ET Warrior

Widescreen or Fullscreen?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Widescreen or Fullscreen?

• Widescreen
    • Fullscreen
    • Meh

Originally posted by The Cheat

i wish it was like that here. i hate how walmart usually only has fullscreen when there are two different versions :(

I had to buy Episode 2 in fullscreen because I couldn't find a SINGLE STORE in my town that had it in widescreen :(

Talk about depressing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehehe. I barely watch EpII anymore. Still, it's in fullscreen.

*starts throwing out all the stupid fullscreen movies, jumps out window after them after realizing he doesn't have enough money to buy replacements*

I'm gonna go back and rebuy them someday. WIDESCREEN IS TEH PWN! :xp:

The only reason I liked fullscreen was because the whole picture was expanded and I felt like I could see more. DAMN THEM!

What's panning?

Originally posted by Mike Windu

What's panning?

When you're watching a movie and it's like the picture is sliding sideways along the screen, but it looks really unnatural and weird, like they're using some sort of stupid camera technique.

i buy everything in widescreen, but before everybody completely disses fullscreen, remember why it came about. On small screen TVs the size of the widescreen picture is just too small.

I used to only have a 14 inch tv (small student flat) and although i still tended to buy videos in widescreen (purist in me) a lot of action movies actually had more OOMPH in fullscreen as you seemed closer to the action.

However once I upgraded to a decent size tv (and then a widescreen tv) I really appreciated widescreen as it made most of the films just look so much more epic, artistic and impressive.

I remember seeing Conan on tv, for example, and it just looked like a cheap, dated movie with silly costumes. But once i saw it in widescreen, with all the beautiful scenery it made me appreciate it so much more.

So, if you have a small screen it may be worth buying action movies in fullscreen, but if you have anything remotely big, widescreen is the way to go.

But, as you say, you really have to search to even find a fullscreen dvd in the UK.

Originally posted by Siv

i could give reasons, but after all it’s just a preference.

I think he is saying you usually have a lot to say about anything.

Oh and if anyone dosn't like widescreen, ust press the zoom button on ure DVD remote, problem solved!

65926_sm.jpg

panning just moves across the image to show another part of the image in the full screen (4:3) ration. so in the image above, if padme began speaking it may "pan" moving the image over to show padme instead of obiwan and anakin

i think that best explains it, it really is a bad thing

Weird, my Wal-Mart has both versions here....

Well ET and I's walmart where we live is kind of....bad. Like my parents really wanted second lions and went there the day it was ouy, and they had not put it out yet. They didn't put it out till two days later. They're just a bunch of stupid heads.

I always get widescreen if it's available (preferably anamorphic if it's a DVD).

I figure if the movie was intended to be widescreen, the home releases should reflect this. I feel a bit "cheated" if I only get the full frame on a rental.

A few times I've bought a DVD movie and gotted the full frame or "pan 'n' scan" by accident (usually due to poorly labelled packaging or misleading advertisments). In those cases I've returned it for a full refund and the salespeople have been sympathetic so far.

It's not just "movie buffs" anymore that care about widescreen, I think the general public is starting to wake up to what the feature really amounts to.

I think video retailers are just out to make more money when they release seperate full screen and widescreen versions, taking advantage of the people who don't know the difference. How hard is it to put both versions on the same disc? It's probably cheaper to do it that way than produce two totally seperate versions. So the consumer just pushes a button on their remote to switch. Not hard at all...

One thing I always hated about movies on TV or on VHS was how they would be widescreen, but only during the credits, then we got the full frame version. You lose some of the picture (bad for movies with grand vistas and panoramic shots or during conversations between two people or a long shot).

About the only time that full frame doesn't bother me is if the original source was in full frame (in this case it's accurate to the source which is the whole point anyway) and possibly if you have bad eyesight and a really small screen.

Still on my 14in crappy TV I still prefer to watch widescreen vs. full screen if given the choice.

When one thinks about it, movies USED to be in the aspect ratio that we're used to (more or less square). When I saw the Wizard of Oz re-release in theaters in the late 90's it was odd to see it "square" but that's how it was released in 1939. In the 50's TV sets were square like the movies. Then in the 60's (or thereabouts) they came out with widescreen movies in theaters to show off the new eye candy and get people to come to theaters more. So widescreen tv's in the last 5 or 10 years are just now catching up.

Still, I wouldn't spend $2000 bucks on a widescreen HD tv just yet. Why? Because the plasma screens that are so popular are clunky and prone to burn in and other problems. Plus I wouldn't be able to afford it, much less the HD TV subscription (and why bother, who cares if I can watch the news or commercials in HD? It's the same crap. Without good programming it's a waste).

If they're going to phase out regular TV and make us all get HD TV they better make it more affordable and worth our while.

Anyway, if I did get a widescreen TV it would probably be like most people are doing it, to watch DVD's in a "home theater" setting. But for now DVD's still look best on my 20in monitor on my pc. ; )

Got off track there, but Widescreen all the way!

Archived