Home

JA mod: Jedi Fighter

skew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates in this thread. Progress is still being made, albeit slower than I anticipated because I'm taking a full load of classes this summer.

The June test was obviously pushed back and most likely will remain pushed back until mid to late July. I will still be releasing a version right before QuakeCon so do not worry.

Here are a few more shots to tide you over.

screens

P.S.

As many of you can see, the volumetric shadows do not work correctly in the last few shots. If anyone has any tips on what I can do to fix them, please send me a PM and dont reply to this thread. I'm running a Radeon 8500 in Windows XP with the latest Omega Drivers.

• 1 month later...

I'm still around and the mod isn't dead.

The end of semester crunch started a bit early for me since I'm taking so many credit hours this summer and it has made doing anything for Jedi Fighter impossible since mid July. For some reason my electrical engineering professors dont think games are as important as I do ;).

That said, my last project was due today and my last final exam is tomorrow. Afterwards I'm taking a long needed vacation (which includes QuakeCon). As soon as I get back into town, I'll upload the latest build of Jedi Fighter along with documentation and map file templates.

Regarding the status of the mod itself, the blocking still isnt functional yet. I've been sitting on this for far too long, though, so I wont delay a test release any further. I'd appreciate any input I receive from you guys on how the gameplay feels... that is if you arent too busy playing Doom3.

Also, if anyone here is heading to QuakeCon, I'd be happy to demonstrate and even give you a copy of Jedi Fighter in the BYOC area. I'll also be at the Mod Roundtable again, so feel free to ask any questions there. Just PM me.

Skew, will this mod be open source, because the Super smash brothers team really needs something like this, and i would be ever so grateful if youd help us, or at least let us use the source, thanks,

Mongo

and if you have an instant messanger please tell me your screen name ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a little free time so I'd like to update you guys as to what I'm working on.

I've moved the character definitions to script files, each grouped and loaded selectively by the cgame, game, and ui. Initially I had the fighters hardcoded, along with their moves (attacks and combos), but adding new moves and characters was becoming a pretty ugly exercise in copying and pasting code. The entire process needed to be generalized, which it has been.

The main benefit of the .fighter files is letting me specify the combos for moves without having to recompile or add extra code. The combos assume that the player is facing to the right using the current control scheme, and will automatically adjust depending on what direction you are facing at the time of the input.

While the combo aspect of the moves can be set in the .fighter files, the attack aspect cannot. The only thing you can do currently is associate an attack with a certain move. The reason for this is that there is alot of player processing that is done during an attack that cannot be generalized well in a scripting language syntax without a massive amount of work. It seemed reasonable to set up a veritable palette of attacks from which to choose from when designing the character. I plan on supporting every major and special attack available in the standard animation files (30+ I believe). Currently only 14 have been implemented, but things are still moving along nicely.

In terms of player processing (during an attack), there are 3 main components: one that is executed as soon as the combo for the move is detected, one that is executed per frame as the attack is being executed, and one that is executed just as the attack has culminated. This lets me make sure that I have total control over the player during all phases of an attack, and will not let there be crazy exploits (see Killer Instinct).

Going back to the .fighter files, they have allowed me to incorporate some more basic features found in traditional fighting games, such as accessing a moves list in-game through the ui, and letting me populate the character selection screens and such automatically.

Overall I think it has really helped me make alot of ground lately, but things are still far from complete. The way I'm doing the .fighter files brings up a whole slew of possibilities, such as servers with customized character sets, but before I go any further with expanding these ideas I'm trying to get everything thats in place working.

Here is an example of a .fighter file that I've been using to test with and doesn't reflect upon the final design of any character.

fighter Stormtrooper {
 fighterinfo {
   description 'Blah blah'
   alignment dark
   model_path stormtrooper
 }
 moves 6 {
   inherits none
   move 'Test' {
     attack LS_A_JUMP_T__B_
     combo {
       comboinfo {
         clearable no
         min_input_time -1
         max_input_time -1
       }
       buttons 2 {
         button BUTTON_HORIZONTAL_ATTACK -1 -1
         button BUTTON_VERTICAL_ATTACK -1 -1
       }
     }
   }
   move 'Saber Jump Attack' {
     attack LS_A_JUMP_T__B_
     combo {
       comboinfo {
         clearable yes
         min_input_time 50
         max_input_time -1
       }
       buttons 4 {
         button BUTTON_RIGHT -1 -1
         button BUTTON_DOWN 10 300
         button BUTTON_RIGHT 10 300
       }
     }
   }
   move 'Lunge' {
     attack LS_A_LUNGE
     combo {
       comboinfo {
         clearable yes
         min_input_time 50
         max_input_time -1
       }
       buttons 3 {
         button BUTTON_DOWN -1 -1
         button BUTTON_RIGHT 25 300
       }
     }
   }
   move 'Forward Kick' {
     attack LS_KICK_F
     combo {
       comboinfo {
         clearable no
         min_input_time -1
         max_input_time -1
       }
       buttons 1 {
         button BUTTON_ALT_ATTACK -1 -1
       }
     }
   }
   move 'Horizontal Slash' {
     attack LS_A_L2R
     combo {
       comboinfo {
         clearable no
         min_input_time -1
         max_input_time -1
       }
       buttons 1 {
       }
     }
   }
   move 'Vertical Slash' {
     attack LS_A_T2B
     combo {
       comboinfo {
         clearable no
         min_input_time -1
         max_input_time -1
       }
       buttons 1 {
       }
     }
   }
 }
}

Note that this isnt a finalized version of the format, because alot of the fields are redundant and need to be pruned / replaced. This format is still very much in flux.

When I have some time next week I'll finish writing up a short summary on what all of the used fields do to give you guys a better idea of whats possible.

Keshire,

Thanks for the offer. I want to get everything thats in the standard .gla implemented first. I might contact you again later if youre not too busy.

Mongo,

I've sent you a private message with my AIM screenname. Please dont distribute it.

• 8 months later...

Archived