Home

Did MI4 suck or what???

Mally

Again, matter of opinion, but I do agree with thrik and das, if only a bit as thrik seems to hate it with a passion (I think we can use the word loath), whereas I simply dislike it as a Monkey island game, but think it's reasonable as an adventure game.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats all this about not making it 3d. Grim Fandango was seminal. Broken sword, a lesson in game making to Lucaswars. Personally, I enjoyed playing through it. It made me laugh out loud in places. I liked them bringing back old fav characters. It was more original than curse. It had a half decent ending. Alas if you compare it to what they did in Grim it's a tame effort.

As for joshi, damn you, you have me pressing space after me commas now!!!!!

I thought EMI was great. It's a bit annoying how they warped Melee and Monkey Island. And I agree, they could ahve done a little more to explain the complete and utter evaporation of Carnival of the Damned. Then there's the continuity errors that either a) shouldn't be there. or b) be explained in the game, no have to realy on fans to patch the wholes.

The plot wasn't the same "the pirate menace lechuck," and it'd be hard for it to be new if it was. The plot matched the new atmosphere of the islands with the graphics, which I personally loved, they were just trying something new, and I though tit worked. And I was pleased with the controls.

Humor was great too. And I have to give it the "Best Use of 'You Fight Like a Cow' Since it's First Use" award.

I thought it was a great game, plain and simple.

And it scares me how people hate it so deeply, especially people with such creepy avatars. :D

That guy up there^

Humor was great too. And I have to give it the "Best Use of 'You Fight Like a Cow' Since it's First Use" award.

No, that goes to CMI for it's

"Every enemy I have met I have annihilated!"

"Oh yeah? Well... You fight like a cow!"

• 2 weeks later...

EMI might have been more enjoyable if it wasn't 3D. After being so used to the old LA Scumm interface, I can't stand not having a mouse cursor on screen. It really disconnects me from the game. Also the 3D didn't really do the game any justice; they should have stuck with the art of CMI.

(I did, however, like Grim Fandango’s use of 3D, only because it was something new - never did I want it to become a standard for other games)

Hi Mally

I played Monkeys Island ever since MI1 was released back in 1990 and MI2 was released back in 1991. 14 years on and I still play them constantly completing them over and over again and I enjoy them immensely MI1 and MI2 are Classics.

MI1, MI2 remain as my most favourite classic story games of all time along with my other most favourite story games, Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis, Hook, Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia, Manic Mansion along with many others.

In my Opinion, now this is just my opinion as a Veteran Gamer for me personally MI3 and MI4 were just good story games they were not good sequels and should never of been released as Monkeys Island games they are by no mean Classics.

I have MI3, MI4 I have played them completed them I hardly ever play them know. Yet I still play MI1 and MI2 14 years on and not just for Nostalgic purposes I play them because as a fan of story games I enjoy MI1, MI2 the most.

In my opinion here’s the reason why MI3, MI4 are not as good as MI1, MI2.

The reason Ron Gilbert creator of MI and project leader left Lucasarts after completing MI1, MI2. In his contract because he was working and creating games for Lucasarts sadly all the rights for MI belong to Lucasarts. Ron Gilbert left and Lucasarts continued the MI franchise.

When Ron Gilbert Left as creator of Monkeys Island he left with a brain full of all the original ideas he had for the sequel to MI2 and any ideas for MI games after that, as well as vast knowledge and lots of experience. Lucasarts continued with there own ideas for MI by Making MI3, MI4. MI3, MI4 were not good sequels and for me personally they are not the real sequels the real sequels remain in the brain of Ron Gilbert. Unless Lucasarts get back Ron Gilbert and announce in true Monkeys Island style that MI3, MI4 were just a dream then MI games will just continue to be nothing more than good story games.

"This is just my Opinion".

"Shiver Me Timbers"

I think we as fans have to accept that the MI series has moved on to new creative territory with a whole new cast of mainly inexperienced people working on it. With Ron Gilbert being gone a number of years I can't see him leaving his own company to start on another Mi. However I agree and have said many times before that EMI was a disappointment mainly due to the complete lack of atmosphere I believe due to the graphics. Bring back a polished version of the graphics from CMI now that had atmosphere. However I don't believe that this will happen in the monetary world in which we live, game success is measured on units sold and not critical acclaim recieved. For that reason I believe that we as fans will have to suffer through a number of inferior sequels until perhaps a real fan who remembers the first three MI's takes charge, that or a someone with a few good new ideas. Either way we'll be waiting a while. That was a boring one but thaks if you read it through

Originally posted by Largo LaGrande

Hi Mally

I played Monkeys Island ever since MI1 was released...

I would just like to point out that 'The Secret of Monkey Island' and 'Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge' were both collaborative efforts by Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman. Therfore, in order to get back that unique humour that we got when playing MI1 and 2, we would need to get all three of them back, and considering they've all gone their seperate ways (Schafer producing that potentially great game 'Psychonauts' and Grossman writing poems every week) I doubt that will happen.

But if it did happen, then it would be possible for a great monkey Island game to come out of them. that is a game I would definately buy and play, and then play again.

Hi Nioe

Maybe we will have a few more under par sequels before any big changes for MI are made. But i think it is going to be sooner rather than later. Because if like you suggest MI game success is measured on units sold and not critical acclaim recieved, then they will see MI4 was not a large sucess. Because it dident last long in the top half of the offical games charts. Elspa who run the offical games charts measure each game on units sold worldwide which suggests MI4 wasnt huge or sucessfull in units sold terms.

The MI franchise is still one of the top names in the games industry its classed as a AAA title. As a AAA game it dident manage to sell as good as some of the none AAA games, and it wasnt long after release before they dropped the price of MI4 just like they did with MI3 and then bundled it with the other MI games in a box set for good measure so you can buy them all at a low price. So heads will have roled at Lucasarts Studios MI department. And there will have been changes hopefully project leaders ect, it would be nice to see Ron Gillbert Back behind the whell of the ship again but we will have to see.

Hi Joshi

Secret of Monkey Island' and 'Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge' were collaborative efforts. And so having all of the team back would be great.

Ron Gilbert was Project Leader, Lead Programer, Designer

and Created and Designed Monkeys Island. And i think just to have him back would be good enougth for me. However Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman also Bret Barrett, Tami Borowick although they were just the Programming team working with and for Ron Gilbert, my ultimate wish would be to have all of them brought back to make MI games.

Now despite the fact they have all gone their seperate ways they havent had much sucess recently. And if Ron Gilbert returned to Lucasarts to his old roles then as the project leader he has the right to choose his programers and team. Therefore his choice would be Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman also Bret Barrett, Tami Borowick and they would be back in a flash along with others.

Lets hope it happens and soon.

Also for the PC does anyone know if there will be any sequels coming out to the following story games Hook, Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia 3, Maniac Mansion, Dark Seed 2, The Dig and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. I know numerous Indian jones action games have been released but a story game sequel to it has not been released as far as i know.

Also for the PC does anyone know if there will be any sequels coming out to the following story games Hook, Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia 3, Manic Mansion, Dark Seed 2, The Dig and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. I know numerous Indian jones action games have been released but a story game sequel to it has not been released as far as i know.

It's called Maniac Mansion, and yes there has been a sequel, it was called Day of the Tentacle and was released in 1994.

It still had Dr edison, his wife, his sone and that geeky guy who's name I can't remember (Bernard?)

And yeah, Gilbert did come up with most of the story and jokes of MI1 and 2, but note, tim Schafer came up with the entire concept of Grim Fandango (okay, so the Mexicans basically came up with the concept[./i], but you know what I mean). To have him on board would be great.

But Schafer's company "Double Fine" is actually doing quite well and I think Psychonauts wil do very well for him.

Originally posted by Joshi

It still had Dr edison, his wife, his sone and that geeky guy who's name I can't remember (Bernard?)

Bernard Bernoulie. Also Laverne, and Hoagie, but they weren't in the other game so it doesn't really help your point.

Was cousion Ed? in the first one?

Excelent I will have to get it ive never wanted to get it because i dident like the look of the stlye of graphics. Its actually called Maniac Mansion 2 Day of the Tentacle i should of got it ages ago its a straight sequel.

Dr Fred Edison and Nurse Edna Edison were cool but my most favourite charcter was Mr and Mr Edisons son weird Ed Edison its cool the way you can steal his hamster and watch him cry or steal his post and watch him get upset from the gid and the music was the music was awsome.

Dude. For a start, DOTT (day of the tentacle) is way better. And plus, if you haven't played maniac mansion in a while, it doesn't matter, you don't have to, but if you want to, it comes with DOTT, as a game within a game.

Unfortunately, the only place I've seen if for sale is in a double pack with sam n max Hit the Road, but hey, that's good to.

Oh, and DOTT's major plot point is about re-stealing Weird Ed Edison's hamster.

Not really, but you do get to do it!

DOTT is totally worth getting if you haven't played it! Just for the fact that it comes with Maniac Mansion alone, like Joshi said.

Also, for those that enjoyed the older 2d monkey islands a lot, but wants more of a challenge, to me personally, DOTT was a b*tch to complete. I found the tentacle game a lot harder than the Monkeys, but I never was particularly good at games of any kind hehe.

Th difficulty in DOTT comes with the fact that at any point in the game (mostly), you can switch between the 3 characters, which means the story doesn't follow a straight line like most adventure games do. Even now, afetr completing it about 3 times, it still takes me a while to figure things out.

But the whole 3 time periods thing was a stroke of genius.

Thanks I am definitely going to get the Lucas Classic Line multipack because that includes Maniac Mansion 2 Day of The tentacle, Sam and Max and the absolutely awesome Amiga classic, Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. The new version of Lucas Classic Line doesn’t include Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis the older version does so that’s the one I will be getting.

Also I was searching for news to see if there would be PC sequels to some Amiga classics like The Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia, Hook Dark Seed and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis.

I typed in Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis 2 and apparently there was going to be a point and Click sequel to Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis called Indiana Jones And The Spear of Destiny. But like Sam and Max 2 and Full throttle 2 it was cancelled it would be great if the decided to make it again.

Like throughout many companies and many times in the past, that game probably never got off the ground, they thought they were going to make it, but then didn't (like the original Full Throttle 2 which basically only had concept art before it was axed).

I wouldn't get annoyed with LEC over this (as I'm sure some would do with the news that they cancelled another game, despite it being years ago) as all companies do this all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

The sequel to Indiana Jones And the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones And The And The Spear of Destiny was in the advanced stages of production then they decided not to release it.

If Indiana Jones And The Spear of Destiny was released it would have been a dream sequel to one of the greatest point and click adventures of our time.

I would rather Lucasarts had never told us of the sequels existence because when they drop a game of that status after telling us you are left dreaming of what it might have been like.

I know some games companys do cancel games but they dont anounce they are going to release a game then cancel it thats very bad and if they do its very rare and it is usually the small companys that do this.

Its not like its Lucasarts's first time, Lucasarts are the only games company that do this Consistently its a very bad habit of theres I have never seen a games company other than Lucasarts anounce and then cancel so many amazing games.

:indy:

Lucasarts never announced the production of the Indiana Jones game, or the original full throttle 2 game, they were unrooted in interveiws and so on from people who didn't work for the company anymore.

And with the second attempt at Full throttle 2 and sam n Max 2, they both came along with trailers to back them up, so they were pretty sure that both games would do actually make it which is why the told us about them before cancelling them. They don't go into the project with the intent of cancelling them you know.

Archived