Home

I am understandably upset, apparently. (AKA: Mojo appears in PC Format)

Jake

Check it! Totally awesome. Look at how overly-bitter I come across as!!

pcformat.jpg

Thanks to the Remster for scanning that. Or for sending me a scan of it that someone else made (more likely, knowing Remi).

The European gaming mags are really enjoying tearing into LEC with the Sam & Max 2 stuff.

Its fun to see a quote by me in a magazine, but it sucks that its in an article about what its about. Too bad its not "I'm peeing my pants with delight after installing this classic graphical adventure game, which somehow also brought peace to the Middle East."

I still don't understand why LEC didn't continue production since they very well know that this would at least sell well in Europe. If it wouldn't then why do they keep releasing new versions of the old stuff over there (at least up to 2002 they were).

I've seen new releases of Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and various other classics in DVD cases over the past few weeks in different game stores. Interesting time to launch a new set of releases.

A kick in the teeth, head, and stomach.

Any sales dept. agent could figure out that poor sales are better than no sales at all. You'd think that, wouldn't you?

Well, at least everybody is still publicly ripping Lucasarts' image to shreds, and probably will be until Lucasarts redeems themselves by uncancelling Sam and Max 2 or making another Monkey Island. I still believe they'll un-cancel it (no matter how much you guys try to push me down or call me an idiot), because who could ignore a 24,000+ signature petition and lots of passionate, well-put-together and common-sense e-mails and snail mails?

And now Lucasarts is sitting right next to their pretty Star Wars cash cow, both of which have egg all over their faces.

Originally posted by Brushguy

who could ignore a 24,000+ signature petition and lots of passionate, well-put-together and common-sense e-mails and snail mails?

LucasArts could.

"Dark clouds formed over San Rafael, California, today as LucasArts laid off 29 of its employees. Before the layoffs, the head count at the company stood at 418, less than the 430 listed on the LucasArts Web site."

Link.

So much for "there are no plans to reduce staff". Actually, they did say "at this time".

The GameSpot article does seem to suggest that it is the Star Wars titles that are having their numbers thinned, although LucasArts' statements suggest that most of the S&M staff have gone, because that's not a title in development.

I checked, and the only non-Sam and Max 2 important person who got kicked out was............Sean Clark. The core of the S&M2 team is still there at least...including Mike Stemmle.

Lucasarts needs to make more press releases and statements to clear these things up. They can't ignore their fans!

LucasArts could.

:eek: Thank you for telling me that, Thrik! I did not know that! The next time I should need important information, I will ask you. Come on! The fans buy the games and if the fans are angry, Lucasarts is in a bad position.

Originally posted by Brushguy

:eek: Thank you for telling me that, Thrik! I did not know that! The next time I should need important information, I will ask you. Come on! The fans buy the games and if the fans are angry, Lucasarts is in a bad position.

Ther was no real need for sarcasm there, Thrik was just stating the fact, LucasArts are ignoring us. I doubt this cancellation was done on the spur of the moment and they probably did take into account the amount of people who would react to this in this way and how many emails the PR people would get. Lpease note, if the PR people got 10 angry emails, they'd probably read them all and forward them to the people who counted. But the PR people got tens of thousands of angy emails, meaning them proabably read about five and sent a message to the people who mattered saying something like

'A couple of thousand people don't like what you did with Sam n Max 2.'

Actually more likely it was

'Thursday, Sam n Max 2 cancellation angry email count, 20,172 emails. I Jenny was closest with 21,000, everyone pay up.'

It's too late now, yes, the bulk of the SnM team are still there, but Sean Clark was very important

Ah, so they're not kicking out the Sam & Max team YET, they're waiting for the heat to go down so they're just kicking out the Full Throttle: Hell On Wheels team.

Damn right Sean Clark was important - in fact, him and Mike are the only two decent designers left in there. I doubt Mike Stemmle will be long - he'll probably quit and join Double Fine, or set his own studio up with Sean, you mark my words.

Originally posted by LucasTones

In response to that "poor sales are better than no sales" line someone said, to be fair it would cost a bomb to actually create like 10,000 copies of the game to ship to stores.

That was me, and while marketing is no doubt a costly process, you'd think they would have decided it wasn't worth it before the game got so far.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that its a shocking decision so late into the design process. All I'm saying is... well, for example:

Cost to develop game: $2 million

Projected Income from game: $0.5 million

So, they may as well release the game, and make at least some back, right? Well, not if:

Cost to publish and distribute game: $0.5 million

Obviously my numbers are way out, but you should see the point I'm trying to make.

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

Yeah, I see your point, but it's still a stupid thing to do this late in the game.

It was a stupid thing to do full stop. There are loads of reasons why they shouldn't have done it, but the fact remains, they've done it and there's really nothing much we can do about it, so I suggest that about two months after the fact, we just leave it.

Originally posted by LucasTones

Cost to publish and distribute game: $0.5 million

yeah, but the development was (sort of) nearly finished, so they've already spent nearly "$2 million"...

so the only different between distributing and not distributing would be the happiness/angryness of the adventure fans...

Archived