Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slicer: No, not looking. Having to host the mod myself has forced me to learn a lot about the subject that I'd been to lazy to learn before, so I'm not too sorry about it. :D

blah2k4: Those models look pretty good! Too bad they're hosted on filefront. :( I haven't been able to download anything from their crappy web interface (every time I click on the "download" button it just reloads the damn download page :mad: ).

The texture recreation seems to have gotten a shot in the arm with some courageous volunteers stepping up to the plate, and the work they've done is quite good. :) More later...

Originally posted by Shamus

blah2k4: Those models look pretty good! Too bad they're hosted on filefront. :( I haven't been able to download anything from their crappy web interface (every time I click on the "download" button it just reloads the damn download page :mad: ).

I have both those models so I could send them to you via e-mail if you wanted. (Of course we'd need the authors permission first).

I have a question, should textures be the focus when mapping seems like a larger ordeal? I'm not trying to criticize, I'm sure you are very much in the right as to how things should be conducted. I'm a huge fan of DF2, I was hoping the JO mod DF2 Enhanced would have come to light, but to no avail. I sent an e-mail to the DF2 Enhanced mod leader inquiring if there are any remnants of the mod that might be useful for you guys, hopefully I hear something back.

ok I downloaded gimp 2.05 but ive been doing some other stuff and only got around to testing it now and it seems pretty good and easy to use but one question wasnt answered, can I create the appearance of beveled edges with gimp and if so how.

about your question blah2k4, modelling, mapping, and texturing are all very important and LOTS of work, and though ive never had any experience mapping or modelling(30 seconds of seeing gmax in use is all), if im not mistaken only 1 person can work on a specific map or model, but textures number in the thousands and are much easier to do, at least the tools are more accessible, so naturally more people are going to work on textures.

Gen. Armageddon: Can the Gimp do beveled edges? That and much, much more. As to exactly how... Well, that I don't know offhand, but I'm sure you can find something through Google... ;)

ION1022: We're using GTKRadiant which is nothing like AutoCAD (the authors of GTKR are actually trying to get it more like Maya). From what I understand, 3D Studio Max is more like a stripped down version of AutoCAD (made by the same company, BTW) but I wouldn't want to map with it. Modeling, maybe. :p But definitely not mapping.

I just Remembered (this may heve been completely covered) but the original Mod leader before Mr. Katarn was Reaper over at NWO2K.net. I was nosing around last night looking but didn't feel like regestering with the NWO ('cause it didn't have jack to do with rasslin') Maybe you can get a whole lot of needed material from him. I remember he had screens of the Nar Shaddaa level and it looked friggin awesome, and he stayed to the original maps which was most impressive, so I know some Real Progress had been made at one point. I think maybe the entirety of the project got to him which is why he stopped. Any way, get with him, maybe this will end up being a lot easier with the addition of his files. PEACE

(-windy sound- this forum has an eerie, uncomfortable quiet to it)I realize that this is probably thinking 24-30+ months ahead, but there are 2 things that I would like to see in the battle with Jerec. 1st, in the extracted voice files from JK there is one Jerec clip that goes "the force is strong with you", I believe the file labeled i00je02z . wav (on a side note that I would like you to consider, I have a tool that would easily allow me to add katarn so that it would say "the force is strong with you katarn" which I think sounds better, and I assure you it would sound exactly like it was what was recorded in the first place), anyway I dont know if it was just coincidence but I never heard it in game(couldnt beat in my first game as the dark side but I whooped his butt in my next light side and and have done so ever since as either side on any difficulty), anyway I think it would be cool if he said it in the mod. The 2nd thing is the music, I dont believe there was any music in the original game in that level for some reason but I think that the most fitting music for that level would be the one from jedi outcast in assets0. pk3\music\yavin_final called yavfinal_explore. mp3 or part of that clip mixed with other clip segments but still including the part of the music that you heard when Luke was fighting with Vader on the death star in RotJ, which i think just goes with the situation best, it just gives that sense of depth and seriousness that obviously applies to the battle with Jerec given what you are fighting for. Anyway thing about these ideas and tell me what you think.

also I would like to say that if there are ANY sounds, voice clips or music clips that you want me to touch up or edit i can(ive only had sone practice but I can cut pieces out of clips and splice them into other clips from the same characters while altering pitch/volume/other to make it sound just like a sentence as long as the words or possibly even just the syllables exist), i know that you probably wont even need this give that the music and voices in JK(perhaps not so much sounds) are high enough quality to keep, saving us the trouble that the DF mod team had but if there IS anything in the sound department to do let me know and ill give it a try, just a thought.

Hi,

I've studied Rich Diesal's tutorial page on mapping, but where do I go from there to learn more? Apparently he quit writing, and doesn't plan on starting again. I've decided to wait on level 19 of JK1, and see if it's possible to take over the "Legacy of Yun" project (this time for academy), which was unfortunately terminated :( .

'Nother idea: why can't you "borrow" some textures for Nar Shaddaa from outcast/academy? Not ALL of them, but enough to blend the games just a little, so they seem to fit each other. Frankly, Outcast Nar Shaddaa and Dark Forces 2 Nar Shaddaa seemed to me to be completely seperate planets, they looked so different. Like you said, you're not trying to just "copy" what LEC did in DF2.

Also, could you put up a "percent of demo finished" thing on your website, like the DF mod team did? Even if it keeps getting delayed like for them, it gives us something to look forward to, and hold our interest. And it gives you something to post updates about!

Thanks,

The Saxman

by recreate and not copy I believe that they mean make textures better and perhaps a little customized, add some custom details to the maps, ect.. ect.. though someone else should answer this

as for the progress indicator on the website I think its a good idea but (a)im not sure if this is the final website but Shamus is the best person to answer this, and (b)I dont think that there is enough progress at this point to make a progress indicator.

Stormhammer: The site is still up--maybe there was some network congestion on your end of the connection? :confused:

Gen. Armageddon: Thanks for the suggestions--I think we're OK as far as sounds go. ;)

Saxman: All I can suggest is to study other people's work and ask questions in the JKA mapping forums (that is, after you've read them ;) ). The example maps that come with GTKRadiant's JA pack have a lot to show you. :)

Archived