Home

Monkey Island the Movie

daltysmilth

I agree that Christopher Kennedy Masterson is not the right type of actor for Guybrush. He just doesn't have the right body type. Whoever plays Guybrush needs to look thin and wiry. By the way, I just thought of Bob Odenkirk (of Mr. Show With Bob and David) as Stan. He'd be great. I always thought of Stan as being a Robert Preston as Professor Harold Hill in the Music Man kind of character, and Bob Odenkirk always reminds me of Robert Preston, for some reason. Robin Williams as Stan just wouldn't work. He'd just turn it into a standard Robin Williams character. Then the movie would stop being about Guybrush and it would turn into a movie about Stan upsetting his superiors and triumphing over adversity by doing John Wayne impressions and making huge papier mache mock-ups of the female anatomy. And none of us wants that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought of a good example in a movie of an actor playing two different characters. Mary Poppins. In it, Dick Van Dyke plays both Burt and Mr. Dawes, Sr. Now, I didn't know that until about five years ago when my mom bought the movie, and even then I didn't realize it until I watched the credits. In fact, I wasn't even thinking about it until I saw it in the credits. I was taken completely by surprise. And I must have watched Mary Poppins hundreds of times at my Grandma's house when I was little. And trust me, I was the kind of kid who could normally pick up something like the same actor playing two different characters. What's my point, you ask? Well, in a movie that came out in 1964, they convinced me that two different characters were played by two different people when they were actually played by the same person. And all they did was stick a wig and a fake beard and glasses on Dick Van Dyke. Think of the advances that must have been made in prosthetic and special effects make-up since then! This leads me to conclude that LeChuck and Fester Shinetop could, indeed, be played by the same person, and no one would notice.

Jeez, I just rationalized a decision I've made about a movie that I'm probably not even going to make.

Originally posted by Purgatory 2000

I dont think we will see a Monkey Island Movie for a long time.

If I were to be blunt, I'd say we probably'll never see a Monkey Island movie. But I'm not wanting to crush all your dreams out there so pretend I never said that.

Any news on the Grim Fan... uh... Maniac Mansion Movie soundtrack?

Anyway, I'd actually think that Ron Perlman might not be too bad... but he just a bit TOO evil. LeChuck has to be occasionally stupid.

I'm interested in other LucasArts movie conversions now.

Actors for Day of the Tentacle?

Indiana Jones Fate, Machine, & Tomb (other characters, not Indy himself obviously)?

Conroy Bumpus?

The other Monkey Islands?

What about Lisa Kudrow as Laverne for example?

Tyler Labine (I remember him as 'Stoner' in a couple of X-Files episodes) as Hoagie?

Kenny Baker as Conroy Bumpus (c'mon, he'll be perfect)?

If they made a Maniac Mansion movie, how about the cast from the Maniac Mansion series? (Forget I said that)

I think Ron Perlman would be good as LeChuck.

Other Monkey Island movies, I'd say Warwick Davis would be the most obvious choice for Wally. Perhaps Brent Spiner as Captain Rottingham?

• 2 years later...

Look at me coming back from the dead! And bringing an old thread back with me! But I just thought of someone else I would add to my ideal MI movie cast:

B.J. Novak as Guybrush.

You might recognize him from the American version of the Office (Which I think is just as good, in its own way, as the British version, but that's neither here nor there.)

I realize his hair's the wrong color, but hair can be dyed, or he could wear a wig.

And just as a courtesy, I would invite cast members from the Monkey Island play to fill out some of the roles.

Lame:

Pirates of the caribbean movie, but with edited in a Guybrush head infront of the real actor's head all the time. And so there for makeing fun of the whole movie, and at the same time giving lam0rs like me some good fun. The sound of the Guybrush character should of course also be "real" CMI-type of voice to Guybrush. And not just only Guybrush. Do this with some other characters aswell. Haha, this idea is absurd! :)

Christopher Kennedy Masterson was such the best choice for Guybrush ever. He might still be able to do it now, who knows.

LeChuck needs to be a blokey piratey bloke. A little short, a bit heavy, the kind of guy you wouldn't want to mess with. Kind of like Ray Winstone, but not him. Bob Hoskins but nastier. Harvey Keitel but less intense. Someone like Robert Shaw in Jaws.

That guy from Thank You For Smoking could be Stan.

But what the hell am I doing commenting on this post again :~

Archived