Home

Monkey Island the Movie

daltysmilth

Some day, when I'm a famous film director, I will make a Monkey Island movie. It will be live action. My question is, who would you have play the different roles? Some of my thoughts are...

Kevin Spacey as Stan

Michael Palin as Herman Toothrot

Dominic Armato as Otis

Bruce Campbell as Captain Smirk

Keira Knightley as Elaine (Though I think I'd rather go with a less obvious choice.)

Do you agree with all of my choices? Any of my choices?

Who would you cast? Who should play Guybrush? Who should play LeChuck?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought of Michael Palin as Stan. See some of his early Monty Python stuff, playing an ecstatic TV Presenter. Him or Eric Idle, or John Cleese really.

Actually no, screw that - Bruce Campbell all the way!

Danny Delk obviously remains as Murray, though (when you get to him).

Whoopi Goldberg is pretty much the only choice for Voodoo Lady.

As for Mr. Brush, in his younger days I always thought of Sean Patrick Flanery (Young Indy). Now he's probably getting on too much.

That's the problem for him, all the actors that are currently the right age will be too old by the time the movie gets made!

Who was the other choice for Captain Barbossa instead of Mr. Rush in Pirates of the Caribbean? I know there was one - whoever it is, that's LeChuck. Maybe Alfred Molina (Doc Ock in Spidey 2).

Bet I get there before ya... I've already got the script.

As far as Keira Knightley goes, it could turn out that the most obvious choice would be the best choice. I mean, does anyone think she would do a bad job as Elaine? And I think the reason I thought of Michael Palin as Herman comes from his job as the "It's" man in Monty Python. That's sort of how I pictured Herman looking as a real character. If I were going to make this movie now instead of "some day", I'd probably cast Topher Grace as Guybrush. I just started thinking maybe Gary Oldman could be LeChuck. Or how about Robbie Coltrane? Of course, whoever played LeChuck would also have to play Fester Shinetop. (At least in my version, he would) So it might be wiser to pick a less high profile actor.

That way the audiences might not make the connection and say "Oh, so and so plays that LeChuck guy and all of a sudden he's playing this Shinetop guy. That must mean that LeChuck and Shinetop are the same person!" Then again, with good enough makeup, people might not recognize him anyway.

Guybrush... Hayden Christensen?

No! Stop hitting me! I take it back! Aargh!

(later, after recovering consciousness)

I think we should avoid using any of the main Pirates of the Caribbean cast, because that will strongly invite comparisons that are going to be made anyway. Don't encourage them.

Which is a pity, because Barbossa IS LeChuck.

Actually, thinking about it, you're a director, I'm a writer... we should team up.

Originally posted by LucasTones

You all suck.

Anyway, the clear choice for Guybrush is Christopher Kennedy Masterton - he plays Francis in Malcolm in the Middle.

Dude! I so didn't think of that. Although it depnds on how long it takes for production, he might be too old, but the kid who plays Dewey would be perfect.

And Keira Knightly? Really, she pouts too much, she was okay in pirates, I mean yeah, she stood up for herself at times and had a nice edge to her, but really, can you really see her as Elaine in SOMI. I mean Keira still needed Orlando and Johnny in order to stay alive whereas Elaine needed no one, she had everything under control from the start. Nope, can't see it.

How about the guy who plays eric in That 70's show as guybrush?

For me the perfect choice for Stan was always Robin Williams... I mean, c'mon... fast talking and crrrrAAAAzyyy... what more do you need? Plus, as seen in Hook, he looks great in a pirate outfit.

Which makes Dustin Hoffman the perfect choice for Shinetop... (but maybe not for LeChuck... not sure yet)

Then we'll have Halle Barry as Carla and Hank Azaria as Otis...

And I am just trying to imagine Zach Braff with blonde hair and a pony tail... mmh...

guyzach.jpg

Which of course automatically leads to John C. McGinley as Meathook...

uptownpre.jpg

Having just watched Van Helsing, Kevin J O'Connor (who plays Igor, and is Benny in The Mummy) would be my first choice for Otis.

EDIT: Hey! Just read mimovie.tk and they agreed! Woo! Pity their other choices (save Whoopi Goldberg) all suck salty balls. Bruce Willis as Captain Smirk? I may weep openly.

I considered Halle Berry as Carla, and thought she'd be great, but I don't think she'd take the role since it's not really major.

She's a star now.

I think Earl Boen could continue as LeChuck, really. Especially since he'll probably be computer-generated. Otherwise, Jerry Hardin just got my attention recently (best known as Deep Throat in The X-Files). I think he could do it.

Actually, no: John Rhys-Davies as LeChuck. He's tall, menacing, has a great gruff voice, is a brilliant actor, and looks great in a beard.

Robin Williams is too likeable to be Stan. You wouldn't want him to get thumped out to sea or locked in a coffin for six years.

Also looking at Van Helsing, Kate Beckinsale as Elaine. All the way.

As for Guybrush, Christopher Kennedy Masterton's just too cool for the role. Mr. Brush needs to be geeky.

Fred Savage?

There would have to be more action in a movie conversion, along the lines of POTC. My script begins with a sea battle, in which a young Guybrush (doing work experience) finds the ship he's on attacked by pirates, and realises how feared and cool they are.

And of course, "I wanna be a pirate" shows up just before the Main Credits start.

I'm trying to get Murray in early, too.

Originally posted by Laserschwert

For me the perfect choice for Stan was always Robin Williams... I mean, c'mon... fast talking and crrrrAAAAzyyy... what more do you need? Plus, as seen in Hook, he looks great in a pirate outfit.

Which makes Dustin Hoffman the perfect choice for Shinetop... (but maybe not for LeChuck... not sure yet)

Robin williams is a bit old to play a young salesman and plus, Stan wasn't a pirate, No, I still stand by Jim Carrey.

And it wouldn't matter if Hoffman was Shinetop and not LeChuck considering they couldn't (sorry, shouldn't) be played by the same actor for two reasons.

1)If they were, Elaine would recognise Shinetop as Lechuck and 2)LeChuck blatently gets out of shinetops skin when revealing himself, therefore shinetop is either a dead guy who's skin LeChuck stole (which would just be cool as a dark undertone) or LeChuck made it.

Oh, and Tingler, the people who made http://www.mimovie.tk are collectively known as one person, me. Just in case you wanted to know who was agreeing with you.

I like the site, by the way. It's just a few of your castings are just a little bit... optimistic, to say the least (Jim Carrey and Bruce Willis are just two).

Apart from Guybrush, LeChuck and Elaine, no A-List actor would touch characters as minor as Stan.

Whoopi Goldberg I think you could just about get away with.

As I think about it, I more and more consider John Rhys-Davies as LeChuck. As long as he put his voice somewhere between his normal English accent and Gimli's gruff voice.

I think Bruce Campbell you could also get away with as Stan. Probably a bit closer to the COMI version, but I still like that version. Jim Carrey's starting to get on my nerves (but not in a good, Stan-like way).

I don't really have anyone in mind for Herman, though.

What about Bob?

Please note, I am in no way expecting an MI movie to be taking place at any point in the near future. Yes, Bruce Willis and Jim Carrey are optomistic, but this is just for fun, I'm not really saying that they may be persuaded to do it if a movie was made. I just think they would be perfect for the role (well, maybe not Bruce Willis, but he'd be a good contender)

I still like Kevin Spacey as Stan. And as for a CGI LeChuck, well, I always think of CGI as cheating. There's no reason that LeChuck couldn't just be an actor with creepy, ghoulish makeup. At least in Secret of Monkey Island. And in LeChuck's Revenge. And maybe Keira Knightley specifically would be a bad choice. Maybe not. I'll just say her type of actor would be perfect for Elaine. And if, indeed, Murray is in the first film, no one other than Denny Delk could pull it off, I think. And I would definitely want Dominic Armato and Earl Boen in the movie somewhere, even if only as cameos. That's actually why I thought of Dom as Otis, so he could have a slightly major role. I still also think it would be cool to have the same actor play LeChuck and Shinetop. I think that if the actor playing LeChuck did a different enough voice for the characters and with the right makeup, people would be convinced that it was two different actors.

An MI movie has been kicking around in my head for ages, which i'm saving for when I become a famous film director. WE'LL SEE WHO GETS THERE FIRST.

Really, though, I think that Masterson would be great for guybrush. Also, the other day I watched The Rundown, and when I saw Seann William Scott in a beard I couldn't help but be reminded of Guybrush. Physically, he could get the role, but his acting/humor style is just too annoying and wrong for it I guess.

Also, Kevin J. O'Connor pretty much plays Otis in 'The Mummy.' And enough of this Bruce-Campbell-As-Stan nonsense, the man's much better for Captain Smirk instead. Picture him with an eyepatch, chomping a huge cigar. Perfect.

Vivica A. Fox as Carla (she was vernita green in Kill Bill, so that'd be way cool.)

JEAN RENO AS FESTER SHINETOP (just think of the character - of COURSE he's french.) If not him then Walken. Somebody else should play LeChuck, though (by that I mean somebody other than who'd play Fester.)

I'm a fan of Bruce Campbell, so I couldn't bear to let him go with such a small role.

As for him as Stan, it all depends, as far as I can see, on how much you liked the COMI version. I personally loved it.

Kevin J O'Connor could also be Bob, I think. I had a brilliant idea for a different Otis the other night... but I've forgotten! Dargh!

I like the Vivaca A. Fox and Jean Reno ideas. Not so sure about Sean William Scott though.

As I said before, Masterson's just too cool. We need someone weedy and geeky, but with the potential for swordfighting.

Tobey Maguire?

I'll shut up then.

I dont think we will see a Monkey Island Movie for a long time.

But while where just talking.

I think a MI movie should have "not so many famous actors" and instead focus on getting actors that fitt the character.

I mean Goldberg as the Voodoo Lady, PLEASE

Dont get me wrong shes a great actress but I think someone with a creol accent would be better.

Spiffy had a good idea though: Vivica A. Fox would be great as Carla

Goldberg the wrestler? Why, he's PERFECT for the Voodoo lady role ;)

Guybrush would have to be Ewan McGregor or maybe Sean Bean would be Bob.

If there will ever be M:I-2 the movie, Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith) should play Largo...

Archived