Home

Did MI4 suck or what???

Mally

I have been playing the MI games for like 10 years now and i'm pretty sorry to say that MI4 totally sucked balls, i know its a game joke that guybrush gets no respect but they took it too far and if they couldnt get a decent 3d engine DON'T MAKE THE GAME 3D!!!! If they do make a new MI i sure hope they do a way better job then they did in the last installment. What do you guys reckon?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I agree, although this really is a dead horse and EMI's mediocrity has been brought up many times. You're correct, they tried to emphasise the aspects of the game which made the previous games so popular, and went too far.

An example being the use of modern technology and electronic lighting and such in the previous games. It was subtle, which made it funny. In EMI we've got a horrible tourist island full of the stuff, which was just ... Jambalaya Island gives me nightmares.

The humour was also very bad for the most part, failing to raise even a smirk from me. The characters, locations and puzzles were totally unmemorable, totally not fun (especially such ones as the swamp and monkey combat) and in general a chore to play.

It's pretty much the only adventure game I cannot bear to replay. It's too painful.

Now that's the last time I go for a full-on EMI bash, I swear. I've done it too many times now.

Come on, the only place we actually saw vast amounts of electricity being used in the first game was at Stans, and for some reason, that just fitted so well. Jambalaya island, now that's just creepy. Sorry, but I can't let that monkey swing on that nose in the first game without thinking about emi now and that's not a good thing.

Yes we want an MI5, we want it to rectify the mistakes made in EMI. No, it wasn't the worst game in the world, but if you were to compare it to the other three games, hell would spit it back out it would.

I can at least say that on it's own, yes, it was an okay game, but it can't really hold it own with games like the first three, or Broken Sword or The Longest Journey.

Exactly. It's the worst adventure game I've played in my years of gaming, so I'm not going to pretend it's good just because I'm a fan of the series. Personally, I can't see an MI5 being any better with the direction LucasArts is going - such as showing a total lack of interest in adventure games and firing staff left right and centre.

You may think I don't mean it, but I really do. I hate the damned abomination of a game.

Originally posted by Thrik

Exactly. It's the worst adventure game I've played in my years of gaming, so I'm not going to pretend it's good just because I'm a fan of the series.

So either you have a really bad impression of EMI because of the abomination it is on the MI series, or you just haven't played Simon The Sourcerer 3D, because quite frankly, whatever good points EMI had (it had a few) STS3D couldn't even get that, Simon didn't come acros a cool kid because he was mean to everyone, he just came across as an annoying git who you didn't really care about. so much infact that I never did get round to completing the game and really don't care about doing so.

At least Guybrush in EMI was someone you could care a smidgen about, if not only a smidgen. I have to say, I don't fully agree with you Thrik for two reasons , 1) I'm not you and having the ssame opinion as everyone else is just stupid, I pride myself on my individuality and 2) I did infact find some parts of the game okay, like the pirate school sequence (the concept of it is crap, I really didn't like the whole de-piratise the Caribbean, it seemed that at the end of the game Ozzie had alread done quite a bit of damage which won't easily be rectified after the end of the game, but the sequence was good... slightly) and the diving contest wasn't as much of a chore as say Monkey Kombat (any game that has you repetitively trying something in order to reach one goal is crap, at least the insult fighting in SOMI and CMI had new humour to it each step of the way).

But I do have to say, the worst adventure game i have possibly played at all in my gaming life has to be Simon the Sourcerer 3D, it's just plain stupid.

You're right, I haven't played it.

I was expecting a lot from EMI, but it disappointed me so hard that I've just developed an utter hatred for it. The atmopshere of the islands fails to immerse me at any single time, the characters were quite frankly pathetic and boring (with the exception of previously established ones that they still managed to screw up slightly (H.T. Marley?! Please..)).

Furthermore, the 3D graphics were horrible. The look of the whole game completely turned me off, which immediately made it hard for me to enjoy. If I were asked to find some aspects of EMI I enjoyed, I really would struggle. The soundtrack is probably the only merit it had, and it even managed to screw that up by integrating all the sound effects horribly with the music and, just to make it completely impossible to hear the tracks uninterrupted, LucasArts never bothered releasing it on CD.

Honestly, I've tried -- I really have tried to like EMI. I just can't.

I really didn't like the whole de-piratise the Caribbean, it seemed that at the end of the game Ozzie had alread done quite a bit of damage which won't easily be rectified after the end of the game [/b]

That's not what Monkey Island is about!!! You have to "get with it" don't worry about that thought of thing and let the game take you on a magical and mystical - and often hillarious - journey to the inner depths of your soul :)

Well to each his own I guess. I too had big expectations of EFMI, but as I have a slightly more optomistic outlook on life (although of late it's now more realistic which I think can be a nice combination, but at the time of EMI's release, it was rose coloured glasses all the way) I think I found it easier to find things that may have remotely been good in the games.

Of course as you grow and mature, you find things that aren't as funny anymore (amazingly, that hasn't happened with any of the previous games, save for little tiny bits of CMI) and a lot of things I can find wrong with the game now (from reading many a movie magazine in the past year or so, I've developed a taste for critisicm and therefore can look at a game and point out it's flaws and truimphs).

You have to admit, there were a few good one liners around the place in the game, if only one liners and very small. What I missed were the random stuff you didn't need to pregress, but were funny anyway. It had pointless dialogue, but nothing I would visit again should I replay the game, whereas in the first three, well, the pirate songs in CMI (and the beginning of LCR) were great, the wood chuck game, the random talks with herman in MI1, they were all classic. Nothing much memorable in EMI.

It's got memorable music. You've got to give it that. If nothing else, the music is good.

Originally posted by Thrik

Personally, I can't see an MI5 being any better with the direction LucasArts is going - such as showing a total lack of interest in adventure games and firing staff left right and centre.

Well, LucasArts' direction is the cause of a lot of problems, but I don't think EMI's outcome is one of them. Sean Clark and Mike Stemmle were the most capable people to take over the series left at the company. LucasArts' problems would be the reason an MI5 won't exists at all or will be cancelled; it wouldn't be the reason for bad jokes and the storyline of the game itself.

EMI featured a kind of humor that doesn't quite fit with the MI style for me, and seemed more akin to Sam & Max (if a little less rude). This is one of the many reasons I was looking forward to Stemmle's involvement in Freelance Police.

I liked EMI, my main problem was the controls. I like point and click. And the 3d graphics were bad too. I loved the cartoonyness of CMI.

There are some funny parts in EMI, like the duck.

The stuff about Jambalaya and the pirate rehab. You are supposed to hate that. The game is about getting rid of it. The fact that it was over the top added to that hatred.

The monkey kombat annoyed me after the initial laugh I got from it.

The Monkey Robot and the destruction of the giant monkey head was wrong. That was a real giant monkey!!! You see its bones in SOMI!

I like the game, but easily its not as good as the other three.

What they did with the monkey head in EMI was just beyond words. It's like they totally ignored it ever existed before the game. And how the theme park and such totally disappeared without a single trace at all ... the hell?

That's an interesting way to look at it all, regarding hatred, but it doesn't work for me. We're supposed to hate LeChuck too, but I love the damned character. He's bad in a good way, whilst Jambalaya was totally bad in a totally bad way. It was a horrible experience to play the game during that (large) period in my opinion, and if a game provides a horrible experience then it definitely isn't a game I'm going to like.

I didn't enjoy the other islands either. The islands we've seen before (Melee/Monkey) felt completely off, whilst Lucre Island just had this terrible feel to it which I can't put my finger on. All in all, it's not a game that I look back on fondly and doesn't leave me with any nice thoughts on it whatsoever.

How exactly did the governors mansion end up on the other side of the island from Melee town? In SOMI it was just a stones throw away from the church. And the cliff was way too far away from the mansion, in SOMI, you could basically do a running jump from the doorstep and end up plummetting about 200 feet to the sea.

And monkey island was just wrong, if you rip the artwork for monkey island from SOMI, you'll find it looks nothing like emi's Monkey island.

Eugh, nothing on Melee Island was how it should be. The town looked completely different and didn't remotely resemble a pirate-era town, it just looked like a few buildings in the middle of a clearing.

The Scumm Bar was just ... what?

The layout of everything was totally warped, and not in a good way. They screwed up one of my favourite islands in the series. Then they went and screwed up Monkey Island, which I liked even more in the original.

Jeeeez.

Yeah, I wouldn't say sucked but it wasn't great. I thought all the characters looked lame in 3D and everything was way to futuristic for the traditional MI games, I mean Jambaliya Island (spelling?) What was that?! don't get me started on Planet Threepwood. I want the 5th game to be just like CMI that was the best out of the 4 games. :D

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!? MI4 is, the best MI game ever. The character's are in cartoony 3D, it has great jokes, the bad guy's an Australain which proves we can make it into games :D , monkey combat was fun, the story was great, actually I can't think of anything that was wrong with it, and I hope MI5 will have the same if not better graphics and more great characters like I. Cheese. "Wait a minute your name is 'I Cheese?'" "Aye" "Cheese?" "Aye".

Originally posted by sith_master2000

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!? MI4 is, the best MI game ever. The character's are in cartoony 3D, it has great jokes, the bad guy's an Australain which proves we can make it into games :D , monkey combat was fun, the story was great, actually I can't think of anything that was wrong with it, and I hope MI5 will have the same if not better graphics and more great characters like I. Cheese. "Wait a minute your name is 'I Cheese?'" "Aye" "Cheese?" "Aye".

it's just a matter of opinion dude, MI1 and 2 were way better in my opinion, but then some say that they aren't because they've got crap graphics, no voices and bad sound. well to be honest, I liked all that about it, plus the humour was much better and funnier than EMI. And EMI was just stupid in it's way, in MI1 we had a nice piray amousphere and then in EMi, we suddenly get Jambalaya Island and Planet Threepwood. I mean come on! we fell in love witht he game because of it's humour and piratey atmousphere and then suddenly we get bad humour and worse taste. Nope, just didn't like it.

actually, i agree w/thrik on this one...

mi4 really did stink. if it was the first monkey island that i had played, i probably wouldn't think it was bad, but maybe b/c i played the other three, esp. in sequence, seeing the progression as the years passed, so i was expecting mi4 to be sooo good, and then it wasn't. once you make one game and people play it, you've set a bar there, and if you can't clear it w/the next game, some people just aren't satisfied, and that was me. and judging from what thrik said, i'm guessing he's probably in the same boat as i am...

i guess some people liked it though, for whatever reasons, even though i personally didn't like it all too much, but...

i just wanted to share my opinion. *shrug*

Archived