Home

Brainstorming: Combat animations

The more I look at it, the more I feel that the locks are probably just going to be a sinkhole of effort. While a lot of this stuff would be cool, is it really worth all that effort for the 5 secs that the locks occur in?

Well, if you want to make these fancy scripted locks 'gameplay' features, then yes, you are talking about some significant work.

However, I'm thinking about these only as visual additions. Pure, unadulterated eye candy. Nothing more, nothing less. Each player at the end of the scripted lock would end back up in 'neutral' stances and neither having lost any HP's during.

When you look at it that way, it shouldn't be that much work. You basically trigger them in the same way that saber locks get triggered, although you'd have to do a few extra checks for space behind etc. (in the specific example keshire posted at the top of the thread..)

I am possibly thinking about scripted locks that have a bearing on the gameplay (scripted locks where one duelist is in a stronger position than the other - in MB determined by BP level for example) but even in this case I was planning on keeping it pretty simple... still a pre-determined scripted lock, but one where one player is 'punished' in a pre-defined manner.

..in my view of this, all the really hard work is K's tbh ;)

Secondly, while locks occur, you're losing a good amount of gameplay control, so is it really worth it?

As K mentioned, the one he's posted would be - I imagine - the longest I'd ever want in-game. Most of them I would imagine being around a second or so. (depending on how many Keshire can do before he loses his mind! lol)

And I would make the frequency of played scripted locks relational to how long it is. So longer ones get played less often...

This not only keeps gameplay disruption to a minimum, but also keeps these events 'fresh'. If their happenning every couple of seconds, people will very quickly get bored of them...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to have any sort of fancy locking stuff, it's going to result in some level of suiciding.

To use Keshire's example at the top of this thread - as long as you did basic level ground checks to the appropaite distance behind each player, so that your sure they can walk back the specified distance without falling off ledges or down pits etc., how is it that you see suicides happenning? I don't follow...

well there was a JK2 mod that allowed a triple lock (three people at once) it usually occered when one player tried to interfere a lock, mabe that could be used to stop from players to get an advantage over two saber lockers. but I'm not sure what happenes if a fourth saberist tries to interfere. another thing I was thinking of that I saw in ETM (sorry guys) when you countered or the enemy countered an attack then the fighters played a fancy animation that can't be seen normally. mabe the scripted lock can be a counter thing?

mabe the scripted lock can be a counter thing?

We're far ahead of you.

Thats what this thread was originally intended for. Suggestions on what type of attacks to use for certain situations.

The scenarios's go as follows

*Insterting melee attacks in the saber attack chain

*scripted locks

*and Counter attacks

yea! that would make JA playable again :p, also I made this suggestion before but I would really love to see this happen, so here goes.......a comba lock on system! the one like in legende of zelda or ETM (again, I love this game) that would seriously make the duels look like the movies! :D

two hands up for combat lock on!!! *thinks back to old days of serverances blades of darkness and shivers* just another suggestion, maybe all of the saber combat system (saberlock, blocking, counter etc) and all special moves can only be trigger when you have a lock on to an opponent, abit like Zelda, while without lock pn, you'll only get the usual directional moves. of thats if your planning on having lock ons in the first place.....

• 3 weeks later...

keshire can you do me a big favor (not needed btw but it will be a plus) can you make 8 seperate dual animations, each where they are doing the normal 8 attacks (7 actually) but only the main saber is in use, for example in the right attack the attacking saber is in the left hand, i just want the left hand to move, it is part of a saber control method i had, no biggie but if you dont mind. All you gotta do is remove the offhand's attack animation.

I admit that I am iggnorant on the subject, however razor, it doesnt seem to me (forgive me if im wrong :rolleyes: ) that taking out the non dominant attacking arm of 7 animations is a lot of work. He doesnt have to redo anything or make anything, only take out the non dominant arm.

You can't just go in and delete the keys to those attacks. Well you can but that would require a lot of work to reposition the arm in a reasonable manner. THEN you have to go in and make anims for the second arm. And that is where you run into problems. Your basically making a second saber style.

Ok you all. You have to realize this is my hobby. I have neither the free time or the skill to do anything spectacular. What I have planned is as far as I'm willing to go. Once I go past that it becomes a "job". And both loses its appeal and fun.

Which brings me to my next point. I'm not about to do any of this to make anybody happy but myself. OJP doesn't have a "team" of sorts. Its just like minded people donating work. Its just Me, RazorAce, and Renegade all happen to agree on a lot of issues.

And if I do decide to make a new saber style it will be on my terms.

Also this thread is vearing off its original topic.

I need ideas and references for suitable melee/saber attacks that mesh with the current ones.

Archived