Home

Mixnmojo pushed out of the way for Idle Thumbs?

Brushguy

I just saw the new Idle Thumbs website, advertised on Mojo's main page. I went there thinking that it would be fun to browse around and hang out at, like Mojo, but in truth, it looks like IGN with a makeover to me, with lots more cussing.

The worst part is that the news on Mojo's main page says that there won't be many updates for this site in the future. I would hate to see the Mojo community dissolve and break up, but that's what it looks like right now. :(

Doesn't seem like a problem to me. Mojo is hardly updated as it is due to the total lack of interesting LucasArts news ever - so I doubt there'll be any trouble keeping up with the occasional happening like they are now.

You can't expect them all to focus all of their efforts on just one site forever. They've been doing this for years now - anybody in their right mind would have gone crazy by now.

The people that are loyal to this community (and that's about all the people you get around here) almost certainly won't be going anywhere, and then there's all of the hosted communities like the Monkey Island Discussion forums and the Grim Fandango Network locale.

In fact, you should go give the latter of those attention. Now.

Idle thumbs id very different from IGN ¬_¬

That said, what annoyed you about it/ I'm going to be working to improve the main page some in the next couple of days, but it seems a lot more like Mojo or adventuregamers to me than it does like IGN... Okay and you're right about the cussing.

Anyway, sadly, as much as I'd like to say that Mojo has been neglected as of late due to Idle Thumbs or something, sadly that's not the case. As Thrik said, there just hasn't been much news to report so we haven't been reporting it. It looks like that's how it'll be for the forseeable future.

I'll still be posting news here every now and then, and running samandmax.net. Mojo's main page hasn't been the central attraction for most of the regulars for a long time anyway. Everyone centers around the forums, or the IRC channels, or the hosted sites like The Scumm Bar. When big, or interesting stories break either from LucasArts or the fan community, Mojo will still be around to write about them.

This "idle thumbs" website is making me realize terrible things about you Jake. Like that your British, and you like Halo. I mean Jesus, did it have to be both?!

No I'm just kidding it looks quite good, but one thing you should remember, despite being fun, cursing really does make a site seem unproffesional and almost unpassionate about what it does. I mean, are you going to walk up to your mom and unload an expletive-laiden greeting when you see her? We, the fans, Jake, are like your mother. Treat us with some respect damn it!

:p

Anyway, make one of your retrospectives about Marathon since its basically just Halo, released 10 years ago, but still better by a mile.

Originally posted by LucasTones

I'd only seen the placeholder image before today.. and I wasn't expecting anything as good as this. Wow! It looks great, I've added it to my favourites.

I agree, although the main page is really _too much_, it has way too much info on one page, too much diffrent sections and links making it seem to "busy".

The overal content is nice, i like the cussing btw, anyway with some adjustments and some usability it will be great.

Originally posted by Thrik

anybody in their right mind would have gone crazy by now.

Isn't that a sort of catch 22? I mean, for them to not be in their right mind, they would have to be crazy, and therefore would, what, get more crazy because they weren't in their right minds?

*Cough*

I think too much

But yeah, great site, needs some work, but you guys know that and I;m sure you're working on it. But I like it.

Mojo wont die any more than it already has.

Calm down about the swearing, we will create a swear filter for americans to use maybe later. ¬

We would love you to read our new site, and also continue to hang around mojo. Sadly I'm bored of it and must move on, also i can no longer pretend to be a lucasarts fan :(

please dont be frightened and also please dont be offended. Just as mojo loves you, Idle Thumbs adores you.

You guys should at least bring back your original content from before the crash(es). If it still exists. Please tell me it still exists! IT STILL EXISTS DOESN'T IT!?

Man, I loved those features, reviews and stuff.

--Erwin

Now that I look at it again, it looks a lot better than my first impression. I was just put out by all the swearing on the main page. Idle Thumbs looks more promising than it did the first time I looked. Please tone down your mouths though.

I understand that Mojo is slowly dying, since Lucasarts is kind of boring now, and there's not much to talk about, unless it's Star Wars... Why don't you put Mojo's hosted sites and other stuff on Idle Thumbs? That way you could scrap Mojo but nobody would care because everything would be at Idle Thumbs.

Anyway, sorry about what I said yesterday. I was having a bad day, and I'm glad Idle Thumbs isn't going to become another IGN. I was just afraid that it was. :)

Swearing is OK by me. I don't want it for its own sake, though. You should not limit yourselves by adhering to that hypocritical American bullshit. Fuck is part of the language.

> also i can no longer pretend to be a lucasarts fan

Then you should be a little more drastic and do some of the things suggested after the Sam & Max debacle. Voice out that you're a fan no longer.

Originally posted by BooJaka

Swearing doesn't neccersarily mean it's unprofessional, just more personal. I like it.

Unfortunately it prevents me from visiting such a wonderful website cause of the stupid filters that the school and the library have.

It's been a horrible day and I dont need this to make it any more horrible. Tone down the language so that I can visit it. Please.

I really like the idea behind the site, looks cool to me.

Though the f-bomb on the front page and the assorted cursing everywhere else is kinda dumb. I mean, cursing's pretty meaningless - you don't say anything by it, and it just brings the content to a lower, more base, level.

Other than that, it's cool.

Dude, We arent going to do that, pretend like people don't swear.. repress ourselves and become something we dont want to be.

We may however build in a swear filter like VB has when we get the time so that when i say '****ing' it just has those polite lille ** and you dont weep about it... of course it would be defaulted to off.

I am truly sorry to anyone that we may have offended by swearing but seriously guys... go and read something else if its that bad, cus it isnt going away.

ohhhhh i didnt mean it like that, i cant be mean to you guys, you rule, Of course we would rather you read our site, just as we intended it to be read.... pretend like its bleeped out or soemthing.

Also apetition isnt going to stop us... like a web petition ever worked.. heh. maybe we could be the first web petition success!!!! ¬

also - beocme an activist againse LEC? nah, too much effort, ill just slag them off whenever i can. :)

Originally posted by Brushguy

We need a petition for Idle Thumbs to control their mouths, so everyone, including kids, can visit.

Seriously. Shut the F*ck up. Its their (alread excellent ;) ) site and they can do what they want... I don't think it looks unprofessional and if anything distinguishes it from sites like IGN. People like you really do get on my tits...

as for the guy who can't access it at school, wait till you get to college... like me!!!

I think idlethumbs is a good idea, recently there just hasnt been anything really interesting or worth reading about LEC wise... other than the recent S&M2 cancelation..

At least now there will be more articles and not just on LEC... Good work chaps.

Archived