Home

Hoth! Tauntauns?

Ewok Homie

Okay, hoth is a cold desolate place with echo base. Im wondering how in the world are we gonna survive on tauntans while being fired at from the huge At-Ats. I know there will be trenches so in my mind the only way to survive would be in the trench with one of them tauntans. Your thoughts?

there is no way to escape the imp rox. the only way to escape it not to attack the at-ats. all you got to do it hop into a snowspeeder and hope that you dont get hit be a at-st and at-at. the tauntauns are for attacking the ground troops and a quick escape GO IMPS:atat: :atat: :atat: :atat:

Just to let you know...it's Tauntaun. :cool:

And as for the question...well, I admit I'm concerned about Tauntauns. As I stated in another thread, they're not exactly the fastest mode of transport, and they have no armour. So they could potentially be quite vulnerable to attack.

I tend to agree they will be used for quick strikes against enemy ground troops, and won't be able to stand up to attacks from heavy blaster fire from AT-ATs or other vehicles.

well since we've all seen the movie we can reformulate an attack which could counter the original IMP assault. Namely, don't fly straight into them, attack from the flanks, make better use of the snow trenches and attempt to separate the AT-ATs from one another and their supporting infantry.

See that's the fun of recreating battles, if you know the outcome then you can alter your defenses ahead of time. Then over time it becomes a battle of conditioned learning.

Probably unlikely, but could be a fun scenario:

Several At-Ats are taken down by snowspedders. The troopers inside of the At-Ats come out, and see a wave of Tauntaun riding Rebels charging them LOTR style.

That would be pretty fun, and possibly a good tactic.

I don't see how a tauntaun could be in good toward fighting at-st and at-at walkers unless they use some other weapon than a pistol. Galactic Battlegrounds had the creatures and the troops carried flamethrowers. I think it is fictional that a flamethrower would work well in a cold snowy environment.

Originally posted by joesdomain

I don't see how a tauntaun could be in good toward fighting at-st and at-at walkers unless they use some other weapon than a pistol. Galactic Battlegrounds had the creatures and the troops carried flamethrowers. I think it is fictional that a flamethrower would work well in a cold snowy environment.

Well, you could melt the ice in the path of an AT-AT if you had a flamethrower. :D Although, you'd probably be better off with a thermal charge...

It would be good to see an AT-AT sink into mushy ice...and then see it refreeze. :cool:

For certain the devs are going to do some sort of counter balance as in the film the rebels never stood a chance.

The Tauntaun will probably be able to run a little faster than usually for looking out functions or as mentioned escape. The fact that they are more or less white will probably be turned into some sort of advantage.

Those guns emplacements will probably be given more bite as in the film they were out of date machinery, useless and made you an easy target if they an AT-AT shot it. So the armour round those will be a little stronger.

The AT-AT's armour will be weakened as well as the firepower. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they could be used to avoid battles completely and hit the back door of any Imperial base. That way you could infiltrate the base (especially if you're a bothan spy) and trade in your tauntaun for your very own AT-AT:D

Tauntauns are more of a patrol/scout kind of creature. I'm not sure how smart it would be to ride into combat on one.

Yeah. In ESB, they were used for scouting, and only until the airspeeders were configured for the snow. In SWBF I guess they will be used to quickly transport individual troops to varioud battlefield locations.

Well, tauntauns are small, and camouflaged in the snow. They may be weak, but if a small goup of rebel saboteurs could get close to an AT-AT without getting shot, they could do some serious damage. And it perfectly fits the rebel fighting style: Sneaky and almost invisible, until they strike.

Since there are only so many vehicles per level, and the only ones we know are going to be there are snowspeeders, AT-ATs, and AT-STs, the Tauntauns are most likely just things that are used kinda like speeder bikes. That way you round out the vehicles, with the tauntauns acting as a fast way of traveling on the ground.

And besides, it's Hoth! You can't have Hoth without tauntauns! No matter what game you play, if you go to Hoth, there are tauntauns there. There may even be wampas there that just attack everybody.

The way Star Wars games have been going, I practically expect Mynocks to be "ride-able" in a map set in the Hoth asteroid field:rolleyes:.

Tauntaunts on a battle field? Look, that's like seeing a movie from Canada where the Forest Rangers ride on horses and then watching Saving Private Ryan and wondering where the H*** the Canadian horse-riders are! "Canadians ride horses when scouting, thus they ride horses in battle!" Give me a break. The Ewok Homie said it better than I could. As for probots taking part in the battle: No again. Probots wouldn't stand a chance.

Thrawn, what on Earth are you talking about? "Imperial base"? There was no Imperial base on Hoth. The walker division and all the troops were dropped from space. And the imperials wouldn't let to "trade in a tauntaun for an AT-AT": AT-ATs have a crew of 4 (at least) and fit more than half a dozen troops. Sure, go ahead and take it, James Bond:D! Like Canadian riders could've sneaked past the German MG42's, mortars, bunkers, pillboxes, trenches, and about 100 000 troops and "trade in their throughbreeds for a German Tiger Tank:p.

Havoc, I don't recall any of those things happening in the battle of Hoth. And the speeders did fly "straight at the walkers".

As for Rogue Squadron III: The game is fun, but totally unrealistic. It contradicts the movies and even itself (Y-Wings can blast through Star Destroyers' armour but they can't harm AT-ATs?!). What were those tauntauns doing way out in the battle field anyway (though I guess the real question is "why the H*** did that whole imperial army just walk past them without doing anything:rolleyes:?). And in Rogue Squadron III, you could take a hundred shots and survive. Do you think anyone would've survived running through that mass of snowtroopers and armoured assault and support vehicles and survived?

DashRendar is probably right, though. Tauntauns were in the movie, so they have to be in the battle, just like you can't have a scenario where Norwegian freedom fighters attack a German installation without putting Vikings with battle axes in there. Same for the German tanks, that are only vulnerable to sticky bombs and nothing else (see Saving Private Ryan). So yeah, they'll probably be in the game:(.

As a side note, quit over-generalizing Star Wars. On the Galactic Conquest forums, there's this guy who says he wants rebels to wear stormtrooper armour because "in the movies the rebels had imperial uniforms they could sneak around in":rolleyes: . Look, Han and Luke disguising in Stormtrooper armours (not uniforms:p) was an improvised tactic (as much as the sticky bombs in Saving Private Ryan). The same goes for Endor: "The Ewoks saved the day!" The little teddy bears got their sorry butts kicked. All they did was destroy two walkers and conduct surpressing fire (rocks may knock a stormtrooper over, but it can't kill someone wearing a helmet. And the armour would deflect arrows. So no, the Ewoks didn't save the day on Endor; Han Solo and Chewbacca did by hijacking that AT-ST and using its radio (or whatever they call them in Star Wars) to send a false call for reinforcements to get the imperials to open the back door of that bunker. If that hadn't happened, the rebels would have lost (and I repeat, that was not an Ewok action. Han and Chewie aren't ewoks). They could kill every imperial in the forest and still would not have been able to open the bunker (what were they supposed to do, throw logs and rocks at them?!). And either way, that AT-AT the Imperials had at least one of (and seeing how the shield generator was such a high-profile target, I bet they had a division of at least 3 walkers) at the base. How long do you figure it would have taken it to reach the far side of the Imperial base and start blasting teddy bears and rebel blaster-wielding commandoes apart (funny how everyone tend to forget it)?

So no, no tauntauns on Hoth. And no, those big white snow gorrilas of yours shouldn't be in either: There was no sign of them during the battle, like there were no polar bears in the battle for Stalingrad, wild French animals running around on the French Normandy beaches, or

Tauntaunts are in "every game you play". Well, you're pretty right at that. I was hoping Battlefront would be more realistic, though...

Finally: There are other ways to balance the battle of Hoth than to make the imperials weaker. The objective could be to take the base before a certain time passes (most accurate), to win without losing so and so many units, and so on and so fourth.

Eagle

They should be in hoth. They wouldn't/shouldn't be used as a steed of war, but it would be an easier way to get around. it'd be a scout, like you said the Canadian horses were. I'd much rather ride a horse to a battle ten miles away then walk there. It'd take too much time and I'd be tired when i got there. Tauntauns are about as much an improvised tactic as snowspeeders or turret guns are.

eagle, you keep comparing starwars to battles in the real world. I don't suppose the americans used tow cables against german panzers? It's starwars, it's unreal. If the rebels want to ride tauntauns into battle, they can. if there are tauntauns on the map, isn't it up to the player to decide to use them as scouts or go on a 'mission impossible'?

Archived