Home

Introducing Star Wars...

Sabretooth

How should your friend watch the saga?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How should your friend watch the saga?

• Original Trilogy First
    • Prequels First

Suppose that you have a friend who is eager to know the Star Wars saga. You have the entire Star Wars Trilogy, plus the prequels on DVD. So what way would you show him the movies? The OT first, to show the technology enhancement through the ages and so that when you show him the prequels, his doubts and questions will be cleared. Or with the Prequels first, to show the saga as it was, from start to finish, but devoid of surprises and the old-time feeling.

I would go for OT first.

Originally posted by iceman87

I voted for the OT, I like them more then i ever will the NT

Amen! This new stuff doesn't even compare to the Original Trilogy. I liked episode I, but Episode II had too much pathetic dialogue. The action sequences were pretty good, but I say you can't beat the end duel/space battle in Return of the Jedi.

I made my friend watch OT first, mainly because parts of the origonal films seem a bit naf when compared to the FX in the prequals, it is also the order they were made.

BTW:NEone know what has happend to my sig pic? it should be a lightsaber duel gif.

just because thats the order we saw them in doesnt mean that it is best..... Im assuming, Obi13 that this person is doing this prior to epIII.... therefore, show him just I and II. and next year he'll see 3, and can watch 4, 5, and 6 on DVD. Everyone knows that the originals were decades ago....so its not a huge thing to see the difference...... plus, the SEs dont hold up too bad. I think it would be cool, starting off knowing Ani as a little boy, seeing him go bad and become Vader and then be redeemed by the end of it all.... rather than the way we did it :

1977 : SW IV : "This movie is great . Vader is a robot right ? No he's not you can see his eyes through the helmet"

1980 : SW V : "This movie is fantastic! Vaders got a big swollen head, and he's luke's father !"

1984 : SW VI : "This movie is cool. Vader is a sad old man after all. At least he is happy in death"

* allow for us to all grow up and mature in our tastes *

SW I : "Boo. Jar Jar sux ! GL is losin it ! whinge whinge winge ! Oh and that little kid is anakin ! pfft !"

SW II : "meh. This is better than EpI, but not as good as the OT, which we all saw through the eyes of a child and were drawn to much more..... so nothing will ever be better than the OT for us.... ramble ramble ramble"

SW III : "This better be good. It better be exactly like ESB, but with a huge space battle and dogfight bigger than ROTJ and ANH combined. Although I cant stop whinin, Im still gonna dress up like a geek and line up for the premiere" :p

gotta admit, SW fans drive me nuts sometimes.....whine more than JA MP ppl..... :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

gotta admit, SW fans drive me nuts sometimes.....whine more than JA MP ppl.....

And yet here you are whining about how we whine......Ironic much?

:p

OT first for sure. If you see the PT first then the big surprises and WOAH's of the OT would be lost, and that would be a sad sad thing.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Im assuming, Obi13 that this person is doing this prior to epIII....

That doesn't change the fact that AotC had stupid diologue, and the only thing that kept it alive was Ewen, Chistopher Lee, and the war scenes.

And to be fair, I watched the OT only two or three years before The Phantom Menace came out, so there was not a great deal of "maturing" going on in that time period.

Original Triolgy still owns the prequals. It always will, even though the prequals have Jackson, McGregor, and Lee......

Besides, as Z said, the guy probably already knows Vader is Luke's father.

Originally posted by obi-wan13

That doesn't change the fact that AotC had stupid diologue, and the only thing that kept it alive was Ewen, Chistopher Lee, and the war scenes.

And to be fair, I watched the OT only two or three years before The Phantom Menace came out, so there was not a great deal of "maturing" going on in that time period.

Original Triolgy still owns the prequals. It always will, even though the prequals have Jackson, McGregor, and Lee......

Besides, as Z said, the guy probably already knows Vader is Luke's father.

Yeh, I was in the same age area for when i saw both movies, but I still think OT is better.

EDIT - Do you really have a friend.... or is this just a question in general?

Maybe you should ask him the order he wants to see them in. :p

I would say that the Original Trilogy should be seen first. It explains some essential things about Star Wars that the prequel trilogy just doesn't cover, such as...

What is the Force?

How does the Force work?

How is the Dark side different from the Light side? How does one fall to the Dark side?

What happens to a ship in hyperspace? (keep in mind that no ships are seen going through the "hyperspace tunnel" in the prequels as of yet)

Why do the prequels focus so much on Yoda and Senator Palpatine?

What's so important about this Jango Fett character and his son?

Why is this whiny, immature, nauseating pretty-boy Jedi (Anakin) given all this attention?:p

Okay, that last part was a bit of an exaggeration. I was just a bit put off by Anakin's performance in Episode II.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Why is this whiny, immature, nauseating pretty-boy Jedi (Anakin) given all this attention?:p

Okay, that last part was a bit of an exaggeration. I was just a bit put off by Anakin's performance in Episode II.

that's true, he was such a p***k in Ep II :( and he got padme too which sucks major a*s :(

I'm supposing that this friend doesn't knowa thing about Star Wars. All he knows is that Star Wars is a big, great brand which is cool and has many fans. He also wants to become a fan but he knows nothing else.

Secondly, the time setting is after Episode III has released.

Yeah, but even my friend who refused to watch Star Wars on the grounds that it was like star trek knew that Vader was Lukes dad, I made him watch them back along when ITV put them on TV, he changed his mind about them and even went to see EII of his own free will.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

And yet here you are whining about how we whine......Ironic much?

nothing ironic about it.... I was perfectly aware I was whining :D

It just irks me that ppl expect the same of Lucas 20 years on, he's old ! You cant expect the old bugger to be thinking exactly the same way he did when he was in his damn 30s..... dont even bother comparing it to Jacksons adaptation of LOTR, as that was essentially 'one long shoot' that resulted in three movies...

Obi, are you telling us you hadnt watched SW until the late 90's...despite your ripe age.....

*draws pistol, clocks the hammer, aims*

n00b !

mtfbwya

*runs out of thread, due to too many parallels with force.net "whine about how the OT is better" threads*

Hmm... Difficult...

IV - V - VI - I - II - III - IV - V - VI :D

As one genious said before me, what does the OT explain:

What is the Force?

How does the Force work?

How is the Dark side different from the Light side? How does one fall to the Dark side?

What happens to a ship in hyperspace? (keep in mind that no ships are seen going through the "hyperspace tunnel" in the prequels as of yet)

Why do the prequels focus so much on Yoda and Senator Palpatine?

What's so important about this Jango Fett character and his son?

I personally would love to be able to watch them from I to VI without ever having seen them before ....

*steals the time machine from the "would you kill Hitler" thread, goes back to 1980 and tries to make sure he never saw ANH...*

but if i hadnt seen SW, then maybe I wouldnt be *here*, aww my head hurts !

mtfbwya

Archived