Home

Did MI4 suck or what???

Mally

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MI4 was the worst thing that could possibly have happened to the series. Nobody wanted a rubbish 3D game, with puzzles that was just annoying rather than fun, and nobody wanted the entire series to be completely ruined forever. I'm sure somebody's noticed this before, but I'll say it anyway.

In MI4 you 'discover' that Herman Toothrot is H.T Marley (Elaine's dad) but he can't be because Herman Toothrot was the first mate on the ship that Guybrush takes to Monkey Island in the first game. It has his name in the captain's log! I think that absolutely nothing in MI4 has any relevance the the rest of the series, and we should all just deny it's existance.

And I wish Ron Gilbert would tell us what was supposed to happen in MI3! :mad:

MI4 was great, if not quite up to par with the others. And I assure you, it is NOT the worst thing that could have happened to the series. Clark and Stemmle were probably the most capable people at LucasArts to make the game. Who else would you have picked? Now that just about everyone is gone, I think a team that would be assembled to make MI5 would be rather unequipped as far as "Monkey Island" experience (which seems to be what you people want) goes.

Okay, so I was extremely pissed by the Herman Toothrot/H.T. Marley thing. That's probably my biggest gripe about the game. And you could make a case that the Herman in MI1 and MI2 was a separate person altogether.

Originally posted by Megadanxzero

And I wish Ron Gilbert would tell us what was supposed to happen in MI3! :mad:

According to Gilbert, the whole of MI1 and 2 was meant to be a little boys dream whilst he wandered through a theme park, explaining the ending of MI2. the evil eyes thing was meant to be a sort of explanation should there ever be a sequel, but Gilbert didn't have one in mind at the time, to him, the game was finished, but had the potential to go on. I don't know if he has a story in mind now, but yeah, that was basically it.

• 3 years later...

Oh dear, it sucked, I mean it really sucked.

I am just playing (or should I say trying to play) it.

I got a cheap rerelease of the game, so it "only" cost me 10 Euros, but even that seems to much.

So where do I start:

1. The graphics. I mean come on Lucas Arts! The characters look like they have been modeled by a 3 year old. NOTE one can make nicely modeled and styled characters with few polygons (and yeah, I know what I am talking about), but these models are just badly designed. I mean compare this to the graphics in MI3, which looked, waaay, waaay better. Personally I do not know any reason for them to make 3d- characters other than budget reasons (you dont have to hand- draw animation phases for every perspective and situation). But if you do something like that do it right!

The background graphics dont win an Oskar in my book either. I mean there is a whacky style and thats good, but this can still be drawn in a way that does not only look whacky, but also good, if you know what I mean. This most of the time looks just like badly rendered stuff, sorry. I have seen much better in free adventures.

2. The controls are insane! It feels like a console game (but was never released on consoles from what I know). Seems to me like some marketing fuzzy thought "uhm consoles are selling good, console games are selling good, maybe we should uhm make it more like a console game so uhm it sells good..." WRONG! There is a reason why there are so few adventures on consoles and that is that the controls of consoles just outright suck compared to a mouse, when it comes to adventures (and some other games too if you ask me, but noone does anyway).

3. This game is horribly buggy. I mean unplayably buggy! I am currently experiencing some returning bug that looks like this: A windows pops up that says

" Congratulations you have Found a bug! More than 12 MB of resources have been blocked. Report it to the authorities and then restart the game and return to work"

What is that? Is this supposed to be funny?!!! I am not your fracking Beta- Tester! If you want me to Beta- Test for you, then pay me! You obviously forgot to pay yours, or is there any other reason for the amount of bugs in this game? Anyway whenever this Window popps up I have to reload a previous save game or the game will slow down to a crawl (on a computer that runs just Oblivion fine, btw) and wont get back to normal speed again, no matter what I do. Reloading a previous save game might(!) fix the problem or not. So I find myself redoing the same stupid puzzle over and over again, which is NOT FUN!

4. This leads me to the puzzles: If you are a game developer and think that doing timed puzzles (like the puzzle where you have to throw rocks down the wells) is fun with these idiotic controls, you have have the wrong job (I think garbage man might be a more suitable chareer for you then)!

Now if you have to do this over and over again because of a stupid reoccurring bug it kinda gets boring.

5. If I make a full 1.5 GB install of a game I do expect that it does not keep loading from CD constantly. I mean what were those 1.5 GB for? This game is graphically and soundwise such a joke, so what are you using those for? And then I even have to switch CDs? Sure, excellent programming there. Go home and learn your job before you attempt something like that again!

Final words: This is the first adventure game in a long time (and I have been playing lots and lots lately, even free ones, amateur ones and old ones). That I am not finishing. I dont feel like it really. I mean seeing Guybrush turn arround in slow motion (even though I dont want him to) due to bugs and stupid controls just makes me want to barf! It makes the game fracking unplayable!

So if anyone considers buying it (and even if you, like me have played and loved all the previous games in the series), either reconsider, or bring a strong stomack and a lot of patience.

CU

Skippy

Oh man. Largo. You are...back.

Thanks dude

I never left I still read I haven’t posted here for a while because I use the mojo forums more.

This forum is still awesome I would never leave here there are so many memories and I have so many friends.

This is the best place on the web were you can talk and debate on Monkey Island games.

I hadn’t posted on here for a while until some dude decided to comment on an old post.

Did you pay me toll and weres my grog.

Well, I was reading through the forum, trying to find some hints on how to make this game run better...

I did not find anything really usable, but dug up this thread here that at least allowed me to vent my frustration.

Maybe I should have opened a new thread for that?

CU

Skippy

Ray

I still have the ps2 version of monkey island 4 it runs excellently.

Its actually not that bad a game its not as good as good as Monkey Island 1 and 2 they are classics.

But Monkey Island 4 is still a good Monkey Island game.

I think that Monkey Island is best in 2D and I hope that when they make Monkey Island 5 they make it 2D and get Ron Gilbert back, and get him to continue from Monkey Island 2 the way he wanted it to continue and forget about 3 and 4.

I would also like them to make it for PC and Xbox 360 and I would like to see Monkey Island 1 and 2 on Xbox Live Aracde.

I really disliked the way MI4 dicked about with established continuity and the MI Universe in general. The first three MI games sort of toyed with the fourth wall but never really broke it, while MI4 threw a brick through it, ransacked it for loot, and then told some really duff jokes on the way out. MI3 isn't as good as the first two games but so far as I'm concerned it's a fitting end to the series.

Kudos to the developers for managing to do Stan's suit in 3D, though.

I really disliked the way MI4 dicked about with established continuity and the MI Universe in general. The first three MI games sort of toyed with the fourth wall but never really broke it, while MI4 threw a brick through it, ransacked it for loot, and then told some really duff jokes on the way out. MI3 isn't as good as the first two games but so far as I'm concerned it's a fitting end to the series.

Kudos to the developers for managing to do Stan's suit in 3D, though.

I only liked Monkey Island 1 and 2 because after 1 and 2 they got rid of creator Ron Gilbert and they changed the graphics and story for the worse and that’s why I don’t like Monkey Island 3 and 4.

They are not bad games there just not as good as Monkey Island 1 and 2.

I think they should get Ron Gilbert back to make Monkey Island 3 go back to the classic 2D graphics of Monkey Island 2 and ask him to carry on the story from were Monkey Island 2 left us they way he originally wanted to and make Monkey Island 3, they should start the story for Monkey Island 3 by saying 3 and 4 were just a dream.

I don't know why you guys keep criticizing MI3. It was great, but the only problem is the game is super short, and it doesn't fit with the MI2's ending. Well, that's two problems. But it's not letting the game's value down, right? Its graphic was superior (I best like the Puerto Pollo town background), its music was the best of the best, so does its voice acting, scripting, et cetera...

Small note: I first know of MI series by playing MI3 since I was about 9 or 10. After that one or two years, I bought MI4. Then last year, I have a chance to play MI2 and the last: MI1. MI2, I agree, is superior. MI1 does great too, but it's too... quiet! Well, MI1 didn't have iMUSE, so it's acceptable. (Uhhh that's a pretty long small note).

IMHO, I'll arrange like this:

MI2 -> MI3 -> MI1 -> MI4.

You may reply this arrangement in anger, but, it's just my opinion ;).

Another thing: MI4 DID have something good. I can tell is its music, well, damn good, or excellent. I love it, the "House of Wax theme", "Elaine's Mansion theme", and the background music playing when the Voodoo lady tells Guybrush about Ultimate Insult from the chest. It was great, right?

It is an old thread, yes. But someone necro'd it a while ago and the discussion has just sort-of resumed. Four years a fair amount of time and offers much in the way of hindsight.

I've always considered MI1 and 2 to be two halves of the same game, much in the same way that Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter both make up the first game in that particular series (and from what I recall Ron Gilbert did originally want it to be one game, but I can't remember where I read that). Individually I still rate MI1 higher than MI2. MI3 was almost as good as the first two games.

MI4, though? Let's pretend it didn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been playing the MI games for like 10 years now and i'm pretty sorry to say that MI4 totally sucked balls, i know its a game joke that guybrush gets no respect but they took it too far and if they couldnt get a decent 3d engine DON'T MAKE THE GAME 3D!!!! If they do make a new MI i sure hope they do a way better job then they did in the last installment. What do you guys reckon?

I agree with you, MI4 sucks!!!! I love MI series, but I didn't finish MI4, it's sooo ugly and it sucks so much! The first time I saw it I asked myself: who's that guy? I played it for some time, then I was disgusted by it... :disaprove

:monkey4::monkey4::monkey4::monkey4:

Archived