Home

Star Wars Redemption: A JKA Scripted Movie

lukeskywalker1

I decided to make a new thread. Basically, this is a movie for JA Single Player, aka, a cutscene. It will be made up of different levels. When I say movie, it means there is no playing. Just watching, like a movie. My old thread, located here basically said the same thing. So, why the new thread? There are several reasons. Its now for JA. It now has a name (Star Wars: Redemption) and, I have finally got some proof that this project is still alive. Not to mention, the old thread is old. :D The trailer is complete, well, the scripted part is. All I have to do is get the 'ok' from N3G1@, and ill send it to him, and he will add in all the sounds. With that said, lets move on.

14 Screenshots of the Trailer to keep you happy for now:

Edited: Scroll down for the links!

Bandwidth is short, I only get 5 MBs a day with this host, so if you run out of bandwidth, check back early the next day.

The trailer is 3.34 MB (3,511,286 bytes). Its 1:43 mins long, and 320 x 240 resolution. WMV Format, the bitrate is 264Kbps, Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9

VBR Quality 75, 44 kHz, stereo 1-pass VBR. Video codec is: Windows Media Video 9. 30 Frames Per Second.

Yeah.. not that good. Thats a good reason why the final release should just simply be left in JA. Unless you want to DL a 100 MB movie. Not many people will download a movie like that, at least, not a fan film movie made through a video game. In JA, your resolution could reach 2048 X 1536, reach a FPS a lot higher than 30 (the trailer is 30 FPS) Dynamic Glow, the Highest possible sound, and much more, for a small download of maybe 10 MBs.

The trailer is basically a preview of some of the major characters in this movie. Later on, closer to the end of this project, I will make a Trailer 2, which will actually have parts of the movie in it, just to reming people that this project is still out there. Thats the reason for this trailer. Nothing that happens in this trailer happens in the movie. Some of the things that happen, may resemble things that happen in the movie, but its not exact.

This project has the potential to be really good, or really bad, depending on how its done. Progress is slow, because of the scripting. The mapping can be done pretty easily. Right now, im scripting and mapping, and I did a few simple skins. N3G1@ is adding sound to the trailer, making the menu screen, and making new animations for the film. I had all the voice actors I needed, but its been so long since ive contacted them, that im not even sure if they will be available anymore. Im going to reply in my old recruiting thread and ask them to reply here, if they are still onboard, if none reply, I will then need new voice actors.

Right now, im taking the two biggest parts, Luke and Cortez. Kyle will be taken from the game, and so will Jan. Some JK2 sounds may be used in this project.

__

Redemption Characters

Kyle Katarn - The main character in this story, he is a Jedi Master at the Jedi Academy.

Luke Skywalker - Luke is the leader of the Jedi Academy, and will come in handy later on in the story. Luke will originally send Kyle on this mission from the Academy.

Cortez - The Dark Jedi who is the mastermind behind the plot, to take over the galaxy, starting with the destruction of the Jedi Academy.

Boba Fett - Boba Fett plays two roles in this story, the first one, as a mercenary for hire, the second role, as a man seeking revenge.

Jan Ors - The long time partner of Kyle Katarn, who is sent to assist Kyle on this mission.

Stormtrooper Commander - A minor character in this story, this is the best stormtrooper in Cortez' army. He wears the traditional white armor, as well as blue armor.

Reborn Warrior - One of the last reborn from Dessan and Tavion's armies. He is trying one last time to gain power and control.

Rebel Spy - The spy for the New Republic who finds out about Cortez' plan to conquer the galaxy.

Rebel Commander - The commander of the rebels sent to assist Kyle and Jan on their mission.

Be sure to check out my site for the latest information on the project: http://www.freewebs.com/bens_maps

-lukeskywalker1

Great to hear you are making progress! Let's hope the "cinematic format" doesn't bring you such problems as it did for Kengo and especially me. Just take care to write very fine scripts. They can pose surprising problems. Especially in JA.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Hey lassiv, do you think the guys who had trouble running yours, didnt have some kind of weird mod installed or something?

Possibly, but it was a pretty widespread problem. Its amazing how often there are problems with different files because they clash for some reason, you just can't really do much to avoid it so it would seem.

The screenshots look interesting - I see some good action is involved, definately the hardest thing to script by a distance (for me anyway) and always what people want to see! Sounds a good decision to split it into smaller parts too.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Hey lassiv, do you think the guys who had trouble running yours, didnt have some kind of weird mod installed or something?

Considering Team Corellia Part1 the main problem was the wait("task") command that turned out to be unsuitable for certain situations, as was confirmed by Jesterspaz. The models missing in the very first version (what a n00b error on my part) was however related to the fact that many models are only shipped with the Radiant package.

A number of people had troubles with Lighthouse, and I think many of those problems arose from bad scripting conventions... Hopefully I have learnt from past mistakes and my scripts will be better in the future (and at present) :)

Just a little word of advise (and this is completely up to your preference):

If you're going to include stormies + e11s, USE HAPSLASH'S FOR HOLY PENGUINS!!!

I'm sure the devilish modeller/skinner would have no problem letting you use his creations in the video, and I feel they would definitely bring about a greater visual effect..

Enough of my rambling, nice effort in the project so far.

Yeah, they are nice, but I took them out of my base folder when I recorded that, because I didnt have permission. The stormtroopers/sandtrooper models he made are some of the best models out there, and some of the few Ive downloaded. Ive also downloaded the anakin model (that was a good model)

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive Luke, I don't think anyone has scripted JA combat so well since the game itself was made. A few nice camera moves too, I especially liked the zooming in on a stormtrooper then pulling back suddenly as he fired at our heroes. In a few places it is just a little bit confusing I guess, I don't really understand why a part of the floor falls away, a stormtrooper falls into it, then Boba flies into it then out again? Maybe it will become clearer after a few more watches. Anyway, I can really appreciate the excellent and challenging scripting, well done!

Everything in the trailer reflects something that happens in the movie. So you know, with those 2 characters something is going to happen with a whole, and an explosion ;)

I don't really understand why a part of the floor falls away, a stormtrooper falls into it, then Boba flies into it then out again?

Oh, and notice when hes falling (if you can see it) there are det packs in his hands. He sets them inside of the hole.

Wow I just watched your trailer luke, it looks good. Kengo you certainly have some good compitition now! As I am in the JA movie business aswell, I prefer working with people then computers. Its just my way. Good luck on your movie dude, cant wait to see it finished!

Originally posted by wedge2211

Some very impressive camera/scripting work there! (I actually think some bits were done better than Kengo's...*frantically looks over shoulder*). I hope you have a good, riveting, original plotline to go with it.

Wheres your damn voice-actor loyalty? Eh? Eh? ;) I definately think you've handled the action very well, something I haven't got close to yet. Camerawork is very good in places too, and its dramatic - a hard thing to do.

Maybe you could restrict the area with NPC_noentry (or what was the special clip shader again) and use camera_groups for the NPCs to keep them on the center of the view. Then just turn them loose and let the AI do the fighting, at least as far as you would like something special to happen. And you could of course just put there triggers that only control the cameras. That way you could also keep the action close to the view.

You could monitor healt or just let the fighting go on for some specified time, and when that happens, turn them to behaviorstate(cinematic) once again and make them go to some specific spot, and continue with more traditional fully scripted cinematic work.

• 1 month later...

Alright, I think Ive figured the order of things out:

• Star Wars Scrolling Text (A long time ago in a galaxy far far away........ etc etc)
  • Chapter 1 "The Spy"
  • Part 1 "Enter Cortez"
  • Part 2 "The Breifing"
  • Part 3 "The Seperation"
  • Chapter 2 "The Base"
  • Part 1 "Breaking In"
  • Part 2 "Stormtroopers!"
  • Part 3 "Captured"
  • Chapter 3 "Saving Kyle"
  • Part 1 "Luke's Vision"
  • Part 2 "Cortez' Plan"
  • Part 3 "Luke's Journey"
  • Part 4 "Luke's Plan"
  • Chapter 4 "Finale"
  • Part 1 "Boba's Revenge"
  • Part 2 "Reborn Power"
  • Part 3 "Boba's Fight"
  • Part 4 "Cortez' Story"
  • Part 5 "The Death of a Brother"
  • Credits

It looks like a lot, but its not... in total 15 maps. But the scenes are short. Like "The Breifing" thats just it... apart from some ships flying, its just a breifing. :) The hard ones will be fighting scenes. There will be a short fight in all of them, except "The Breifing."

Im hoping to get it done by the end of the summer, Trailer one is at http://www.PCGAMEMODS.com

• 2 weeks later...

Around this time last year I started scripting (at least a working script)

I loaded Kengo's tutorials, and made a box. I threw an info_player_start in the room, and put a camera in, I soon learned that the player doesnt show up, so i put NPC_kyle in. I added a little octagonal pipe through the wall, some stormtroopers in a room that followed. I learned camera movement by scripting the camera throguh the pipe. I learned walking by making the stormtroopers aproach an officer, I learned talking by scripting a small convo... little did i know that crappy script would turn into this :D After 7 (non-stop scripting) I released on June 8th here, and June 9th at gamingforums.

Anyways, enough of that. Trailer1 is on JK3files.com a little let down because of the rating (5.5 currently) I wish people would post why they gave it a low score, im trying to make this project the best I can. If it wasnt for a lot of you, I would still have a big box room, and some crappy scripts.

Anyways, in Part 1, its in coruscant, and im trying to make it like a real city. NPCs walking the streets, ships flying... things like that. Ive already got maybe 10-15 NPCs doing 'stuff' and 2 ships flying around (one of them has some weird MD3 bug, the other is the spy's stolen ship)

Ill post some screenshots tommorrow, and please, critisize! Lassev has done a nice job so far (really... I want constructive criticism.

Archived