Home

Just my luck.

IG-64

Well, im contemplating on whether I should start new threads or just keep it all in one IG's crap luck thread to be more orginised.

Well, I woke up today (at about 9 PM mind you) with the message that my family had to shut off my computer due to a loud, unusual clicking noise coming from it. So no more computer for me now untill we fix it who knows when. Im on my bros comp now.

I also have to take my 2nd trip to the orthodontist this week because they didn't tighten them right and a band is coming loose, good job.

Now I must go toil away at school all night.

G

hmm, a loud clicking noise?

Is it coming from the hard drive? If so, it might be getting ready to fail, I suggest backing up any important data immediately and get ready to replace that drive. :(

If it is not the hard drive then I am not sure what else it may be

I remember the old p2 here had this alarm signal when it was overhit..irritating as hell :p the only real 'clicking' noice i know that one of my pcs made is when the bad cd reader is trying to read a cd but i figure that aint the problem with yours. I'd go for overhit

how can someone wake up at 9pm? been drinking again? sniffing? my ""friends"" who slept a whole day did one of those before

Yuk orthodontist..I hardly take care of my teeth (brushing and all) but im the lucky one in the family who doesnt need braces. yay for me

Alltogether i think this makes a pretty crappy week for you, condolences

when does it click?

all the time? or now and again?

first thing to do is open it up and check that no cables or wires are touching any fans. and while you're in there check for loose screws.

if this doesn't fix it then see if the clicking is in time with the HDD LED. if it is then make sure its mounted the correctly, i.e not at an angle and the right way round.

another thing to check would be the PSU, do this by smelling it. believe me you'll know what i mean if there is anything wrong with it.

Originally posted by Siv

when does it click?

all the time? or now and again?

first thing to do is open it up and check that no cables or wires are touching any fans. and while you're in there check for loose screws.

if this doesn't fix it then see if the clicking is in time with the HDD LED. if it is then make sure its mounted the correctly, i.e not at an angle and the right way round.

another thing to check would be the PSU, do this by smelling it. believe me you'll know what i mean if there is anything wrong with it.

I no nothing about this, I just had woke up and was told about it. I turned it on for a sec and listend to three clicks, sounds like it coming from deep in the computer. And it doesnt click fast, you have to wait a few seconds for another click.

Is it coming from the hard drive? If so, it might be getting ready to fail, I suggest backing up any important data immediately and get ready to replace that drive.

I already backed up the files I need because of the virus thats infected all the EXE. files. :indif:

anyways, thanks for the sympathy guys.

G

Could quite easily be a dying/dead hard drive. However, it could equally be a motherboard issue. You could try resetting the CMOS following the instructions in your motherboard manual. Don't do this unless you know what you are doing!

It might be a power issue, as Siv suggests - in which case, the first thing I'd do would be to check all power connections in the case - make sure nothing is lose (although, power connectors rarely come lose). If the PSU was dead you wouldn't get any power at all, so I'm guessing it might still be OK.

However, clicking usually indicates that a component is dead - so I doubt you'll be able to rectify this problem without burning a hole in your wallet...

IG, I have read more about your computer than anyone else here. I may have to agree with Pietm (<--cant get that to look right). I think somebody sent you the bomb! :p

Check all of your fans. When a fan is dieing, it makes a loud clicking noise. You can buy fans rather cheaply if you look in the right places...

All your coputer are belong to us

I....uh...mean...uh...your luck really sucks! Hope you can fix it.

um, really noob question here, but, whats the black box thing thats located over the cd drive? Cause I think that's whats making the noise. And the noise sounds like a click, then a booting up-like sound, it does a couple of them then theres a dying sound, then the clicking stops. Which my common sense tells me that thats a bad sign.

G

Originally posted by IG-64

um, really noob question here, but, whats the black box thing thats located over the cd drive? Cause I think that's whats making the noise. And the noise sounds like a click, then a booting up-like sound, it does a couple of them then theres a dying sound, then the clicking stops. Which my common sense tells me that thats a bad sign.

G

Sounds like it could the hard drive, but I'm going to rule that out because of the following reasons:

1. Hard drives are usually situated below your CD/DVD drives. In my case - and the previous 2 or 3 I've had - the CD drives have been the highest things in the case. I'm guessing if you bought your PC pre-made by a company (eg. Dell, Tiny etc) it might be laid out differently - although this layout would be extremely unusual.

2. If it was your hard drive, you should actually be able to boot up - obviously not to Windows, but the boot information should tell you whether or not it can recognise the hard drive. And you should be able to get into the system BIOS - and again check the status of your HD.

It would help if you could tell me what exactly you mean by "over your cd drive"? The PSU is technically the highest thing in most cases - but that is located at the back of the case. And this problem is rapidly beginning to sound more like a dead PSU, as opposed to a hard drive. Which is a relief for both your files, and your wallet.

Edit: Re-reading your post, by "black box" you've got to be talking about the PSU (Power Supply Unit btw). Are there a *lot* of different coloured wires coming out of it? If so, that's your PSU.

Maybe it's your floppy drive? :confused:

Originally posted by The_One

Sounds like it could the hard drive, but I'm going to rule that out because of the following reasons:

1. Hard drives are usually situated below your CD/DVD drives. In my case - and the previous 2 or 3 I've had - the CD drives have been the highest things in the case. I'm guessing if you bought your PC pre-made by a company (eg. Dell, Tiny etc) it might be laid out differently - although this layout would be extremely unusual.

2. If it was your hard drive, you should actually be able to boot up - obviously not to Windows, but the boot information should tell you whether or not it can recognise the hard drive. And you should be able to get into the system BIOS - and again check the status of your HD.

It would help if you could tell me what exactly you mean by "over your cd drive"? The PSU is technically the highest thing in most cases - but that is located at the back of the case. And this problem is rapidly beginning to sound more like a dead PSU, as opposed to a hard drive. Which is a relief for both your files, and your wallet.

Edit: Re-reading your post, by "black box" you've got to be talking about the PSU (Power Supply Unit btw). Are there a *lot* of different coloured wires coming out of it? If so, that's your PSU.

hmm, well, it's directly obove the cd drive. I know its not the floppy, Pie. Its has some , not alot, but it does have some coloured wires coming from it, its about the size of a cd drive, it's black, and it has a chip revealed on the bottom, it almost looks as if its just laid out on top of the cd drive. Whatever it is, it sounds like the sound is coming from there. I didn't buy it pre-made, my sister, which is 20 years old and went through college courses on computers, bought the parts and assembled it.

[EDIT]Now it's not turning on at all :indif:

G

IG, is there any way that you could take a pic of the inside of your case? Like what The_One said, if it was your hd, you should still be able to see an error pop up on your screen. I think it would say something like "Can't find boot disk" or something like that. If you're talking about the PSU, then it woul be in the top left corner.

Edit: It sounds like a fan then. I just read your last post.

hmm, well, it's directly obove the cd drive. I know its not the floppy, Pie. Its has some , not alot, but it does have some coloured wires coming from it, its about the size of a cd drive, it's black, and it has a chip revealed on the bottom, it almost looks as if its just laid out on top of the cd drive. Whatever it is, it sounds like the sound is coming from there. I didn't buy it pre-made, my sister, which is 20 years old and went through college courses on computers, bought the parts and assembled it.

[EDIT]Now it's not turning on at all :|

G

An exposed chip on the bottom is a hard drive. Must be quite an old hard drive then, they're not usually the size of a CD drive!

For reference, here is a picture of a hard drive:

Caviar-SpecialEdition-2big.jpg

and a PSU:

antec_true330.jpg

Still, though, if your hard drive has gone, I'd at least expect you to see the initial boot screen...

Archived