Home

Your browser is broken.

ptdc

Today I sat down and completely restructured the html and css for my site. I wrote many hundreds of lines of code until I looked at it in my browser and truly it was a thing of pant-creaming beauty. I carefully uploaded it and validated the css. Then as I unleashed my creation onto the world, I find it doesn't work in IE. It works, it just doesn't look anything like it's supposed to.

So, why is this. It's because IE is quite frankly ****. On top of poor support for standards, you have outdated poor support for standards. CSS makes it easier to maintain sites, create complex layouts and do things that would be hard or impossible to do any other way. Unfortunately most of the people browsing the web put up with limited css support and table based websites because they're too lazy/stupid to install a real browser.

I haven't even started to mention the other reasons why IE is terrible (terrible, terrible). So why don't you go and do yourselves and everybody else a favour and

install firefox today .

Strangely enough there is no "GET FIREBOX" button on PCgameScore.de.

Makes one think...

Maybe to some users the Firefox browser still feels kinda awkward.

Maybe some people think that the browser that is used by most people is some kind of standard, instead of a standard that a doubya consortium decides on.

The Mozilla browser and Firefox are two different browsers using the same engine. They're both developed by the Mozilla foundation. Firefox and Thunderbird (the mail client) are supposed to replace the Mozilla suite in not too long. The final versions of those apps are supposedly going to be ready this summer.

By all means Alien426, continue using the IE engine, with its outdated CSS1 support and total lack of inherent support for png image alpha layers.

IE may have the dominance right now over the internet population, but bear in mind that it is essentially running on technology that is years old now and doesn't support a lot of things that should have been supported properly years ago.

People are beginning to realise this, mind. I checked a statistics table recently and mozilla users have jumped from around 3% to around 13% in the past few years. Look down on that statistic as you will, but that is thousands and thousands of users. It can only gain momentum as those people spread the word.

Hopefully IE and it's lackies will be knocked right down in the next few years. Yarr.

Originally posted by ptdc

Also, it's not exactly hard to go to the extension site and download a few plugins.

But what is hard is to find the extension that does what you want. If somebody directs me to all the extensions to get full MyIE functionality I will happily use Firefox. Until that time I just can't be bothered. Half-arsed, huge tabs that can't be dragged, you can't drag links to open in a new tab...

What can I say... I'm spoiled.

Typing "firefox extensions" into google isn't hard. The first result (on texturizer) has pretty much every extension you'd ever need, including "Tabbrowser Extensions" which contains said drag/drop functionality, dragging links into new tabs, reordering, saving tabs when you close down, etc.

Archived