Home

Corruption in the Land of the Dead

The Tingler

I am having serious problems with Grim Fandango. Which is odd, because up until recently I had no problems whatsoever and have been enjoying my umpteenth replay since Tuesday.

The problem is, simply, a crash to the Desktop, usually accompanied by every 'Shortcut' symbol on the desktop appearing first.

It started when I attempted to enter the Scrimshaw Parlor. Now I can't play any section from any saved game without a crash, despite it working fine.

It is possibly (indeed, this is the only thing I can think over) connected with my attempt to Alt-Tab out of the game. It crashed after I returned to the game, and it's been doing it ever since.

I've tried re-installing the game, even on a different hard drive, but to no avail.

I've done everything the troubleshooting readme recommends, and have tried it with and without Direct3D.

The only thing I haven't tried is playing through the game from scratch. Which, frankly, doesn't appeal as I've only just done that.

Any help?

Well thanks a lot you guys.

As much as I hate the modern LucasArts, their forum (the moderator, of all people) gave the best advice, and it turned into the most simple answer: get the patch.

Which worked. Perfectly.

So I will give the advice now. If you're having crashing problems when playing Grim Fandango, just install the patch. It may not mention fixing the problem in the release notes, but it does.

Help on these forums is so efficient. 50 people viewed my "Help!" post without any replies. I finally got one anyway. :p

Anyway glad to hear that the Dark Side Who Hate Fans..errm...Lucasarts got your problem fixed. :deathii:

Ironically, the same sort of thing happened to me, only it was with King's Quest 8. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived