Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Shamus

BTW, are you one of the original DF2 MOD writers? If so, what did you guys get done? Inquiring minds want to know! ;) [/b]

Yes i am the orginal project leader we got guite a bit done there was a number of maps at differnt stages, large chuck of textures was done. also some very early versions of part of the intro movie that was recreated. we was close to finishing the demo for narshadda

yes i do mean in animate as in non moving ie.

Guns ammo the crow ships things like tht ive good experiance working with a variety of 3d modelers and i belive the models in jk3 were .3ds origannly ?

also what % of textures were recreated

OK, this might be a totally insane thing to do, but I've put up the Unofficial DF2 Mod Homepage up on my server. It's not much to look at ATM, but that will change in time ;) (to those of you with webmaster aspirations: I will only accept valid, clean XHTML with CSS for styling--no flash, no Dreamweaver, NO FRONTPAGE! :p).

I've listed this forum as the point of contact for the mod, and that seems good enough for now. I would ask that anything regarding the DF2 mod be kept in this thread--after all, this forum is dedicated to the DF1 mod. ;)

Reaper: Would you be willing to pass on your assets?

I can knock out servearal textures a day depending on complexity the container with the chevrons is giving me a little bet of a headache but nothing major

as i was going to do the texture recreaion for myself i would like to formaly offer my services to the df2 team

Sounds good, but before I accept I'd like to see some of your new textures. :) I PM'd you with my email address, but if it didn't go through let me know and I'll PM you again.

EDIT: I sent you an email to the address you have listed below yesterday... Have you checked that account yet? I haven't yet received a reply.

EDIT: I finally got a reply late last night (mail's moving slow for some reason) but I still haven't gotten the one with textures. :-/

Well, if Mr. Katarn has given up, then those of us who are still interested in seeing this through will pick up the pieces and move forward. ;)

With that said, the unofficial DF2 mod team is still looking for texture artists, modelers, and mappers. If you've got the goods and want to help out, step forward. :)

And on a completely (well, nearly completely) unrelated subject: Does anyone remember seeing any animated neon signs in either JO or JA like you see in the bar in the beginning of DF2? If so, which level is it in and where is it located?

Originally posted by Locutus_of_Borg

It looks like the site's gone down. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' message. Are you re-doing it?

It's not down, and I've only made one change to it so far (announcing Vorec as a team member). I'd chalk it up to my ISP going flaky for a bit, as is their wont. ;) Usually the site is back up the next morning (morning as defined on the west coast of North America, that is ;)).

Disco Hips: What was the URL for this message board?

Alas Shamus, I am quietly confident that the boards have long since ceased to exist.

By bringing attention to the fact I was hoping that you would be able to contact Reaper and ask him for whatever assets he is able to hand over. In a nice way of course ;)

If you guys are serious about forming a team, I might be able to sort out some team forum space for you on our own team forums. This is what the last group did, and I still have the archive of their posts stored in the forum.

E-mail me at theone@jediknight.net if you want me to throw something together for you ;) It would at least give you a place to get things going, and you'll have the added benefit of the DFMOD team around to help :)

IMHO in every game the most important thing is gameplay. Graphics is important but not so much. Think about DF2: when it came out the graphics were already quite outdated but it was still a great game.

So I think the first and most important goal in this total conversion should be gameplay. From the posted screenshots this seems very promising. Thumbs up to Shamus! I'd really love to have a full set of the levels with NPCS, even with old textures. Those could be fixed in the following weeks/months.

A playable Total Conversion, even if not visually perfect, is a great achievment. Please don't "waste" precious time to make only a near-perfect first level with cutscenes and all. Stay on the target of a complete level set with NPCs. The exact NPCs charachters are not a priority as of new textures, IMHO. Every release should be a refinement of the last, not an add if you understand me. This way we could enjoy this TC from the start.

I hope I've been clear, it's not easy for me since I'm not english. :)

If you're looking for the thread on this forum for the old project, you just have to set it to show posts further back, as it is no longer sticky like this thread and it was last posted to 4-6-04. It's still there, though, four pages of discussion and all. Perhaps we can glean some useful info from it.

Originally posted by The_One

If you guys are serious about forming a team, I might be able to sort out some team forum space for you on our own team forums. This is what the last group did, and I still have the archive of their posts stored in the forum.

E-mail me at theone@jediknight.net if you want me to throw something together for you ;) It would at least give you a place to get things going, and you'll have the added benefit of the DFMOD team around to help :)

I emailed you, but haven't heard back yet. If you're wondering, yes, UH is me and I think this is a great idea. ;)

Originally posted by Shamus

I emailed you, but haven't heard back yet. If you're wondering, yes, UH is me and I think this is a great idea. ;)

Yep, I got your e-mail, but I haven't had a chance to reply yet. This weekend I'll get something sorted out, and mail you back :)

i was wondering if this mod was for jedi outcast or jedi academy? because half the site says mod for jedi academy, and the other says jedi outcast?

I downloaded the mod and first tried it in jedi academy and it partially works. Then i installed jedi outcast and installed the mod. And it works. But the site is very confusing since you say it is for one game and it is actually for another game.

well the first level looks great cant wait for the rest of it.

I am the webmaster, and to my knowledge, it says a "A Mod For Jedi Academy" in every instance on the website. The only place it does not say this is for the demo download, where it is clearly stated it is for Jedi Outcast. It is not my fault if you can't read, but when we moved to Jedi Academy, I went over the website with a fine toothed comb making sure all mentions of "Jedi Outcast" were corrected, with the exception of those where it was neccessary. The title bar says the mod is for JA, the banner says it is for JA, the forum banner says it is for JA, the about page says it is for JA...what more do you want?

Archived