Home

Mixnmojo pushed out of the way for Idle Thumbs?

Brushguy

Originally posted by LucasTones

The article on framerates, 50 hurts, was an interesting read. I'm glad most GC games have the 60hz option, even though at the moment I can't use it as I'm running the purple box off my 1993 monitor.

I know what you mean. I can't even play Zelda Collectors edition without taking the 'Cube to the living room or the kitchen (But my Mum said I'd get a new TV for christmas so I can play Zelda }:¬)

By the way, I have thought up a solution that will allow me to access Idle Thumbs without having to censor the Mother ****ing Goose. Delete the "Mother ****ing Goose" headline and transfer it onto the jpeg and maybe, just maybe, the filters wont ban the main page.

It'd be a good idea if at some point whilst bored they produced a php parser for the news/etc text which will censor any swearing if, say, ?noswear=1 is added to the URL. Then you can disable it without even having the visit the site. Wahay!

Yeah it is unlike game sites to swear blantently. Not that im against that sort of thing since it doesn't offend me.. but im sure some people out there would be.

A PHP parser is the best method yes, you'd need the user to turn it on from a start page then give them a cookie perhaps to retain the value.

I guess since it might have been missed, its worth pointing out that Mother ****ing Goose is in fact a pun, or at least has a double meaning sort of in it. A play on words, if you will. Its not just the f-word slapped in there for kicks. Its a humorous phrase, meant to amuse those with active minds (and idle thumbs).

Attention people who do not like the "needless cursing" and those who think it should be stopped so children can read the page: GAMING IS NOT ONLY FOR CHILDREN. Its about ****ing time a site decided to treat gamers as adults.

And Skinkie, Mother****ing Goose is a play on Mother Goose. I did not find this particularly clever or insightful, but whatever.

I find this whole 'cursing is evil' thing surreal. There is no filter on the Idle T forums either and there shouldn't be one. Seriously, though, do these asterisks really make you feel any less dirty? We all know what four-letter word goes in that place, could someone please explain to me how the fuck are our souls any purer through the damn asterisks?!

Cursing doesn't lower the standard of writing any more than a nice folder raises the relevance of a doctoral dissertation. I curse for emphasis in all my academic papers and my professors have yet to complain. On the other hand, all the people I have met so far who chastised me for my cursing had roughly one-third of my working vocabulary (not accounting for the lexicon of unique curses, of course).

So in conclusion, **** you and welcome.

I think it may be the whole point about other people seeing the swear words and getting offended, not people using them and then feeling better because of the asterisks. Some people do get offended with people using swaerwords in every single sentance, some people don't. Idle Thumbs has every right to use swear words if it wants, but it should at least be considerate for the other people and put in an optional filter for it (which i think they're doing)

Originally posted by Joshi

Idle Thumbs has every right to use swear words if it wants, but it should at least be considerate for the other people and put in an optional filter for it (which i think they're doing)

Riiight. Sure. Yeah... I think we only have one considerate person on the team. Sure ain't me.

Archived