Home

Did MI4 suck or what???

Mally

I agree with you, MI4 sucks!!!! I love MI series, but I didn't finish MI4, it's sooo ugly and it sucks so much! The first time I saw it I asked myself: who's that guy? I played it for some time, then I was disgusted by it... :disaprove

:monkey4::monkey4::monkey4::monkey4:

I agree i mean MI3 OR MI4 are not bad games there just not as good as MI1 or MI2.

When they changed the look of the game and the look of guybrush in MI3 and MI4 i was so upset because guybrush was like a role model for me he was badass in MI1 and MI2 i liked the look of him in MI2 best.

I was upset because guybrush went from being the badass character he was in MI1 and MI2 to a weedy camp gay looking character in MI3 and MI4 i was so upset.

Go here to see for yourself http://2f.img.v4.skyrock.com/2fa/guybrush/pics/123419668_small.jpg

I liked MI1 and MI2 because they were dark and spooky.

They dident just change guybrush they changed the loook of our other favourite charcaters too in MI3 and MI4.

I liked how le chuck looked in MI2.

http://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/av-49891.gif

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahoy!

I don't know if anyone will still read this, but I will say it anyway. : D

I looked back on the notes in this topic and generally I think that people who started playing MI ever since the beginning, were much more disappointed with the outcome of the 4th game than gamers who played only the more recent games (3 and 4).

Personally for me, it was a disappointment, however at the time, I was just glad to play a MonkeyIsland game once again and tried to focus on the things that I used to love about the games before.

However, just like some of you on this Forum I didn't finish the game because of the annoying things all listed here before (bugs, boring story, ANNOYING ATMOSPHERE)

Looking back on the game after this many years, I agree that it is best to pretend this episode never happened and its easier now, since I hardly remember the 4th game anymore, having replayed all the other MI games since 2001. ; )

Although I think of it as the worst of four great games, I consider myself one of EMI's biggest defenders. I maintain that if a Monkey Island 5 were ever made, this game would hold up a lot better in people's minds as a middle chapter rather than an ending one.

Also, I've concluded that I feel toward Indiana Jones 4 the way everyone else feels about EMI.

• 2 months later...

I just started re-playing MI4 for the first time in a few years now (cleaning out cupboard, found the discs) and I have to say, it's one good game. Compared to the other MI games, it's the worst of the 4, but then, compared to the large selection of adventure games out there, it really is very good. Even with its flaws, it's a great game.

MI 4 didn't have the charm that the previous games had and I think goin 3D was cause of how well recieved Grim Fandango was they thought it would work with Monkey Island, how wrong they were indeed.

It also kinda leaves the series with a gaping hole that needs to be fixed before it gets bigger and can't be repaired at all.

I suspect going with a previously existing 3D engine had a lot to do with budget. By all accounts, LucasArts funded EMI modestly (probably a wise move and the only reason the game made a profit), and I'm guessing they weren't interested in paying for a game with 200 painted backgrounds and hand-drawn animation again. CMI and Grim Fandango were extremely well-received games, but I think their financial success was only moderate which led them to be the last uber-budget adventure games the company would put out.

EMI is not nearly as visually satisfying a game as CMI - not by a long shot - but within the strict parameters the team was likely made to work under (intentionally low target specs, two CDs, low poly models, low resolution), it was respectable. The art direction had room for improvement, but honestly for a low-end 3D game made in 2000, EMI's visual style stands out as something reasonably different and interesting I think.

Okay so, what I said in my last post... scratch that. Re-playing it again was interesting to a point, and that point was when we land back on monkey island. It was then I remembered how the rest of the game went and I simply stopped playing. I just couldn't be bothered with it. I still think it's a better game than a lot of other adventure games out there, but right now I'm finding it to be fairly boring.

Archived