Home

The Many Versions of Zak McKraken

Mr Flibble

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if Zak McKraken and The Alien MindBenders was ever released in a CD format.

I have browsed sites, including Google, MobyGames and the LucasArts Vintage Museum. But I have found these sites to be inaccurate for incomplete.

For example. Before the MI 1 + MI 2 compilation CD, I had no idea TSOMI was ever released on a CD. But it was. Its on eBay somewhere.

O I thought maybe Zak would be the same....perhaps.

Zak McKracken was indeed released on a CD with 256-color art (as opposed to the usual 16) and CD audio.

The catch is...this version was only released for the obscure "FM Towns" computer system in Japan.

If you want the real, boxed version of FM Towns Zak, you'll have to look at the site called Yahoo! Japan auctions. Be warned: those auctions are only in Japanese, and you'll need a friend in Japan who is willing to receive the game and then send it to you, as transactions are inside Japan only.

If you want it to download, you can probably find it at several places on the Internet (but I won't say where).

If you want to download the CD audio, visit Soundfont Island at Mixnmojo.com for the music tracks.

If you want to see all the neat stuff that came in the original FM Towns box, visit Zak McKracken at the LucasArts Museum.

Loom was also released in two different CD versions. One, the one found in most of the world, drastically reduced the amount of beautiful music and trimmed the long conversations (both found in the 16-color disk version) in order to accommodate voice acting.

The other CD version, also for FM Towns in Japan, has much longer CD music and the original long dialogues, both from the disk version, but it has no voice acting.

Both CD versions are in 256 colors.

You can find the Loom FM Towns box also located in the LucasArts museum.

Edit: Download a screenshots archive from Zak McKracken FM Towns here!

Download a screenshots archive from Loom FM Towns here!

Originally posted by Mr Flibble

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if Zak McKraken and The Alien MindBenders was ever released in a CD format.

I have browsed sites, including Google, MobyGames and the LucasArts Vintage Museum. But I have found these sites to be inaccurate for incomplete.

For example. Before the MI 1 + MI 2 compilation CD, I had no idea TSOMI was ever released on a CD. But it was. Its on eBay somewhere.

O I thought maybe Zak would be the same....perhaps.

What do you mean "inaccurate"? The Secret of Monkey Island Cdrom is shown on my website. There is a boxed version, which I have, and there is an OEM version. The only official release of Zak on CD is the FM Towns as listed above. This is also detailed in the Museum as I also own it. There are odd German releases of Zak on Cdrom but they do not date from the time when Zak was first released.

I was just wondering , because my A drive doesn't / has never worked.

I'll just have to buy the floppy version. I have a way to get around my problem;)

I know about the downloadable Zak. But uts the C64 version. I'm really after the hi res DOS version.

( I've asked this before, but...)

Does anyone have a copy? I live in the UK, and I'm having real difficulties getting one on ebay. The classic adventure pack shows up now and again, but I don't really want to have to pay for 5 games, of which I already own 4.

You will only get yourself banned by asking for copies of software here.

The KIXX version of Zak McKracken may very well contain the enhanced version. I haven't verified that (mine is Amiga :/) but it does pop up now and then on eBay.uk and doesn't sell for more that £5.

Also I think I paid maybe £5 for the UK version of the Classic Adventures on http://www.ebay.uk, the version in this auction.

Woah, I'm not asking for copied software!

I was asking if anyone was selling it so I could buy it instead of it going on eBay.

I have seen it on eBay, but only as the Classic Adventure Pack.

Was it even released on its own in the UK? (PC version obviously)

Originally posted by Mr Flibble

Woah, I'm not asking for copied software!

I was asking if anyone was selling it so I could buy it instead of it going on eBay.

I have seen it on eBay, but only as the Classic Adventure Pack.

Was it even released on its own in the UK? (PC version obviously)

Hehe.. Well, you might try to get it from any chinese who owns it, but you must probably put in a lot of money in it, if he agree to sell it. I think you can get it cheaper from eBay.

• 3 months later...

I got a couple of emails yesterday from Jen Sward, the producer/scripter/lead for the FM Towns conversion.

For more details about the CD version, visit http://zak-site.com

Mixnmojo rules forbid me from saying where you can get a copy, but my main Zak site has details of all the different versions, fan sequels, etc. http://zak-site.com

If I can be forgiven an unashamed plug, at last month's Assembly bash in Helsinki, David Fox said my Zak site was his favorite. Gloat, gloat, gloat... :)

PS does anyone have an archived copy of Mojo's old Mindbent site? It had some great stuff, but seems to have gone forever.

You can use my pictures if you want, since ktjdragon didn't respond. He has never responded to me but he will contribute information on how own time though.

Originally posted by tolworthy

I got a couple of emails yesterday from Jen Sward, the producer/scripter/lead for the FM Towns conversion.

For more details about the CD version, visit http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tolworthy/zak/zak256.htm

Mixnmojo rules forbid me from saying where you can get a copy, but my main Zak site has details of all the different versions, fan sequels, etc. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tolworthy/zak

If I can be forgiven an unashamed plug, at last month's Assembly bash in Helsinki, David Fox said my Zak site was his favorite. Gloat, gloat, gloat... :)

PS does anyone have an archived copy of Mojo's old Mindbent site? It had some great stuff, but seems to have gone forever.

Originally posted by freddie

You can use my pictures if you want

Thanks - much appreciated!

Originally posted by LucasTones

Jake might even put you on mojo, if you catch him around sometime

Thanks for the vote of support. I've PM-ed him, and will see what happens.

Archived