Home

PCG supports Mojo in the War on LEC

Mort-Hog

Ooooooooh BASS2!!* Excellent. And those are the first pics I've seen of TLJ2, which excites me much.

Hooray for Adventure Games!

*All joy is exempt from this statement if the game involves the new genre of adventure gaming, pioneered by Revolution, known as "box puzzles"

LucasArt's statement DOES imply that the game has been "delayed" (pushed back) until the market is in the right "mood" for Adventure Games again.

The question is: Is LucasArts SERIOUSLY considering considering releasing it in the future (like their statement said) or has it been put on PERMANENT hold and been locked in a vault somewhere for the forseeable future (like their actions imply)?

LucasArts need to make a statement to clear this up. Although I'm not hopeful, there is a chance that SnM2 is just waiting for the right, ahem, "moment" to be released... no honestly there is... really.. I.. ah... *sob* :(

PC Gamer's statement is, "Sam and Max isn't financially viable," which in plain language means "Releasing it at this time will drain our savings too much if we don't get a huge recoup."

The businessman logical thing to do would be to wait until they have more money to risk releasing Sam and Max 2, and based on what everybody at Lucasarts is saying, like Ronda, they really want to, but they just can't take the risk.

So, Sam and Max 2 won't go back into production until they have more money. Ergo, people who are threatening Lucasarts with boycotts are actually furthering chances of a SnM2 release instead of bringing it nearer.

Therefore, if you want SnM2, DON'T BOYCOTT LUCASARTS GAMES! BUY THEIR STAR WARS GAMES INSTEAD OF HIDING THEM!

That explanation fits all the facts, doesn't it?

Uhh, no. That statement was just a nice way of saying that they cancelled the game. I highly doubt that the financial situation will be any "better" for the adventure genre at some other point in time. The company's current regime just doesn't want to market an adventure game, plain and simple. The game was well into production (meaning they spent lots of money already), and they probably cancelled it so they could save what would have been the marketing money for Sam and Max to use for Star Wars games and possibly some exciting generic 3rd person shooters (Mercenaries, anyone?).

There may have been some unbelievable financial risk that I simply don't understand, but I frankly feel that they're afraid of spending the necessary money to market the adventure game only to have it flop. But the question is, how much of a serious risk is it? I mean, when development is this far into a game, at this point it's too late to turn back, don't you think? They probably don't care at all about the money they've wasted, as long as they can keep the marketing money for their upcoming crap games (especially with Episode 3 on the horizon).

Anyway, this only my opinion (I'm just a Sam & Max fan with no knowledge of running a major company), and I'd love to be wrong.

Originally posted by Brushguy

BUY THEIR STAR WARS GAMES

So as to tip the scale even more towards Star Wars games? Already their Star Wars games will have sold more than the 2 or 3 adventure games of the last few years. Buying more of them will only make LucasArts believe that nobody wants adventures anymore.

I meant all their games, not just Star Wars. They need more money. They stopped production because moving it on at this time would drain their savings too much.

They're probably waiting until the mindless SW fanboys pour in their college savings to buy yet another round of Star Wars games after E3, so they can get enough money to finish Sam and Max 2.

Boycotting Lucasarts games will drain even more money out of them, pushing Sam and Max 2 farther away instead of bringing it closer.

I meant all their games, not just Star Wars. They need more money. They stopped production because moving it on at this time would drain their savings too much.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that LucasArts is this poor, pitiful company in terms of finance (though currently their games certainly possess those qualities). If they would release Sam and Max they would have recouped at least a portion of the money they spent making it, so they are really out more money now. They want to keep the marketing money for the big, early promotional push for episode III.

And even if I really believed LucasArts was in such a need of money (which they aren't) I wouldn't resort to buying crappy games. Maybe I'd buy 50 copies of their adventure games or something. Buying Star Wars can only hurt the situation, don't you think?

All I'm trying to say is that Lucasarts was afraid of another flop. That's my opinion.

My previous opinion was that they needed more money, hence the "Sam and Max isn't financially viable" statement from PCG, but I guess I was wrong about that. Yes, buying Star Wars games would hurt this situation more, and I was just trying to further my opinion that they needed more money. Oh well. :(

I guess that in the eyes of their sales department, Sam and Max was no different than RTX and Wrath, classified as a "non-Star Wars game."

But if they meant "cancelled" with their press release, surely they're giving the decision second thoughts. If they meant "put on hold to be picked up later on," I think we can stop harrassing them.

All I'm trying to say is that Lucasarts was afraid of another flop. That's my opinion.

I think we both agree on that.

But if they meant "cancelled" with their press release, surely they're giving the decision second thoughts. If they meant "put on hold to be picked up later on," I think we can stop harrassing them.

As I said, I believe they meant cancellation, but the fact is they've never given us a real reason which is the main problem. I think more people are hoping for a clearer statement from LucasArts than anything else.

What gets my goat (and dog and rabbit) is that a game that LucasArts KNEW wouldn't sell and was rubbish managed to make it all the way to the shops (RTX Red Rock) and yet a game that could revitalise their reputation and gain their internal development team kudos not seen for a few years was cancelled.

In case you didn't follow RTX's story, first the GameCube version was cancelled (suddenly sticking a game as a PS2-only is usually a desperate act to sell a rubbish game) then it was released new at half-price.

EDIT: And I think you're right about Episode III - look at what happened with Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace. The only reason that Grim Fandango was allowed to endure was because it had been in the pipeline for such a long time and it was their first foray into 3D adventuring.

EFMI was neatly between the films, although even with that I thought we got lucky. I guess this "new" LucasArts isn't as interested in adventuring.

Archived