Home

remakes

linklinker

This is just a wish.

I wish Lucasarts would remake mi 1 and 2 to the same graphics in mi3

In fact I would like to see all the old adventure games remade like with talkie versions of mi 1 - 2.

How many feel the same and how many of you liked the graphics from monkey island 3 better than monkey island 4.

I got the dig the other day and beat it with only a few hints yeah.

I like the graphics from MI3 better than the ones from MI4... but still I liked the graphics from MI2 better than the ones from MI3.

So, IF they would do a re-make of MI1 and MI2 I just wanted them to get full speech, and leave everything else unchanged... well, maybe a completely revamped soundtrack (done with live players, like in MI3/Mi4).

I would like them to put some sound effects in the first 2 mi games to.

I have always been a real big fan of mi3.

I would really like to see mi 1 and 2 with full speech. Hey if you know of tierra interactive maby it would be an idea to drop them a word to do a remake of mi 1 and 2.

note:Tierra interactive well I think thats the name they have done remakes of a few sierra games with full speech and they are just a small team of people who are fans and like the sierra games so they would probaly do remakes for lucas games.

mi 1 has only a few sfx but mi 2 only has midi sfx and i real sfx and I want them to intergrate it with speech and music and not in midi.

Too bad lec will never do it infact never do probaly another adventure game as long as I live.

Nope. No remakes, thank you. They are as good as any other game. Who needs updated graphics anyway? It means that they have to re-do the whole game. Not only replace the graphics, but THE WHOLE, and that would take some time..

No voices, Music and sound is fine as it is. I like the characters the way they are. the only thing I'd change is the background as I'd want to play the way they were painted by Tiller, not the downed resolutions versions.

I'd love to see (or hear) voices in those games. LucasArts always does it so perfectly, so they would fit.

Come on, who here hasn't got a copy of MI1 and MI2 already? And everyone would buy another copy if 1 & 2 were updated with full voices. Who can look me in the monitor and tell me they wouldn't?

I'd like to see an updated interface, too. The one that takes up a third of the screen really annoys me. Push? Pull? Who cares! Just USE!

I will stare you in the monitor and say I do not want an updated game, except for higher resolution background. Voices will simply spoil it for me, end of story. If they released it, I'd be weary about buying it.

if they updated the graphics, they would have to go for MI4 graphics because 2D isn't going to sell much to new players. And if they updated the graphics, they would have to add voices to match the updated graphics. And if they added voices, they would have to redo the music to match the quality of the voices. And if they redid the music, they would need to finish redoing everything else and get it to sell, so i guess they won't do anything.

Voices would be the easiest to do. With all the iMuse dealings all over the place it would be hard to do the music, and the graphics would mean the whole game would have to be remade. A quick budget release and a few voices and frankly I would buy it just to see what it was like.

Originally posted by woodenstool

if they updated the graphics, they would have to go for MI4 graphics because 2D isn't going to sell much to new players. And if they updated the graphics, they would have to add voices to match the updated graphics. And if they added voices, they would have to redo the music to match the quality of the voices. And if they redid the music, they would need to finish redoing everything else and get it to sell, so i guess they won't do anything.

I had no hopes in the least that they would actually do a remake, this is just an idea.

But the background would be the easiest to do considering they were painted in full resolution before being put into the game where there resolution was turned down so it would actually work in the game. The originals should still be around somewhere (considering a lot of the MI2 background art is at the scummbar at the mo)

It wouldn't be hard to remake the first 2 MI games... unless they did alot of work on the engine. It's just a matter of changing the sounds and artwork since all the puzzles have already been created.

They would more than likely use the mi4 engine I think. I can't see LEC going back to 2d adventures unfortunately.

To be honest I kind of like mi1/mi2 as they are I think LEC would ruin it with 3d graphics.

Originally posted by linklinker

This is just a wish.

I wish Lucasarts would remake mi 1 and 2 to the same graphics in mi3

In fact I would like to see all the old adventure games remade like with talkie versions of mi 1 - 2.

How many feel the same and how many of you liked the graphics from monkey island 3 better than monkey island 4.

I got the dig the other day and beat it with only a few hints yeah.

yeah i think the graphics in MI3 suit the game better than full on 3D, seeing MI1 n 2 remade like that would be cool, but its a still a big project, i dont suppose it will happen.

I said something similar over at Idle Thumbs.

I think Paco Vink's comics prove that the MI1, and by extension M12 story fit very well into the Tiller/CMI animation style.

If any remakes were made, they should definately be in that style.

I don't get what everyone's preocupation with 3d is. For me, the fact that CMI was like an interactive cartoon was cool. All it needed was higher res animation and backgrounds, and it would have been perfect. No major developer would have the guts to unleash a fully 2d game, which is a shame.

Not to dis MI1&2, which are awesome as they are, but in the unlikely event that remakes, or sequels are made (if they are, I hope Double Fine do them, 'cause LEC has no idea how to make good games anymore), the Tiller style would be really cool.

To be honest the chance of LEC even thinking about remaking them are slim and none anyway. Given the fact they wouldnt even release a new sam n max game... what chance is there of redoing old adventure games. :/

Originally posted by GregD

To be honest the chance of LEC even thinking about remaking them are slim and none anyway. Given the fact they wouldnt even release a new sam n max game... what chance is there of redoing old adventure games. :/

The chances are probably somewhere in the region of zero, (statistically equal to zero anyway), I imagine.

Probably a good thing.

Originally posted by Andi Wan

The chances are probably somewhere in the region of zero, (statistically equal to zero anyway), I imagine.

Probably a good thing.

Id have to agree, the way LEC are going I don't think they would have a clue how to remake them properlly

I think Paco Vink's comics prove that the MI1, and by extension M12 story fit very well into the Tiller/CMI animation style.

yeah, but paco wouldn't be asked to do it and so it wouldn't be as cool. Also remember, Paco's doing a comic, meaning different camera angles and so on, for that to be in a 2D rendered adventure game would be really stupid and therefore we would not get the same effect as we would with the comic. But yeah, i see what you mean, MI1 and 2 done in the style of CMi would look cool, but personally, I prefer the characters from the first two and the backgrounds are cool (if not a little dated)

Originally posted by Joshi

Also remember, Paco's doing a comic, meaning different camera angles and so on, for that to be in a 2D rendered adventure game would be really stupid and therefore we would not get the same effect as we would with the comic.

Not that it really matters that much, but cartoons have different angles don't they? The cutscenes in CMI also have different camera angles.

I don't get your point.

But don't get me wrong, like I said before, the first two games are great the way they are.

I mis-spent my youth playing them!

My friends and I played Lucasarts games pretty much non-stop 1993-1995.

In hindsight, perhaps that was not the most healthy way to allocate my time. I should have been:

paving a freeway

or

painting a line down the middle of my driveway

or

talking to someone of the opposite sex

or

hosting a weenie roast

or...

Or inviting your friends over for white wine and salmon --NOT!

An independent company should update them... ie some fans! With a little help from ScummVM it could be quite legal too! If ScummVM could interpret the original files but replace the artwork with higher resolutions then nobody would be distributing copyrighted material and you'd require the original files to make it work.

The same thing has been done with System Shock 2. A chap who did the "rebirth" mod actually landed a job because of the excellent quality of the work he did. Groovy. All he did was replace the original models and textures for the game: Thus not distributing anything copyrighted!

But I don't get the mentality of "oh, they're just fine the way they are...".

1) That's simply not true. Was MI1 better in 16 colors? Was it better with it's old style interface before it was updated to the MI2 one? Was it better with cruddy sound effects? Well? No! The game been updated and improved upon and no-one has complained before.

Same goes for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I don't see any purists complaining that the game was ruined when it was updated with 256 colors!

Same goes for Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken, not to mention LOOM!

Redoing the graphics can actually enhance the gameplay: So long as it is done competently. And since nobody here wants to see their favourite games updated INcompetently: What's the hoo-ha about?

also:

2) Remaking a game still allows you to play the "old skool" version. It won't be erased from your harddrive or your memories! If you don't like the updated version then don't play it! Everybodys happy! See? It's a lovely thing. Come on everybody give eachother a big hug.

I've been pushing for a remake of at least MI1 for some time. I'd still love to see it happen. There's a lot of real talent out there.

- TP2K1

Not that it really matters that much, but cartoons have different angles don't they? The cutscenes in CMI also have different camera angles.

I don't get your point.

Basically yes, the cutscenes in CMI did have them, but they were cutscenes, i.e, you don't interact at that point. The Cutscenes in CMI were few and far between for a reason,, one, they take a while to do and two, it involves a lot of background painting for each new shot (like different angles)

If this were done in the actual game play on Mi1 and 2 (like in paco's comic) this would get very tedious and each time the camera took a new angle, a new background would have to be painted. yes cartoons in the past did this (most of them now use deep canvas) but t was very time consuming. think of CMi now, when you played, all of you actions and stuff took place against teh same background in the same window, nothing much changed unless you went into a different room or area so it was easier.

that's basically what i'm saying.

and I spent most of my youth doing the same thing.

Archived