Home

An Idea to get LEC to uncancel S&M2 (Maybe)

Bobo Donkey™

Please note, EMI's great artwork was the only original thing for the game considering the casting for guybrush, lechuck and murray (the only good actors in the game) was all done in CMI and the theme music was completely taken from CMI as apose to the rest that, whilst using the same tune, used different ways to do them with different instuments and so on (or as best could be done with MIDI's for the first 2 and the third was just awe inspired).

Okay, sure, a lot of the music was original, but it didn't have a different flavour like the others did, it kind of just tried to pick out elements from CMi and so on.

And whilst the artwork was nice for the game as a standalone, both EMI and CMI had great artowk, but not enkeeping with the Monkey island theme of the first two games. I'm not saying they're the definitive games and should only bee seen as the true monkey island games, CMi is well worthy of the title of Monkey island 3, but we got used to the style of the first two only to have it change dramatically. That's all I'm saying. (again, three intended sentences turned into a huge ramble, when will you shut up Joshi?)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joshi, I have to disagree with you on EMI's music. Its soundtrack was one part of the game that I found to be consistently brilliant, as with the rest of the series (personal favs include: Talking to Carla and Otis, Knuttin' Atoll). OK, so the the opening theme is a carbon copy of CMI's, but that's not a big deal.

Also, I think you're being a bit harsh on the voice acting. Perhaps you didn't care for the jokes or lines, but the voice acting itself was superb, and didn't disappoint me in the least bit.

In my opinion, EMI is definitely a big step down from the previous games (for reasons which have been listed countless times), but at least the music is amazing. (I want the cut-scene music, dammit!)

Yes, I did mean art style, but not in that way. Obviously with the ability to move up in graphics and resolution, one would, but CMI, whilst having absolutely brilliant art for the background, characters and objects was still not the same as the style in the first two games. They had more of a real feel to them and less of a fantasy "all curves" feel. CMI was brilliant, I'll grant you that and the artwork was stunning, but it didn't have the same feeling as the first two is all I'm saying.

And okay, the EMI music was good yes, but what I was saying is that the music had a different style and beat for all of the games. The first one had it's style, and then the second had it's slightly darker more edgy style and then CMI had it's grand but nice and more Caribbean style. But EMI's style was exactly the same as CMI. It's not so much that they ripped off one melody from CMI, but that fact that moving with the times, I was expecting a different style of music. Again, on it's own it was a great game with great music, but following on from the previous games, it fell short of wowing me with it's music.

And as far as voice acting goes, okay, so there were a few good voices besisdes the returning characters, but people like Ozzie and Herman were just annoying at times and a lot of that does indeed have to go to the voice actors as they have to sell the stuff (considering good dialogue wasn't a major point of the game, or at least not as agood as before) and I don't think they did as well as had been done before in CMI.

Oh, and need I mention Elaine?

Ha! Yeah, but I think a better example of the "boringly accurate straight lines" would have been the cannon towers atop the fort, they were so straight, Ian McKellen would have gone running up to kiss them. (at no point here am I commenting on Ian McKellen as a person or an actor, both of which he is great as, and I'm not a homophobe or gay basher, but I had to think of a famous gay person and frankly, Will from Will and Grace just didn't cut it).

I do have to say, I am in awe of that art, it is truley great. As an artist myself, and a fan of that type opf work, I can safely say that I cannot reproduce art in that style (oh, I can copy a picture, no problem, but to draw my own in that style is what I'm saying) and wish I could.

Originally posted by Joshi

And okay, the EMI music was good yes, but what I was saying is that the music had a different style and beat for all of the games. The first one had it's style, and then the second had it's slightly darker more edgy style and then CMI had it's grand but nice and more Caribbean style. But EMI's style was exactly the same as CMI. It's not so much that they ripped off one melody from CMI, but that fact that moving with the times, I was expecting a different style of music. Again, on it's own it was a great game with great music, but following on from the previous games, it fell short of wowing me with it's music.

I think EMI's music was more reminiscent of MI2 than anything else. It had the "caribbeaness" of CMI, but it was darker and edgier. Anyway, I find it original enough to not be considered a ripoff of any of the games. It's also really good. :D

Originally posted by Joshi

And as far as voice acting goes, okay, so there were a few good voices besisdes the returning characters, but people like Ozzie and Herman were just annoying at times and a lot of that does indeed have to go to the voice actors as they have to sell the stuff (considering good dialogue wasn't a major point of the game, or at least not as agood as before) and I don't think they did as well as had been done before in CMI.

Oh, and need I mention Elaine?

I dunno. I didn't find Ozzie or Herman to be particularly annoying (the whole Australian race and monkey robot plot more than made up for that, though :¬: ) in their delivery. I thought all of the actors did admirable jobs and made even the most minor characters entertaining. You mention Elaine, but I think the problem was more her character than the actual voice...they gave her an annoying, bossy attitude that wasn't exactly easy to like.

Originally posted by Murray the Chao

I have one idea. If we could show LEC http://www.agdinteractive.com and http://www.kq9.org maybe they would realize that the adventure game genere is not dead and will reconsider S&M 2

The suits are in charge of LEC now. What we need to show them is the sales figures. I doubt a couple of fan projects is enough to convince anyone that this genre is still alive.

Udvarnorky, in referance to what you said about the music, to each his own i guess. Yes, some people liked it, some people didn't. I didn't (or at least not as much as the others, I of course couldn't do better and the music was good in parts but... okay, so I'm rambling again).

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

I dunno. I didn't find Ozzie or Herman to be particularly annoying (the whole Australian race and monkey robot plot more than made up for that, though :¬: ) in their delivery. I thought all of the actors did admirable jobs and made even the most minor characters entertaining. You mention Elaine, but I think the problem was more her character than the actual voice...they gave her an annoying, bossy attitude that wasn't exactly easy to like.

Okay, so first Ozzie, I just hated the fact that the accent was so overdone. yes, I know he was meant to be the steryotypical view of an Australian (explaining the name) but seriously, anyone who could stand hi could maybe stand Steve Irwin, and I really wish him, dead.

Herman was just two screechy. Okay, so I guess we all thought of that kind of voice when playing SOMI, it does fit. I think it was the whole Herman is marley thing that got me. In both LCR and CMI, I sort of thought of H.T. Marley as being some big tough pirate guy with a nice big booming voice and instead all we got was herman. not of course the actors fault, but after a while, it did become a bit unbearable.

And Elaine I just prefered in CMI. I mean it may not have been perfect, but it was a lot closer to what I expected when playing the first two than what we got in EMI (not character wise, just voice wise, although yes, the character wasn't any better).

I'd just like to say that when I said my drunken thoughts were more rational nowadays I wasn't thinking about my stupid idea. I was thinking about when I would go to parties an insist that most of my music be played for the duration of it. Now I'm not like that.

I've also had more thought on this. The 'blackmail' idea had actually been goin on in my head for about a week or so before I started this thread. I suggested it to my friends (yes I DO have friends, no they are NOT imaginery or neds) and they gave me good feedback on it. Besides, if I wasnt going to get drunk as feck I would've still done it.

But now that I've read the comments here I guess I could say that this idea of mine is only for the purpose of pissing LucasArse off and getting their attention and then telling them how angry the fans are. But then again they might not listen to me because the concept of listening out for what their fans want is just something that LA have forgotten.

Most of you people are doing your best to save Sam & Max. If anything, my idea could help the cause a little bit more.

Oh and to answer the bear question Joshi. You dont get bears in Scotland, you get Neds which is much worse. They wouldn't be chewing on my leg they would be THREATENING TO BEAT ME UP. They don't have addition to honey, they prefer Bucky. As for the gun, I wouldn't be carrying any. Britain has got a gun ban ever since this incident occurred.

Originally posted by Bobo Donkey™

Oh and to answer the bear question Joshi. You dont get bears in Scotland, you get Neds which is much worse. They wouldn't be chewing on my leg they would be THREATENING TO BEAT ME UP. They don't have addition to honey, they prefer Bucky. As for the gun, I wouldn't be carrying any. Britain has got a gun ban ever since this incident occurred.

It was freaking hypothetical man! I live in England, we don't get any bears or guns here either! But just imagine being in a place where everything I said was true, basicaly, would you go for the honey or shoot the damn bear?

Because LucasArts would know of two ways to stop you making old LA games available on the web for free, one would be to finish Sam+Max at the expense of whatever it will cost, and the other would be to sue you and actually get money out of you. What do you think's gonna happen? Actually, they'll first send a 'Cease and desist letter' at which point you'll probably senmd back a letter to Lucasarts legal board asking them to bring back sam n max, for which the legal board have no power ov er and even more, wouldn't care, and then you'll persist in your demands, and then they'll sue you. This is the corporate world, not the playground, when a big company get's mad, they sue and get loads of money. it's as simple as that.

I have just registered but thats not important.

I have read through this post and I just want to Add my oppinon.

Ok I want you to compare Disney and Lucasarts.

When you compare them what do you find that is similar. Ok for starters both companys were known for taking risks.

Disney were famouse for making great animated films. Then they took one BIG Risk they made 20.000 leagues under the sea. If that movie did not payoff back then and wasn't any good and people hated it then we would not have disney to day. Now in this day and age Disney puts out crappy movies. Now no offense I like disney but I think some of the movies they have released lately are very bad and thats ecspecially messing up their reputation for taking risks and that kind of stuff. I will just name 2 movies they have released that are bad. Inspector gadget 2 that movie has one big plot hole. Haunted Mansion.

Now for Lucasarts. Their outstanding reputation was adventure games ,but what are they doing now. Their relying on star wars. Now I do love the star wars movies ,but star wars can not last unless all those mind sucking first person shooters have ruined the gamers minds to make them just drink up those star wars games. Now I do not mean all star wars games are bad ,but lucasarts has been putting out mostly star wars lately.

Now the result and straight to the point.

Lucasarts and Disney they are straying no not straying ,but running away from what made the great. I believe what made both companyies great is that they both had people who would pour their hearts into their creations almost like it was their painting their masterpiece.

And for the most obvius reason both lucasarts and disney and other companies like ea activision sierra are making crappy products is because of ONE MAIN THING.

MONEY! GREED MONEY AND GREED!!!!:mad:

Now I am not saying George lucas is being greedy. I am talking not about one person I am talking about a corperation.

They just put out those games like first person shooter rpgs and such because most gamers are just wanting mindless violence.

And thats my oppinion.

NO OFFENCE IS INTENTED TO ANY GAMERS

You've got an excellent point linklinker. I was thinking the same thing too (welcome aboard).

Oh and sorry about that last comment Joshi, I was just feeling sarcastic.

LucasArse dont know where I stay do they? So how can they make money out of my crazy idea?

Basically, you put up a website, they find it and send you a threatening email to get it ripped down, you say "I'll rip it down when you make Sam n Max 2!" and then they send you maybe one or two more warnings before they contact the copyright pretection commissioner who'll use your I.P. address (which will be automatically signed onto your website, nothing you can really do about that unless you went to another computer away from your house (don't just take your laptop out of the house, it doesn't work like that) and even then it's not fool proof) to find out where you live and slap you with a court order. There are always ways of doing these kinds of things and if you're costing them money, they'll use all of their resources to find you and then sue you for about ten time the amount of money it took to find you. Do you really think that Napster guy was stupid? he was a genius and he got caught, don't think you can get away with this.

You could always live under a fake name, fake real life address, fake social security number, and real e-mail on your "Download LEC Adventures 4 Free" website, and then after they mail you, you send them your "uncancel S&M2 and then I'll shut down" letter and go hide in a cardboard box without shutting your site down.

I'm being sarcastic. While it would be a nice, bitter blow to Lucasarts, they'd catch you and sue you. Sorry. At least we're still trying to come up with ways to get Sam and Max 2, but really, I don't think Lucasarts will release it until they feel that it's "the appropriate time."

Don't reply saying "which is never," because companies have held things back before because they felt that it wasn't ready.

There are several Monkey Island and non-S&M fans out there, so if an MI5 gets cancelled, Lucasarts will be absolutely drowning in hate from the outside, thousands of times over than the deafening response they got in the first week of March.

People will protest outside their offices, send thousands of angry e-mails, WWHS will go insane out of its mind with hate, more hate sites in the vein of WWHS will pop up, and finally Lucasarts will move itself into an irreversable position in the big chess game of the game market, and completely cause themselves to go out of business, because there are many more who care about Monkey Island than those who care about Sam and Max(or who care about both), who continue to support LEC.

However, I just can't see MI5 getting cancelled because

a) Lucasarts has learned that there are more people that would buy adventure games than Mike Nelson apparently thought on March 3rd

and

b) Monkey Island has four episodes that all sold extremely well (with the fourth selling slightly less than previous three), and Sam and Max only had one that sold well. There's a difference.

Anyway, if Sam and Max remains in the game graveyard (I strongly believe that it won't), MI5 is something nice to look forward to.

Of course forgetting the fact that MI5 hasn't even been started on yet (in concept or no) and the fact that the cancel San & Max press release was basically a nice way of telling everybody that to them, adventure gaming is dead, long live SW! that is of course not true, but it's what they think, so i doubt an MI5 will even begin let alone get cancelled.

I'm afraid that Joshi is probably correct - I doubt it will even get greenlighted, much less cancelled.

Who's the new president? Lucasfilm's head of marketing? Do you really think he's an adventure game man, or a businessman?

While original games may come out of LucasArts (another Indy is probable too), I think that adventure games will not be among them.

On the other hand, "not the appropriate time" could signify that after Episode III is out of the way, LucasArts can do what they want.

Originally posted by The Tingler

I'm afraid that Joshi is probably correct - I doubt it will even get greenlighted, much less cancelled.

Who's the new president? Lucasfilm's head of marketing? Do you really think he's an adventure game man, or a businessman?

While original games may come out of LucasArts (another Indy is probable too), I think that adventure games will not be among them.

On the other hand, "not the appropriate time" could signify that after Episode III is out of the way, LucasArts can do what they want.

The ironic strangeness is that if George Lucas himself was in charge of LucasArts, I think we'd definitely see both Sam & Max and Monkey 5 being done.

But as things stand now, I would agree with your analysis that "now is not the appropriate time" may mean they've decided to freeze development until after they're done with the current batch of Ep III games that are sure to be in development somewhere deep inside LucasArts.

Originally posted by cappuchok

The ironic strangeness is that if George Lucas himself was in charge of LucasArts, I think we'd definitely see both Sam & Max and Monkey 5 being done.

Would he? Think about it, waste resources on some adventure game that may not sell that well, or make more games on your milestone, Star Wars, that's sure to sell. If George had the choice, what do you think George would do?

Also, this isn't the right time may mean that after the Ep3 games are out they may consider adventure games, but the fact of the matter is, they weren't talking about it not being the right time for them, they'd already finished most of Sam & max 2 before cancelling it so it was nothing to do with resources, it was market figures and current trends that made them think that people wouldn't have bought it, and to be honest, i'm at a guess at saying that it'll probably be about three tiumes the amount of people browsing the entire LF boards that will buy them and even then it probably wouldn't make that much money (in comparison with what it would spend to make it) which is why they axed it. they knew they wouldn't make much money on it, and as the yeasr go on, sales predictions will go down meaning they'll probably never make a Sam & Max 2 or MI5

Well when I said cancel MI5 I was speaking in the terms of cancel the project before it even got started.

What will lucasarts do after episode 3 in the star wars saga ,make a series.

If they keep making star wars games soon we will see games like ,Star Wars Yoda Fashion Designer or Star Wars the game based on star wars where you get to play a game based on star wars where in that game you play star wars game based on star wars game based on

Star wars or Star Wars hail lucasarts star wars games or star wars the fall of sam and max and the rise of star wars.

and finally star wars: game world take over. oy THE HORROR!!!!!!!!

HOW LONG CAN STAR WARS LAST!!

Hey I looked at key facts at lec site and it said 39 originals 51 star wars and iny games. Now how many indy games were made like 5 or 10.

Archived