Home

It's a horrible time for internet security

The_One

I only use IE for managing my programs connecting to the web, no hacking attempts because of the router and you need a trojan placed first.. Though it may have been reflected that VIRUSES ARE EVERYWHERE!! if thats the case you dont go to the 'right places'..Anyways;

im much more 'shocked' by spam than the viruses...spam are the real partybreakers

Longhorn, and Palladium is still a long way away.

I would see what XP SP2 has to offer, the main issue is the My Computer Security Zone, a hidden one, but where virus writers try to get their code to execute. It's do with running html in explorer, ie making your folders look pretty, etc

XP SP2 is meant to be making changes to this zone, and locking it right down. It also means MS making changes to their default Web View stuff so it works properly when this zone is locked down a lot tighter. As well as adding Windows Firewall, an update to ICF

Sadly, too many of the Spam and Virus/Trojan attacks are people who find scripts, start them running, and do it for the sake of cheesing people off.

How many pieces of spam have the %RANDOMTEXT% variable not even set?? How many of them now use this random word generator to begin the email to beat spam content filters??

Where there is a will, there is a way, and it is the average joe who will suffer, who doesn't know they need firewalls, anti-virus and spyware removal tools just to be online and be safe.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Sweet :) You got that also? I got that when I put up the wireless, and its on a 166mhz and works like a dream!

But yeah, I also have noticed a lot of unusual popups lately...

Actually, I've never downloaded that software in my entire life. :p I just remember that it's supposed to be really good, I was going to make one of my computers a firewall with that, but then I remembered my modem has a built-in firewall.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and it is the average joe who will suffer, who doesn't know they need firewalls, anti-virus and spyware removal tools just to be online and be safe.

What microsoft should do, is guide you on how to update and the different antivirus/firewall software out then, and then everytime there's a critical vulnerability give a message popup to go to Windows Update, and then remind them after every bootup if they don't have the patches. Those that don't want the popup then will have to go to microsoft.com and check out a regedit guide to set the dword value to 0, thus making more people update more often while those that know how to work the registry(and most probably update often) can leave it the old way.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

Longhorn, and Palladium is still a long way away.

I would see what XP SP2 has to offer, the main issue is the My Computer Security Zone, a hidden one, but where virus writers try to get their code to execute. It's do with running html in explorer, ie making your folders look pretty, etc

XP SP2 is meant to be making changes to this zone, and locking it right down. It also means MS making changes to their default Web View stuff so it works properly when this zone is locked down a lot tighter. As well as adding Windows Firewall, an update to ICF

Sadly, too many of the Spam and Virus/Trojan attacks are people who find scripts, start them running, and do it for the sake of cheesing people off.

How many pieces of spam have the %RANDOMTEXT% variable not even set?? How many of them now use this random word generator to begin the email to beat spam content filters??

Actually, I was reading up on Windows XP SP2 the other day, and it looks like it could be quite good. Although, I expect within a couple of weeks from release, hackers will have familiarised themselves with its various exploits. Anyway, it seems as if MS are trying to keep the "average joe" secure, without having to make him worry too much about updating his protection etc.. I think this is neccessary, and having built-in protection in Windows is certainly going to help - makes your feel more secure, and it uses up less resources.

@ Tyrion and Sam Fisher: Don't you think it pretty much sums up the state of internet security when for some people their only option is to dedicate an entire PC to securing their net connection?

*goes back to nuclear shelter*

Originally posted by The_One @ Tyrion and Sam Fisher: Don't you think it pretty much sums up the state of internet security when for some people their only option is to dedicate an entire PC to securing their net connection?

*goes back to nuclear shelter*

Yeah it is pretty crummy..but it's not Microsoft's fault. As much as I dislike thier buisness practices, thier OS is fairly stable and they come out with patches quickly. The reason why it seems like there's so many exploits, is because it's the most widely used OS in the world! I would bet you, that if everyone suddenly switched to Linux or Mac, they too would become much more vulnerable because more viri and spyware would be written for them. Because they have a relatively small user-base, most virus writters rarely want to target them(since at least a few of them do it for the 15 minutes of fame).

Originally posted by Tyrion

Yeah it is pretty crummy..but it's not Microsoft's fault. As much as I dislike thier buisness practices, thier OS is fairly stable and they come out with patches quickly. The reason why it seems like there's so many exploits, is because it's the most widely used OS in the world! I would bet you, that if everyone suddenly switched to Linux or Mac, they too would become much more vulnerable because more viri and spyware would be written for them. Because they have a relatively small user-base, most virus writters rarely want to target them(since at least a few of them do it for the 15 minutes of fame).

Yup, if everyone switches to another OS, the hackers will too.

Let me get this straight, though, there is a pop up, on lucasforums that has a trojan in it? Will a pop up blocker stop it? Right now, I have a firewall (Mcafee) and a Vscanner (Norton) and a popup blocker (Mcafee, and a stand alone program), is that enough to stop it from getting into my PC?

BTW, Windows has a fire wall, it was on http://www.microsoft.com shortly after blaster worm came out.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

BTW, Windows has a fire wall, it was on http://www.microsoft.com shortly after blaster worm came out.

It's crap though, I would recommend Kerio or Zone Alarm instead.

Although I've just realized how spyware infested the net is. I've downloaded few things on my fresh XP installation(about 20 days old) and guess what, I ran Spybot and I had 10 different spyware entries. :/

Archived