Home

What was your first PC gaming addiction?

txa1265

Hey all:

What was the first PC (by that I mean non-console, non-arcade, non-GB) gaming addiction? Mac or Amiga are ok, as they are 'personal computers'.

What grabbed you about this game?

When did you play it last?

Mike

I would have to say Eye Of The Beholder II, which I played before the first one. A friend of mine brought the game into work with him one day, installed it on the PC (we shared it at the time), and introduced me to the whole CRPG genre. We sat down together during lunch breaks to play through it together (taking turns), and it was just a great experience.

After that, I got the game and installed it on my PC at home, and I remember starting lots of different parties with different mixes of characters to see how well they performed. Needless to say, I played through the game multiple times from start to finish, and I will still occasionally fire it up to give it a spin.

I bought the other two games in the trilogy, and the first one was almost as enjoyable as EOB2, although the ending was a bit naff. The third in the series simply was not as well executed as the other two - and I think the reason was that Westwood was no longer involved in the franchise at that point.

Westwood went on to produce Lands Of Lore, which to my mind was a good indication of what EOB3 should have been. Unfortunately, I could never get Lands Of Lore to run on any Pentium system, in spite of patches and fiddling with DOS boxes. The game just crashes after the opening screen - but it was a good game while it lasted.

So I can highly recommend Eye Of The Beholder II as one of the better RPG games to grace a computer screen...

As far as I can recall, it was Descent II, followed very shortly by Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Since then I've been hooked on all games in the Descent series (though my PC was weird so I never finished III), including Freespace I & II, and the JK series. And that was it to start with, though I expand now. MYST nailed it for me too.

My first computer was a commodore 64, and I always used to play the cartridge soccer game it came with, as well as LeMans racing(using paddles!)... but my first 'modern' PC was a pentium 200(back when a p200 was top notch :p ) I bought the Lucasarts collection vol.2. which had rebel assault 1 and 2...i played them many many times, I still really enjoy RA2 to this day, last played it about 2 months ago ! I did spend alot more time though on XW vs Tie back in the day, not to mention JKI/MOTS.....

ah, the memories...

mtfbwya

The first games I remember playing were Civ 1 and Settlers 2 (I wasn't allowed violent games - and only allowed on my pc for 30 mins a week :p look where its got me), but the first game I played for a long time in one day was Grim Fandango (when I was 8 ).

As I look back, my PC gaming has gone in cycles.

In college, it was the Apple ][+, and defined by Castle Wolfenstein (and to a lesser extent Karateka).

Then there was the FPS era, jump started by a game I was psyched about - Wolf 3D.

Then there was the Jedi Era - after both of my kids were born, I discovered Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith, which rekindled my Star Wars love, and the love of my fave game of the FPS era, Dark Forces.

So when Return to Castle Wolfenstein was coming out, I expected it to be similarly cathartic. It wasn't, but it did get me started again seriously gaming ... leading into my major love of Jedi Knight II ...

Mike

Well, my first was some kind of medieval fantasy game on the Commodore 64 (it's been so long I don't remember what it was called.

Then it was the gorillas with exploding banannas on DOS.

Then it was a game called Humans on Win 3.1 (I could only play it a short while at a time because it got boring, but I was determined to win, although I never did).

Then it was Quake 2 on Win 95 (or was it 98...or does it even matter???).

My first SW game addiction was Tie Fighter, then X-Wing Alliance, which I still play.

And Astrotoy, I used to play LeMans racing all of the time. I'd forgotten all about that one till I read your post.

My first computer games were at my grandpa's house on his commodore 64 (easily 1986 or so), Defender was the game (among others) that got me hooked...got all the way up to level 55 once...last played the C64 version.....geez, YEARS ago...played Defender on the Game boy Advance SP a few weeks ago

still a killer game, but I'd need an old-school joystick to really play it again

Archived