Home

When will it end. (reality tv sucks)

Kain

They've been around for years, remember "Cops"?

Then of course you get the daytime talk shows that proport to be "reality" like Phil Donahue, Geraldo and Oprah (of course Oprah has gone "mainstream" and the other two don't do their talk shows anymore, now we have Muarry Povitch, Jerry Springer and whoever the heck else I don't watch 'em).

You're right, "reality" shows for the most part are about as real as Professional Wrestling. They have scripts (even if there is some ad-libbing), editing, casting, etc.

And people are encouraged to act a certain way (ie: given characters, just like any other type of fiction drama), and they only show you the "interesting" parts anyway.

Besides, even if it was 100% unrehearsed and unscripted, the fact that the people KNOW (and they have to for legal reasons, or else their faces would be blocked out for fear of getting sued) they are being recorded, means that they will not be acting "natural" or "spontaneous" for real.

So it's all a sham really and I never really got why it was so popular.

Then again with regards to the Jerry Springer show and stuff like that I guess it's "wow at least I'm not as pathetic as THOSE people, now I feel better about myself" and perhaps with those gameshow type shows and "the Real World" it's like who wouldn't want to be an adolescent kid living in a big house with a ton of attractive members of the opposite sex and nothing to do but sit around drinking, shopping and going to party after party with seemingly no need to work a job they hate or deal with bosses, parents, authority figures, etc.

What I watch . . .

HOCKEY!

Simpsons (only brand new ones or old ones)

Cheers

The OC

West Wing

Enterprise = Enter the Male - Heellllo T'Pol

Sopranos

PTI and Around the Horn when I can

Reality TV:

Survivor

Big Brother

Real World vs Road Rules

I don't always get to watch these shows. In fact the only one that I get to watch all the time is Hockey, Sopranos, and 24 due to playing time and reruns.

BTP

Archived