Home

Binge kills "first-time" teen drinker

rccar328

Originally posted by rccar328

This is kinda sad, but it's funny, too:

Here's a synopsis:

Aparently, this 16-year old girl, who was an honors student and had campaigned against drugs & alchohol at her school, got extremely drunk at her cousin's 17th birthday party...drunk enough that she died.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

*shakes head*

People need to learn to drink responsibly if they are going to drink. I know when I've had enough. Parents should really try hard to atleast teach their kids when enough is enough.

also, vodka isn't a good drink for a first time drinker. She really should have known better if she was a activist against alcohol, they spout facts of how much alcohol is contained in each type of drink. She really should have known that.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Parents should really try hard to atleast teach their kids when enough is enough.

The difficult thing is how many people take this 'just say no' attitude, or think that at 16 their little baby girl is too young to think about this stuff ...

Teach moderation and responsibility. Forced ignorance and abstinance from anything makes that thing more attractive - and dangerous - to you.

Sad.

Mike

Originally posted by narfblat

I disagree. One drink can start the path to alcoholism. The best way is not to start.

That's a pretty strange way to view things. That's like saying "there's no point in crossing the road, on the off chance you might get run over."

Most things in life are fine in moderation, if controlled and understood by the user. When people take it to the next level, then it becomes dangerous. People should be made to understand where the lines are, and what the dangers are if they cross them. Well, that's my view anyway. At the end of the day, it's upto the user what they do or don't do, and so it would be sensible to have a good understanding of what they are doing before they do it.

Originally posted by jokemaster

Drinking too much water can be lethal too, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't drink it.

Yes, but drink too little and you die, so it isn't necessarily a good analogy.

Alcohol is not necessary. It is a recreational intoxicant attached to a sometimes very good tasting carrier (beer, wine, etc).

Mike

well, it is tremendously sad. Being an anti drug and alcohol campaigner highlights even a young person who is educated about the risks can still go ahead and binge drink... and thats a worry....

*astro did his share of binge drinking in his uni days, but urges you kids not to...... drink a little, have fun, dont drive* [/falls on deaf ears?]

mtfbwya

For me, I never understood the fascination with alcohol that we Americans seem to have. I guess it is linked to having a good time and therefore we must drink in order to do so. I don't see the point to making myself mentally impaired and unable to control myself.

I'm 23 and have had maybe 3 beers in my entire life. I don't drink, not because I think it is an evil, but simply because I don't like the taste. I certainly don't spout about how people should not drink, it is simply a matter of choice. Some studies have even shown that a few drinks each night may be helpful.

So, this story is sad, but she should not have been drinking while underage. It is mostly her own fault.

Originally posted by narfblat

You can't get hit by a truck if you look down the road.

You also can't get alcohol poisoning if you don't drink too much alcohol ;)

I'm 19 and in college, and I just don't feel any desire to drink. I try the stuff the people up here drink, and it's TERRIBLE. Ugh, I just hate the taste of alcohol I guess.

Sad story about the girl though. :(

Originally posted by rccar328

This is kinda sad, but it's funny, too:

Here's a synopsis:

Aparently, this 16-year old girl, who was an honors student and had campaigned against drugs & alchohol at her school, got extremely drunk at her cousin's 17th birthday party...drunk enough that she died.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Wow now thats scary, but dont see why its so funny.......

Aint 16 underage to drink alchol? Or do they allow 16 year olds to drink them in other countries?

Originally posted by InsaneSith

*shakes head*

People need to learn to drink responsibly if they are going to drink. I know when I've had enough. Parents should really try hard to atleast teach their kids when enough is enough.

also, vodka isn't a good drink for a first time drinker. She really should have known better if she was a activist against alcohol, they spout facts of how much alcohol is contained in each type of drink. She really should have known that.

At 16 do you really think that responsibiliy is hammered into their brain yet? No... Espically for a young American girl...

Parents don't teach kids "when you are too drunk to talk maybe youve had enough" most parents don't even tell their kids not to drink. But do they even have to if its illegal in the first place?

Any alcoholic drink isn't good for a first time drinker...

Knowing the facts about alcohol wont help significantly in my opinion. Half the time when you get a mixed drink at parties like that you dont even know what kind of liquer is used, let alone its alcohol content.

Besides, I would imagine as an activist against alcohol...she was constantly being told how bad it was to drink, but when she finally did...she was probably like "eh this isnt as bad as they say it is."

A 16 year old girl shouldnt be drinking anyways...she probably barely even weighd 100lbs too.

btw, Homer...it isnt just Americans who have a facination with alcohol. Man, beer was around in Gilgameshs' time as one of the main drinks. And what about all the other countries who have much lower legal drinking ages.

Rule of thumb: Drink before Drinking.

I've heard something similar before, but it was phrased this way:

Drink lots of water before you go out and drink.

Then you won't drink as much.

Personally, I don't know if it works, as I only drink occasionally, and then just a little at a time (I'm 22, so it's legal).

For me, I never understood the fascination with alcohol that we Americans seem to have. I guess it is linked to having a good time and therefore we must drink in order to do so. I don't see the point to making myself mentally impaired and unable to control myself.

I was told in a history class that in the middle ages, people would drink wine instead of water because of pollution of the water supplies. After more sanitary sewage & waste disposal methods were created and it became safe to drink the water again, drinking alchohol became more of a recreational activity.

What that has to do with the topic I'm not sure, but there it is.

Personally (and as an American), I don't understand people's compulstion to drink to excess. I used to hang out with some people in high school, and we were good friends. When we got into college, though, their every weekend was spent getting drunk at parties. I couldn't be with them (thankfully, or I might have been pulled into it as well) because I had to work on weekends, and after a short while I found their obsession with their next session of drunkenness to be tiring and annoying. Needless to say, I do not hang out with them anymore.

On the topic of moderation versus abstinence, I find that that depends very strongly on the person. I know people who completely abstain from alchohol, and this suits them fine. I know others who drink occasionally, and have no problems with alchohol abuse. And I've met others who are struggling because their every waking moment is spend concentrating on when and where and how they'll get their next drink.

I had my own personal bout with alchoholism shortly after I turned 21 and was able to buy liquor. After getting drunk a few times, I tried abstaining completely, but I found the nagging to go and buy and drink alchohol to be unbearable. Now, I only drink in moderation, and I never drive after drinking, no matter the amount. It's not my first choice - I'd much rather abstain altogether. But it does work.

I guess my point in all of that is that occasional drinking in moderation is not really a bad thing - especially if it is done responsibly, legally, and you do not drive after drinking.

My first reaction to the article was that it was funny because the girl was an advocate against drug & alchohol abuse. But in retrospect, there really isn't much about it that is amusing.

Archived