Home

This place is dead; riveting conversation inside

Ok, so I was listening to Stairyway to Heaven....then I listened to You Never Give Me Your Money by the Beatles.....and I discovered that they are, in fact, the same exact song.

Well, ok, some of the chords are different, but it starts out with the song's title with a laid back tempo, then gets faster, you can even hear the one riff the Beatles made up that starts when they sing "came true........today" and reoccurs in Carry That Weight at the end. Then they both get really fast (well, ok, YNGMYM has been fast for a while) and end kind of soft. Also, they're both longer than the average songs they put out....YNGMYM is a little over 4 mins long, and Stairway is 8 mins.....shut up.....

Music tempo changes is nothing new, Queen also did it with Bohemian Rhapsody, it is slow then gets faster. So that argument is invalid.

As far as the same riff, well sometimes two people's songs have similar parts to each other. Maybe one did copy from the other, but it is likely that it was completely unintentional.

I can see how the songs can be similar, but not the same song. :)

Now, Vanilla Ice blatanly stealing the riff from Queen's Under Pressure and claiming that because he changed 1 note that it was original, THAT pissed me off. :mad:

:D :D

It was more of a joke just to get people posting. ;)

If you really want to talk about stealing other people's music, I suggest we discuss that Kelly Clarkson song Miss Independent and how THAT song blatantly ripped off.....uhh..that song....I can't remember the name, but it sounded like it was an 80's song.....grr....but the part where she sings "what happened to Miss Independent" is EXACTLY the same as the song I'm thinking of.

Or I could just say "Will Smith". :D

We also must address the practice of "Sampling" that rappers seem to love doing. It seems that all you need to do to be a decent rapper is come up with some interesting rhymes and have someone else's song playing in the background, possibly modifying it so it is harder to pick out. But I cannot get too mad at these artists as they at least give credit to the original artists.

Now, Millie Vanilli.... :explode:

yeah...sampling...it just seems weird stealing "Dream On" or "Kashmir" and then rapping over it...*shrug*

I'm not really a rap hater either...I'm down with that manure...feer shiggle my nipple bay-bee...You can just call me White Chocolate...

*takes off shirt to look like a rapper, whiteness blinds all within a 4 mile radius*

Y'all come back now. Ya'hear? :laugh6:

Wow, these boards have seemed a little dead in the past month or so. I don't know what it is, but speaking of music... I discovered Led Zeppelin about 2 weeks ago, and now am the proud owner and lover of both The Early Days and The Latter Days.

I like Early better than Latter, but are their any songs missing off of both of them that you Led fans would consider die-hard Led material that I need to listen to? On that CD I can't decide between "When The Levee Breaks" and "Dazed and Confused" for my favorite song. "Kashmir" is definately my fave on LAtter Days. I notice that several of their songs have a heavy blues influence, and I think that is what draws me to them. They have sort of a heavy metal blues twang, especially with the distorted harmonica in Levee! :D

Anyways, Early Days has been gracing my car since I got it (the car) and on that note... Ferg, I still owe you a ride.

Someone keep the conversation going! About anything! Please! :(

Originally posted by Artoo

Wow, these boards have seemed a little dead in the past month or so. I don't know what it is, but speaking of music... I discovered Led Zeppelin about 2 weeks ago, and now am the proud owner and lover of both The Early Days and The Latter Days.

OMG, that's exactly what happened to me and how this discussion came about! :eek:

I still haven't listened to The Latter Days.

After not posting for weeks here, I come back and see that other people shared the same feeling about the board these days as I do: It's dead. So I go into this thread, expecting a "riveting conversation inside", and I do get one. The problem is, it seems to require a knowledge of contemporary music that is as large and far-reaching as Quentin Tarantino's cinema lore :D

I'm afraid I'm barely familiar with only a small fraction of the songs and artists named here. The amount of information that you guys hold about this subject is staggering!

We do what we can, Sher

I'd also like to note that the use of the electric xylophone has not been as widely accepted as I think it should. It produces a very unique sound that is nothing like a regular xylophone.

note: most of what I've said here is complete bullpoopie. :D

The problem is, it seems to require a knowledge of contemporary music that is as large and far-reaching as Quentin Tarantino's cinema lore

contemporary?

Led Zeppelin is like 70s and 80s...but okay. :)

Yep, Homer...I did the same...I'd heard they were a good band...picked up both CDs...then eventually bought most of their CDs...including a few solo affairs. I heart Jimmy Page...

LOL, Homer, if you had picked any electric instrument but a keyed instrument I would've bought your bullpoopie, but you picked the xylophone, which when struck would produce something to the same effect an electric keyboard does. Now the electric violin.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I need to listen to some Bond more and hear their super-awesome electric string quartet. They look like an awesome group that I've never gotten to hear.

Anyways, to 'contemporary' music. Which band should I explore first and why? I'm tempted to pursue both ACDC and Metallica, bt I am unsure as where to go first. ACDC doesn't have a greatest hits or I would've bought some of their stuff already. I lurve some of their riffs such as Thunderstruck and Back in Black. Yet, Metallica also has a tempting pull with its musicality in the metal.

Now those electric clarinets, those are the instruments I can dig... :cool:

Originally posted by darthfergie

contemporary?

Led Zeppelin is like 70s and 80s...but okay. :)

Yep, Homer...I did the same...I'd heard they were a good band...picked up both CDs...then eventually bought most of their CDs...including a few solo affairs. I heart Jimmy Page...

Something not contemporary: baroque, classical. Widen your perspective ;)

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Something not contemporary: baroque, classical. Widen your perspective ;)

yeesh...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too contemporary...

Personally I think the only think that can be considered "non-contemporary" isn't classical or baroque...those styles are still being expanded upon even today...no...I consider the only REAL musical artform that is "non-contemporary" is...silence...it's an artform...music to the ears really. ;)

Originally posted by Artoo

Anyways, to 'contemporary' music. Which band should I explore first and why? I'm tempted to pursue both ACDC and Metallica, bt I am unsure as where to go first. ACDC doesn't have a greatest hits or I would've bought some of their stuff already. I lurve some of their riffs such as Thunderstruck and Back in Black. Yet, Metallica also has a tempting pull with its musicality in the metal.

I would say AC/DC, simply because they are a predecessor of Metallica. Also, look for the "LIVE" album from them. It is a recording from a concert & the closest thing to a greatest hits you will find. Only Bonn Scott does not appear anywhere, as the concert was after his death.

If you really must pick up some Metallica, start with the Black Album. It is widely considered their best stuff to date. Then take a listen to their earlier stuff (Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All) and their later stuff (Load, Reload, 2 after that are covers & redos with orchestra, & St. Anger). Personally, I like pretty much all their stuff from Lightning up to Reload.

hmmm...AC/DC or Metallica...I dunno...I like both...but I guess I like Metallica a little bit more...both bands are really hit or miss on songs...They'll put out one song that is legendary, and then the next track on the album is one of those ones that make you cringe. I can't think of that many Led Zeppelin songs that I don't like tho...I love 'em.

Archived