and DF2JK. It did however, leave something a little more desired and that was cutscenes. The in-game cutscenes were horrible, leaving very little satisfaction for completeing a level only to find a blah, so-so custscene. I myself think cutscenes are an integral part to any game, but must be done flawlessly (not just graphics mind you) in context, story/plot, timing, duration (can't be too long winded, but tell the story straight), as well as graphic beauty. I seriously enjoy playing a game through a level or two, and then getting rewarded with a FANTASTIC cutscene which tells another piece of the story. DF and DF2JK could have had more to completely tell the story as well. (Their cutscenes rocked!!)

Once again, I will make reference to AK Piggott's BOAM series, done in the MOTS engine. He made the best use of the limited cutscene capabilities, but laid out and told an absoultely fantastic story with his well executed cutscenes.

Having said all that...MOTS STILL kicks ass, and I'd love to see someone mod it for JA...especially now that the source code for Q3A is available. I would only dispute Ben in saying that the entire game should be done...not just the temple levels.

Keep kicking butt with these MOD projects, we're coming along slow but sure with ours (SOTE MOD for JA) :twogun:

MG

BTW...the new avatar is Dash Rendar........ suppiled by Lucasforums....not me!! I'm much uglier.

The in-game cutscenes were horrible
I seem to remember reading that LA wanted to make live action cinematics, but due to time constraints and budget, they had to whip the ingame ones together at the last minute (almost literally from what I hear).
I'd love to see someone mod it for JA
Perhaps after DF2MOD and SOTE mod are done, we can join forces and roxors people's soxors!!!!!11oneone

Seriously. After SOTE MOD is done (which is scheduled to happen right after my avion-swine hybrid is complete :lol: ) I would like to start another mod. I plan on either a MOTS mod, or a Dark Forces PREQUEL. If I were to do a prequel, I'd base it on Rahn's and Morgan Katarn's wacky zany adventures to Ruuson and the Valley of the Jedi. However, before I start that, I need to find out a few things about the events that occur between the founding of the Emperor's New Order (Revenge of the Sith) and Dark Forces 1. (potential reappearance of Asajj Ventress & Aurra Sing?? Epic duel between Rahn and Jerec?? The possibilities are endless). O.k. enough of my BS. Back to DF2MOD.

What are the major models (character, object, & vehicle) that you guys need?

Hey guys i was just wondering if u r keeping the original cut scenes in the mod cause i loved them and with out them u wouldn't have the Kyle u have now but it would be kool if u kept them in there. R u ???

You would only have had to have gone back like one page in this thread to find the answer to that question, but here you go: The original cutscenes are already converted and generally ready to go for JA, and they would almost certainly be the cutscenes provided with any demo release. However, there is a possibility of some or all of them being redone, in-engine, assuming there is enough time and there are talented people to work on it. If that happened (yes, that is an "if"), the Kyle model would probably be as close to the Kyle in the cutscenes as possible. Probably.

I would like to start another mod. I plan on either a MOTS mod, or a Dark Forces PREQUEL.

Oh no you don't. If you finish SOTE you're starting a MOTS mod! I won't have it any other way! :lol:

Seriously, as far as models are concerned, I'd say we need most of the baddies. You know, Gorc, Pic, Boc, those flying bug things (Mailocs, I think), sentry droids, the works. From what I hear we have a modeler doing work for us but neither Shamus nor myself have seen any work from him recently. I should look into it.

don't u just hate school at times

High school: yes, but I'm in university now so my schedule is much more flexible. Unfortunately, art homework takes up most of my free time during the week. So, you might say, it's homework I hate. :)

In my opinion i reacon u should use the model of Kyle from Jedi Outcast it saves alot of time and they say lucasarts tried to get as close to Jason Court the guy who played Kyle in Dark Forces 2 but i was just wondering if u r using it???

Also is Kyle going to have his green and yellow lightsaber rather than his blue one??

Hey Codja X, you should know that Droid's tool is sh*t. ;) Doesn't do texture/model importing and just generally sucks. In my not so humble opinion, of course. :) Seriously though, I've been toying with the idea of putting the reference maps up on a page similar to the texture page we've got up... Thoughts?

Hey Codja X, you should know that Droid's tool is sh*t. ;) Doesn't do texture/model importing and just generally sucks. In my not so humble opinion, of course. :)

Agreed. I've just got 01narshadda imported and basically it needs the entire level rebuilding from scratch. It's not even good enough to use for reference!

Seriously though, I've been toying with the idea of putting the reference maps up on a page similar to the texture page we've got up... Thoughts?

If you can get a reference map page up, then fantastic. There are a lot of talented mappers out there who would most likely want to have a crack at converting some of the levels, but without wanting to commit to a mod team (time reasons, other projects etc). If they then want to contribute said map to the project...

I'm not 100% sure about the legality of putting up the maps as reference though. As long as you state that the maps are based on the originals and not the actual ones, I think you'd be safe. Considering how much work had to be done to get Droid's conversion through the vis process (and the glitches mentioned on your homepage), I don't think any reference maps could be construed as the originals anyway.

im Replying to this trhread on behalf of Vorec who was doing some textureing hes been offline due to pc malfunctions a=nd restarted on his textures

he wishes to know f his contributions are still welcome desired needed or 'bugger off you old coot'

Thanks Jereth

"Vorec vorec thats a name ive not heard in a long long time"

"you know him?"

Of corse i know him hes me"

Jereth

I was wondering why no one's heard from him in a while... Of course, he's still welcome. We just need to know what textures he's working on so we don't end up with any repeats, but we can probably coordinate all that through the team forums. Let him know he should email Shamus with regards to the mod and, hopefully, everything can be sorted out in due time.

im vorec

for a start

and i had to restart all my texture work due to a harddrive failure and not knowing what i sent already im using a new tequnique and am working flat out

i will however start on a different levels texs so i dont cramp anyones toes

vorec/jereth

Archived