Home

Nintendo at E3

jokemaster

Nintendo utterly dropped the ball on their handhelds yesterday. I was firmly anti all Sony stuff until yesterday when the PSP knocked me off my arse. It totally took me by surprise. It blew the DS out of the damn water, not only power wise, the PSP almost has the specs of a PS2 and the DS is on par with a N64, but it also doesn't look like a tonka toy. It also uses 1.8gig mini discs while the DS is still using cartidges and looks to be, "sturdily built for even the most active of four year olds". :(

I never ever thought I'd see myself supporting a sony product ,much less their handheld. That's how badly farked Nintendo was yesterday.

I believe I speak for most when I say, what the hell, Nintendo? What the hell?

Some will forgive them of this because they're making the new Zelda, totally damn awesome btw, but some see this as a bad thing. Nintendo has always stuck to their guns before in the past when it came to what to do and how to make a game. I'm not saying that they always made good choices; far from that. I just mean that they always did what they wanted to do and weren't influenced into making something.

Sony is making a better handheld and Nintendo is not making games in their own way anymore. Is this the end of Nintendo as we know it?

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Nintendo utterly dropped the ball on their handhelds yesterday. I was firmly anti all Sony stuff until yesterday when the PSP knocked me off my arse. It totally took me by surprise. It blew the DS out of the damn water, not only power wise, the PSP almost has the specs of a PS2 and the DS is on par with a N64, but it also doesn't look like a tonka toy. It also uses 1.8gig mini discs while the DS is still using cartidges and looks to be, "sturdily built for even the most active of four year olds". :(

I never ever thought I'd see myself supporting a sony product ,much less their handheld. That's how badly farked Nintendo was yesterday.

I believe I speak for most when I say, what the hell, Nintendo? What the hell?

Ok, someone really need to explain what DS and PSP are! :mad:

I think it might be a close thing between the DS and the PSP, but (assuming nintendo doesn't do their usual thing and manage to mess up a sure winner) i think the DS might edge it.

Graphics:

PSP has better 3d graphics, but having a GP32 which can play doom and a few other 3d parts I can tell you that there is a limit to how much difference extra 3d detail makes on a tiny screen. The N-Gage showed this as well, it had far better 3d graphics than the GBA, but most 3d games just don't work well on a small screen.

Games:

I'm sure Sony will line up a huge set of developers, and they do have a big catalogue of PS/PS2 games to convert... but the DS can play GB, GBC anf GBA games out of the box, which gives it a big head start, especially among the huge number of GB owners who already have collections of games. Of course Nintendo also have a quite cool back-catalogue of games to convert.. Imagine Ocarina DS or Goldeneye DS.

Control:

Not sure which will win here... playing fps games witht he stylus sounds like it might work, thought he PSP has an analogue stick that might be an improvement. I'm just a little worried Nintendo will only use the stylus/touchscreen for cute gimicky paint type games.

Media:

Still don't know much about the storage capabilities... but although the movie playing capabilities of the PSP sound cool, i'm not sure how they will work.

It definately can't play dvds. I assume the mini-disk format it uses won't take over from dvds...

does that mean you are going to have to buy films on the mini-disks, meaning you can only watch them on your PSP? I can't see many people doing that if they are over a few pounds each.

Albums might have the same problem, I can't see sony letting you copy them or create your own mini-disks, so are you going to be limitied to buying albums you can only listen to on your PSP??

I can already rip films and tv onto my gp32, and the fact i can make my own films makes it much more flexible (if worse quality) than the PSP. However there is (honestly) a limit to how often you can use it. Really long flights is about the only time you might get to watch a film, and even then it can be tricky if you are flying with someone else. (and a lot of airlines now have many movie channels to choose from anyway).

Don't know anything about the new DS storage format, so i don't know what it's capabilities might be in this area.

Wireless:

Probably both be fairly similar, but the fact that up to 16 people in one place can wirelessly play of one cartridge makes the DS look very tempting. Might be able to do the same with the PSP tho...

PocketPC:

It'll be interesting to see what the DS can do with it's stylus, wifi, bluetooth and a mobile in terms of maybe web browsing, personal organising, instant messaging etc... but like the PSP movie stuff it might turn out to be a big gimmick no-one uses.

----

Whichever comes out first might have a huge advantage, or whichever is cheapest. On what we know at the moment i would probably go for the DS, but who knows.

Nintendo definately need to stop this rubbish "third pillar" bit though as it will just confuse everyone. THey need to use the gameboy name (for brand recognition, and to emphasise it plays gb games) and just do like they did with the GBA/GBA sp and have them run in parallel for a while, with 2d games being released on the old format so they can be used in both and 3d stuff released on the new format.

On the other hand, i think nintendo's next console will probably be their last, as XBOX2 and PS3 are looking like they wil be so much more than just game consoles.

PS/ Giest looks rubbish. (The others look cool though. Nintendo really needs a few non-franchise games though)

To be frank, I've never really been that hyped up over the DS. I don't know nearly enough about it to really have much of an opinion of it.

However, I was stunned when Nintendo announced that it would use so-called "durable and dependable" cartriges. For a second, I wasn't sure what year this was. This is supposed to be the "new" Nintendo. Yet why were they supporting the exact same hackneyed ideas that put them dead last in the console wars for years?!

Cartriges, for better or for worse, are synonymous with "obsolescence" (sp?) nowadays. Nintendo needs to realize that. Cartriges just aren't "cool" anymore. Sony seems to realize that with their PSP. For years Nintendo's handhelds have been the company's gravy train. With image-savvy Sony entering the fray, the prospects of Nintendo's handheld monopoly are grim.

That said, I'm extremely excited about the Gamecube lineup for E3. I haven't been this excited about Nintendo's E3 lineup in years. Zelda, Metroid Echoes, Starfox, Pikmin 2, Viewtiful Joe 2...the future has become a whole lot rosier for us GC owners.:D

My money is on the DS being cheaper than the PSP.

The GC lineup is awesome, and I'm gonna check the DS out once it comes out. Metroid: Hunters looks excellent, but the PSP is tempting. ARGH! I'm gonna have t o choose one over the other.

*prays he gets one as a gift*

ninteno's gonna do good this E3, especially since Reggie is gonna be kicking ass and taking names!

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/cube/article/514/514769/reggielution_wmvlow.wmv

Reggie is my hero.

reggie.jpg

72416_reggie.jpg

allyourname.jpg

ps, for those of you who don't know, Reggie Fils-Aime is the Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Nintendo. He's all about kicking ass and taking names. You have to watch the nintendo press conference to see the level in which Reggie rocks! however, i dont know where you can get the vid without paying. i think gamespot has it, but you can onlystream it.

although he does seem to be a bit confused about the state of gaming, the gamecube and gamecube games. Did he not notice that there are hardly any of them, and they cost twice as much as games for the other consoles (with the MultiPlayer bits ripped out)??

He sure is enthusiastic though....

It'll be interesting to see what the format is for the DS carts, they must have pretty big storage abilities.

On the other hand, i'm not sure that a 1.8Gb disk is really needed for a handheld...

Having the 1.8 gig available is great though because then when they move games over they won't have to cut out the movies or lower quality on sounds and the like. :)

Edit: Another reason why I'm disliking the DS more and more. Checking out the info about the DS and watching videos, it looks as though quite a few games will involve having to use the stylus and direction pad at the same time; Metroid for example. .

... How are left handers supposed to be able to use these games? :confused: Are we lefties ****ed once again?

Archived