Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

Originally posted by Shamus

If you look under my posts, there's a little button labeled "www" for you to click on. ;)

Well curse me then...never noticed that button. And if I could do anything to help this mod (and the DF mod) then I certainly would, but my Photoshop skills are pretty noob (I just make random desktop backgrounds using the filters), and I have no mapping or coding experience. Just about the only things I've done related to JK have been playing the entire series :p. Don't know why I said all that, but I do wish you and your team lots of luck/success...I'll be watching (sounds freaky, doesn't it).

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sariss model was being worked on in the first DF2 Mod, but I'm not sure what happened on that front. I've been thinking of taking up a Yun model, it's much simpler than the other Jedi, if I do have success with it I'd move on to the others, I'm not promising much, but I do have a little start by having on old attempt at an Anakin model, the garb will be altered and simplified to match Yun's, we'll see how it goes. If I have any notable progress I'll post it up. I really wish Lightwave could be used for this, unfortunately the sheer poly count and conversion process wreaks havoc with any creation.

Okay. I thank you for answering my previous questions and suggestions. I now have more suggestions:

S1: According to the obectives, the final duel between Kyle and Jerec takes place inside the Valley core, which sucked up Kyle and Jerec. Now, after the FMV where Kyle defeats Bok (light side), attach to it an in-game gutscene with a hole blown in the core, and Kyle and Jerec being sucked in. The missionb ends, and when the next mission begins, and the next map is loaded, have it start out with an in-game cutscene with Kyle and Jerec plummeting from high above, and then have them be able to turn themselves upright, Force pull their free-falling sabers into their hands, and then land gently on the ground. Jerec then ignites his saber, and and it begins the familiar pan around the arena, with the camera traveling up the central tower, where Qu Rawn says his speech, "His heavy brow..." (This cutscene could also be done with the dark side.)

S2. I think you should also add tons of yellow light higher up in the air, since it's supposed to be inside the core. Perhaps have those little green and yellow "fire flies" swarming all over the place as well.

S3: After you strike the finishing blow upon Jerec, it should go into another in-game cutscene (this is on the light side, and an alternate to my previous suggestion of Kyle walking into the certal tower on the dark side). In this in-game cutscene, Kyle calls upon the surrounding power to elevate himself and Jerec into the air. They zoom upwards, and the level ends. Now you load the previous map of the Valley of the Jedi, where Kyle and Jerec are slung out of the hole in the core. Jerec limps around as the two exchange a few final saber blows, ending with Kyle striking the final blow. It'll then go into the FMV where Jerec falls down and says "I am defensless..." (This cutscene should only be for the light side. When playing the dark side, it should be replaced with my previous suggestion: Kyle walking into the central tower to consume the power.)

S4: Also note that there are no cutscenes prior to and following the fight with Bok when playing on the dark side. Perhaps in-game cutscenes can be placed here. You also do not see "the tresspass," since it has Jan in it, and she is obviously dead if you are playing the dark side. Perhaps you can edit this scene, and cut out the parts with Jan and Bok, and just show Jerec jumping into the core. (This is for the dark side only. The original cutscene is fine for the light side.)

Also, do you guys plan on making your own website?

I just wanted to say congratulations to the newest "Big Daddy" in the modding community - Shamus. Anyone who has been dropping in on his site from time to time knows he just became a proud papa and is too busy doing honeydo's and changing diapers to Update his site right now. Good going Shamus...hope to have you back soon.

Mike

Shamus,

I think your site is down at the moment. I clicked on your links and got back a "Cannot Find Server" message. Is it because of bandwith, etc.? From the few pics I have seen on this forum, it looks like a promising conversion. Good job. That means everyone on the team.

Hello,

first off, congrats to Shamus & missus with the new arrival. I'm sure you're over the moon.

Now, on to more serious matters ;) Is there any chance that we can start to have a play with what's been accomplished so far? i.e. Convert the levels, apply the textures, have a run around etc? Maybe this would be for JK owners only or maybe for anyone with a copy of JO only. Or at the very least, some screenies of the new textures applied to the Nar Shardaa (sic?) level. Maybe Shamus doesn't want to bother (understandable!) but can any of the rest of the team assist with this?

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the Mod and again, congratulations to Shamus and family.

Hello to all, DF 2 members. I have just read all 6 pages of this thread and from the looks of it you are doing pretty well. The Yun model that you are speaking of, I Have. I am currently fixing his taunts and making team colors for JA. I am also fixing Maw, Jerec, DF2 Kyle and a Sariss skin that looks wonderful. The Sariss skin was made by Mystery_Knight and is on Massassi.net and jk2files.com. I working with movies within JO and JA. Right now I am doing mostly prequel work, but one of my greatest movies I wanna do is a DF2 JK movie. I know theres not much to work on but with our combined help we can make this mod and movie come to life. I know a lot of great ppl in the JO-JA Community and im on AOTC TC team. My MSN Address is JediOutcastMovies@msn.com and website is http://www.jedioutcastmovies.2ya.com. I would really like to see and hear what else is being done in the mod and hopefully help add to it. I have played the JK series ever since DF2, which I have a lot of fond memories of. So hopefully I will hear something from someone here soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm sure this is the last thing any Mod team wants to be asked, but is there anything to report? Updates?

It's probably a bit unfair as Shamus is in the throes of babycare, but can any of the rest of the team elaborate for us?

Keep up the good work, and thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I know you already got a Kyle skin for the mod but there's another at pcgamemods.com Its the Jedi Knight Kyle.I want to know if you can use this one too,the skin is well when you play JKDF2 you see Kyle having black panits,but during game play his belt is different and he has some brown things covering his legs below the knee do you know what i'm talking about?Well this skin is the JKDF2 Kyle looks exeactly like he does in the movie's/plays in JKDF2 If you don't use it its fine its just I like it better then the other skin in the JKDF2 model pack.

Work on the mod is progressing smoothly, albiet a bit slow at the moment. I'm hoping to contribute enough to have a finished Nar Shaddaa texture set by sometime in April but no promises...;)

Abe13: As far as skins are concerned, we don't have one for Kyle or any of the principal characters yet but anything we use must be original or at least credited to the original authors. If you have any of your own work you'd like to contribute, please feel free to do so. I'll look into those skins you mentioned. Thanks!

Originally posted by DarkStarMojo

As far as skins are concerned, we don't have one for Kyle or any of the principal characters yet but anything we use MUST BE ORIGINAL or we must have permission of the original authors.

I am a Member of the SOTE MOD team and we went through all of this stuff on skins/models, etc...while doing basic character R&D.

Our leader, Jedispy is a good skinner, but he felt to speed things up we needed to borrow a few things, so he set out on the same course as you, ran into a bunch of dead ends (guys who no longer do this stuff any more, but the sites/mods they did were still being hosted) and did the right thing...he used the stuff anyway, making sure the original authors get the credit for the work we are using in this MOD.

The important thing to remember first and foremost is that EVERYTHING..., I mean every last friggin thing...LEC original or Mod community is the sole intelluctual property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm, LEC, Raven, Activision, ID..etc.

I am by no means suggesting you rip off anyone's work. Try to contact the original author first...really try. If you can not contact or get permission, then you can use it anyway (again because of the intellectual property mumbo jumbo). as long as you simply acknowledge that the model is indeed not yours, it is someone else's work....simply list them in the credits in the README file you ABSOLUTELY MUST INCLUDE WHEN YOU RELEASE YOUR MOD. End game credits are another good place to give proper credit where it is due.

One must keep in mind that all of this work is done as a labor of love, there is absoultely ZERO PROFIT IN ANY OF THIS WORK WHATSOEVER... for any of us...period. Nobody in the MOD community "owns" their models, is getting paid a dime for this stuff, everything MUST BE FREELY DISTRIBUTED, etc... but the correct thing to do is to give the credit for their hard work and efforts. This accomplishes two things; 1...It acknowledges the fact that you are indeed truly a standup guy, and not a ripoff artist. 2...By being such a standup guy, it may encourage more people to join the MOD in the first place, knowing everything they do, they get the credit for. After all, End game credits/readme credits is the only form of payment the original work authors ever receive, exept for the huge forum pat-on-the-back, if the MOD is truly successful.

I am the one who is doing our README, and I have to tell you, the credit is being given for everything down to the last microscopic detail. I suggest you do the same thing I did, and start with the sample README from Massassi Temple. It is a great basic readme to work from.

Don't let something as trivial as not being able to do original skins and models hold you up. Remember, the DF TEAM has given full permission to use their Skins, models, textures, etc...as long as we give props. I already have them listed in the readme file for a great many things.

Good luck, carry on, Let's play JK and SOTE on 2K5!!!

You're absolutely right about skins and stuff like that. It's really a common courtesy to ask permission but if we can't get in touch with the original authors then we'll use what we need and give credit where credit is due. I, personally, would like to use the Jerec and Maw models that were released a long time ago (by the original JK Mod team, I think) since that would give us a jump start on some of our modeling/skinning work (which we need). Of course, Shamus would know more about what we plan to use than I would. ;)

If anybody has anything they'd like to contribute to the mod (textures, models, skins, etc.) or would like to join the team to contribute as a full member, don't be afraid to send samples of your work. We need all the help we can get.

Archived