Home

Concerned about the graphics

Elite Jedi

Well, on my ageing rig, Far Cry MP is pretty much unplayable. On low settings, I can usually get a decent 30 fps in outside areas in SP - and sometimes more than that. In other words, SP is quite playable. When it comes to MP, though, it grinds to a halt - anything from 15fps to 2fps, which is basically a slide show. I know it's not lag, because I had the best ping (30-60) on a couple of servers, but I still had this problem. So the engine must be pretty demanding for MP matches.

The other game that kills my framerate is Unreal Tournament 2004 - which noticeably performs worse than UT2K3.

Yes, I know I need to upgrade my PC (CPU and RAM mostly), but most of the other games I have run quite well in MP. I have a great blast with Enemy Territory, even on servers with 60 people playing, and I get a decent framerate with that game even with all the options turned to highest settings. The graphics in ET are quite acceptable to me. The gameplay is so fast you don't really have time to think about whether certain textures could have been better.

So as far as I'm concerned, if lower quality graphics means the gameplay is smoother, and older PC friendly, I'm all for it. What's the point in having a totally up-to-date engine that eats resources, when a lot fewer people will be able to play the game?

I don't think the graphics will suddenly mutate into something like 'nam, but I like the way it is now. Looking at the rebel models in the rebel facion on lucasarts' swbf site and I just like it. It said somewhere in the dev. diary for models that they turned it az bit down for smooth gameplay, and that is whats most important for me..of course you cant see smooth gameplay on screenshots and only graphics so thats why so many mind already

Keep in mind that they likely used the highest setting for the graphics in the films. The trick is making a game that looks great and will be accessible to a variety of computers. This is why Counter Strike still leads the pack when it comes to online games. They have low requirements, and that allows someone with a Pentium II and a dial up to play. This is also why settings are in the game. I had lag for Vietnam, I turned down my settings and did not have the problem as bad.

:o WAKE UP IT WASNT THAT LONG

Originally posted by Darth54

I agree with Jabba... though I don't want really crappy graphs.

For LA's games, I'm always more worried about the engine... but they said they actually crated a new one this time, so it might be good.

It's not like Lucas Arts made it, it's a profesional company that done good games like Battlezone2 (I like it) and Star Wars: Clone Wars

I have full faith in them

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

Graphics look better in the videos than in the screenshots for some reason

because on a single screenshot you focus more on the different parts of the player models, which lack good graphics, but in a movie it's just like ingame; you pay more attention to the environment and it looks 'ok' then

The reviews at Gamespot and recently at IGN are quite positives about the engine graphic and especially towards the ps2 version.

For now, my worries are more concentrated on the balance element of the game and all the other unique features they want to add because it could work great or not.

I don't care if the graphics back up five years, what I want to see is a decent net code, and smooth animations. I think giving those few extra frames at the cost of less detailed models may actually help the game seem more graphically advanced. If anyone's played Prince of Persia (the new one), then you know that there textures aren't anything new, yet reviews have told of the great graphics. This is do to how good the animation was that made the character move. This game seems to have the best walker animation I've seen so far hands down. Just go watch one of the movies and you'll agree that the way those walkers walk is quite satisfying to watch for what ever reason that is, be it frame rate or ingenious animation. Plus, the blaster and explosions effects seem to rate high on my visual scale.

Sorry if that was hard to read, I'm in abit of a rush to get my thoughts through.

Archived