Home

JA mod: Jedi Fighter

skew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is the kind of thing I've thought would be amazing since JO came out, but had no idea how to implement - it looks like you're well on the way! I'd love to get involved and help out any way I can - I've sent you an email. :)

Umm, you say Street Fighter, does that mean it will be SP or did you really mean to say Teken? coz though my knowlege of megadrive games is not vast I seem to remember Street Fighter being SP or Co op.

the health bars in the shots imply Teken to me, but a SP level would be good, there arn't enough single player mods that do more than let you play through the game as Yoda or Darth Maul.

Originally posted by jon_hill987

Umm, you say Street Fighter, does that mean it will be SP or did you really mean to say Teken? coz though my knowlege of megadrive games is not vast I seem to remember Street Fighter being SP or Co op.

the health bars in the shots imply Teken to me, but a SP level would be good, there arn't enough single player mods that do more than let you play through the game as Yoda or Darth Maul.

Yeh, I think this would be cool with SP as well as MP myself. However, SFII was MP as well as SP (at least on the SNES anyway!)

The mod is for MP only because the SP SDK hasnt been released. Technically you can play against the bots but changing their AI to do the combos is not one of my priorities. Playing against them will be no different than playing against the standard JA bots. Thus, the mod is intended to be played human vs human (using joypads).

As far as comparing it to other fighting games, you cant really pick just one.

It is like Soul Calibur in that the attack buttons include separate horizontal and vertical attacks.

Its like Street Fighter in that alot of the combos are semicircles (and was my original inspiration for the mod).

Its like Last Blade in that I'm finishing implementing a proper block and parry system. The characters also do taunts at the beginning and end of every match as in the LB series. Just like Last Blade, Jedi Fighter also has an alternate attack button which can be used primarily for kicking moves/combos.

Its like Marvel vs Capcom in that I have the super jump and will be implementing the special meters in order to do certain special combos.

Overall, I'd say the mod isnt exactly copying any single fighter. I've tried to incorporate different elements from my favorite games all throughout the genre.

I routinely upload new screenshots to that url I posted above so if you guys want to see the latest crap I'm working on, thats your best bet.

Regarding the health bars and the other poorly done assets... its all programmer art right now.

I'm the member of a mod team which includes two other very talented people so the assets will be getting much better in the future.

Some of Jers work:

- Mindgrid:Audio

- Quake 2 cd - track 10: "Climb"

Some of Erics work:

- royal guard

All of us worked together to create a mod for quake3 a while back as well. Eric and Jer were responsible for all of the visuals assets so I trust the both of them entirely.

Combat: Quake III Arena

Ah yeh, my love of SP made me forget you can't play around anything like as much with the SP side as the MP side, with no SP SDK. Nonetheless, this is the most exciting mod I've seen for JA since Asteroids, which is currently the only reason I ever play JA MP. One of the few things I love as much as fighter pilot games are side on beat-em-ups. I'm sure we'll all be checking your site on a regular basis! :D

I'll release my source at some point but the majority of my code is based on the new input queueing system, combo recognition, etc.

Its very easy to turn JA into a side scroller and that was probably the first thing they got working.

Its very easy to turn JA into a side scroller and that was probably the first thing they got working.

That would be likely if they had any coders helping them. Which I'm sure they don't.

Right now people with coding experience is at a premium.

Archived