Home

Bugged Cloaking Shield (Siege) = Linux to Blame?

Kurgan

Maybe you've seen this bug before.. you're playing on a Siege server, and you pick Lando (Scout) on Desert or Hoth.

You try to turn on your Cloaking Shield and nothing happens. Makes the noise but no cloak comes up. You bang on the key all match long and it never works.

Since I started running my fast JA dedicated server (it's linux 1.011) I haven't been able to use the cloak.

Could it be that there is some bug in that version that prevents the Cloak from working?

Or am I just crazy? It seemed like it worked for me in the past, but I figured maybe that was because I was using win32.

Anyway, switching back to win32 isn't an option for me now, so does anyone know if this is fixable?

Could a mod like OJP fix this? It's just annoying to have such an important ability not work at all. ; p

I know Raven said no more patches, but couldn't whoever does the Linux compiles somehow fix this? (if indeed my hunch is correct)

Thoughts?

This happens on JA+ servers and other mods that have it enabled. The only thing that can really be done is restarting the server. That should fix it, but there is no Perm. fix for it that i know of

Funny you should mention this, Kurgan. I was playing on your server yesterday for a while...and when I tried to use the E-web canon (playing Rebel, Assault class on Tatooine), I kept hitting the button but couldn't get the canon to appear. I even remapped keys in case one of mine was dodgy or something, but still no joy.

So it might not be restricted to Lando...

Originally posted by StormHammer

Funny you should mention this, Kurgan. I was playing on your server yesterday for a while...and when I tried to use the E-web canon (playing Rebel, Assault class on Tatooine), I kept hitting the button but couldn't get the canon to appear. I even remapped keys in case one of mine was dodgy or something, but still no joy.

So it might not be restricted to Lando...

Maybe you already know this, but if you're not on level ground, the E-Web will not appear..

I don't know about JA+, like I said, I don't use Admin Mods, so if it fixes or breaks it, I have no idea.

The EWEB thing is a bit tricky to answer (always works for me) because if you're on a slight incline sometimes it will appear then instantly undeploy (happened to me in the last game) until you get on a fully flat surface.

Your EWEB can be destroyed (and sometimes you'll be lucky and survive) even by teammates with friendly fire off. If this happens you may have a "ghost" icon in your inventory of the item but you can't redeploy it until you respawn. The "ghosting" of the inventory icon sometimes happens with bacta for certain characters too. You've used it already but sometimes the icon still appears, then quickly vanishes.

No, the Cloak bug is such that it makes the noise, and the bar appears but instantly vanishes. No invisibility effect at all. You can tap the button again and it still does it.

It isn't as if it's working but not making you invisible, it's like it's crapping out so you just get a sound effect nothing more.

It's a common and known bug in siege, well atleast siege regulars know about it, i'm not sure what the deal with it is, but I think it's somthing connected with the servers force cvars. x-mod plans to fix alot of siege bugs (and siege has oh so many bugs).

Originally posted by Druid Bremen

Maybe you already know this, but if you're not on level ground, the E-Web will not appear..

Yep. I already know. ;)

I went to one of my usual 'spots'...and tried shuffling around. No joy. I'll have to try it again...just to make sure my installation isn't broken somehow...

Well if Xmod2 fixed enough of them I might consider using it regularly!

Seriously though if it is discovered exactly what cvars do it, post them here or let me know.

Incidentally I am running full force, all weapons, debugmelee on, full dismemberment, saberdamagescale 2.

I had bothonorableduelacceptance on, but it's pointless in Siege so it's turned off, as are saber locks and duel challenges. ; )

I am using g_teamforcebalance and g_teamautojoin though...

Played Siege for a couple hours last night and nobody could see my Cloak, nor did their's work either.

I asked people to yell if they saw a cloaked player or could get it to work and nothing.

; p

Btw, the cloak works PERFECTLY for me if and only if I run a win32 server from my home computer. If I join my linux based rented server it's completely useless.

Archived