Home

dismemberment

Tinny

yay guys, i gota good compiler and now i can make mods :) . i made some basic changes, but i want to try weapon dismemberment. say i blast someone in the arm, i can can blast their arms off. one more thing, is there somewhere i can edit things to where i can have mutliple dismemberment? if i have a light saber swing horizontally through the shoulders, both arms fall off.

Probably the main reason it's limited to one cut for players is because of ragdoll - each time you cut somebody, you're making an entirely new ghoul2 instance, and copying their model - it's clever, but with ragdol, it could be painful to turn one set of calculations in to 8 (or more).

You could disable ragdoll, and then maybe nobody would care.

hey, with Azymn's help i got the gun dismemberment working :). its not as hard as it looked, now this multiple dismemberment part is tricky, thx for the tip Wudan. will look into ghoul and npcs now.

hey guys, i got the multiple dismemberment working with bots somewhat, but it works for a very short period of time. in the g_combat.c file there are these lines:

if (targ->s.eType == ET_NPC && targ->client && (targ->s.eFlags & EF_DEAD) )

{ //an NPC that's already dead. Maybe we can cut some more limbs off!

i changed it to:

if (targ->s.eType == ET_NPC || targ->s.eType == ET_PLAYER && targ->client && (targ->s.eFlags & EF_DEAD) )

{ //an NPC that's already dead. Maybe we can cut some more limbs off!

now the main limiting factor was the disintigration, the body just vaporized when i attacked it soon, but i disabled that and now i can make stew out of a body if i do a saber twirl or kata just like i can if i do it to an npc. the thing is after a second or 2 it stops responding and its a solid body that is completely unresponsive. i think this has something to do with one being able to use the force (like push a body) right after you kill them, and after a second they don't respond to the force.

One other problem you run into is that after a certain period of time, a body's appearance is copied to a queue to simply display the body until some deadbodytimer runs out. At this point, it's no longer a model that can be cut, animated, ragdolled, or anything like unto it - it's simply a static shell.

In order to preserve the ability to hack up a body, you have to prevent the clientside fx functions from converting it from a dynamic model to a static husk.

This will increase the rendering load on the client, b/c depending on the rate of death and the bodyqueue timer one could have dozens of models active simultaneously.

Originally posted by razorace

Uh, like I stated earlier, multiple dismember already works for NPCs. I've tested that myself on stormtroopers.

Secondly, MP bots are totally different from the SP/MP NPCs.

yeah, i knew that you can do it to sp/mp npcs. i was just saying that i got it to work for mp bots like the sp/mp npcs for a short period of time whereas previously you can only dismember one limb for a bot or client.

Archived