Home

British Comedy Vs. Everyone else

Joshi

You're all forgetting the classic Rab C Nesbitt!

Anyway, personally, I believe that British comedy is more amusing than American because the of the wit. The gags seem to be a lot less obvious than those in American comedy.

The other thing with American comedy, in particular sit-coms, is that they all seem to follow the same formula. Typically, you have the smart female characters who always outwit the men, the gags are very visually obvious, which often spoils it. There's always one 'ditzy' character. Black characters always have the comedic upperhand over the white characters, just as the women have the comedic upperhand over the men.

Oh. Let's not forget the token camp gay character, so everyone can laugh at their ridiculous lines of "Whatever!" or "Oh my god. You look so cute in that... *limp wrist*, well for someone who looks so un-cute all of the time". Or in every one in three episodes someone new will try to infiltrate the group of main characters and they'll all end up rejecting them because they were so awful, or something.

I think I should go into writing successful American sit-coms. ;)

Exactly, british comedy is completely unpredictable. for a start, the whole Only Fools and Horses things was great as it was completely non-linear and non-static, whereas something like friends, seems a little predicable at times. Also, characters were consistent in Fools, whereas in friends, almost all of them are completely different now to as they were when the show first started (slightly apart from Joey, but he was always a little flat and his whole sleeping with everyone thing has become alittle old now) which in a way can be good as it shows them growing, but instead, it's as if they've turned into completely different people.

Archived