Home

Jedi Academy's price reduced

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Some of you who have been playing it since it came out should finally go out and buy it (and you know who you are).

lol yes...some of my friends had bought it originaly but had some "issues" that destroyed their cd so now they went out and bought it again :D

Jedi Academy was unfairly treated in the gaming media last year, of that I have no doubt. The over-hyping of Halo (most of the gaming media are already revisionist on this one) and the pre-hyping of HL2, tied in with the opinion - shared widely here - that new game = new engine. Same engine = expansion.

Regardless - Jedi Academy is now $29.95 at the lucas store, and other places.

What games from 2003 are more than $30?

Call of Duty is $35

Halo is $35

Max Payne 2 is $33

What else is $30?

C&C Generals

BF1942

KotOR

Deus Ex Invisible War

Breed

Chrome

And other good games - like Tron 2.0 and Elite Force 2 - are $20 or less.

Mike

Yep its a sad affair how games get treated. But thats the way it is. Even Raven moved on to a new project and I'm sure support for academy is going to be nil. Proof of this is that they handed over all their model and animation data done in softimage. Which more than likely means they'll be doing something new.

Some people here would like nothing more than to say - 'see, i told ya JA wuz teh sux0r!!11!'

But that isn't the real issue.

It is just that the pricing and purchasing trends are changing in the game world and approaching those in other segments of the entertainment industry.

Who remembers when a video came out for $80 for several months before dropping?

Who remembers when opening weekend for a film wasn't such a big deal since you'd have 4 months, not 4 weeks, before it was gone?

These things have changed over time.

There are more and more games coming out, and less space for PC games. Shelf cycle time is shorter, and retailers want to maximize space for high profit, fast moving games (read: plenty of shelf space for WWII games and the Sims). What they no longer can tolerate is 9 month old games that are only moderate sellers.

*That* is why JKII was $50 nearly 18 months after release (as was MoHAA and a few others) but now, only 2 years later, *EVERY* major 2003 game has seen at least 25% discounting.

Mike

Yeah, but that's like $5 right? Just kidding crow! ; )

Bad joke I know...

PS: Now that the price is reduced we can't have the excuse anymore "it's just an expansion pack so I refuse to pay full price for it."

Originally posted by txa1265

It is just that the pricing and purchasing trends are changing in the game world and approaching those in other segments of the entertainment industry.

Who remembers when a video came out for $80 for several months before dropping?

Who remembers when opening weekend for a film wasn't such a big deal since you'd have 4 months, not 4 weeks, before it was gone?

These things have changed over time.

There are more and more games coming out, and less space for PC games. Shelf cycle time is shorter, and retailers want to maximize space for high profit, fast moving games (read: plenty of shelf space for WWII games and the Sims). What they no longer can tolerate is 9 month old games that are only moderate sellers.

*That* is why JKII was $50 nearly 18 months after release (as was MoHAA and a few others) but now, only 2 years later, *EVERY* major 2003 game has seen at least 25% discounting.

Mike

I can't remember when games cost that much. Rather PC games I always remember being $60 at MOST when they first came out, big name games.

The EXPENSIVE games were the cartridge based console games like for the SNES (the Neo Geo being the exception because they used actual arcade hardware, no porting was done, so the games were in the hundreds of dollars). Super Mario World and Street Fighter II Turbo were super expensive when they first came out.

I remember Sega Genesis games being $60 when they first came out (early 90's) and I'd wait a few months to buy them when they were $30. I often waited for pc games to drop around this price too, but back then I tried to save money. Nowadays I just buy fewer games, and the ones I do buy I buy as soon as possible. ; )

But even today console games are still more expensive than PC games. ALL Xbox games were like $50 or $60, regardless of the game and they stayed that way for a loooong time, long after most PC games had dropped in price. JK2 did stay at full price for a long time though.

Anyway the high prices stemmed from cartridge games being more expensive to produce than disc based games back then and with console games they inflate the prices of games to make up for selling the hardcare (consoles) at less than cost (to encourage a large user base).

Nowadays, apart from the "deluxe collector's edition" games and the bargain bin titles, most pc games I see are like $40 or $50 at most when they come out.

So no, I don't remember PC games costing that much, though I've heard people in the computer industry tell me they remember when 386 systems cost $5000 dollars (!).

The shelf thing probably has some truth to it, especially at the big retailers like Wal-Mart, who basically have a "new games" shelf for only the latest stuff, and a "bargain shelf" for the jewel case games from 1-2 years ago and the valusoft budget titles. Wal-Mart I've found usually jacks up their game prices, but their bargain titles are really cheap and so are their DVD's. Other stores usually have more reasonable game prices, but more expensive DVD's and either don't stock bargain games at all (or just used ones) or they are more expensive. So it still pays to shop around from the major retailers.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I can't remember when games cost that much. Rather PC games I always remember being $60 at MOST when they first came out, big name games.

What I meant was VHS tapes of movies - kind of like I'll always call a new music release an 'album', a new movie release is a 'video'.

Sorry for being ancient ;)

So no, I don't remember PC games costing that much, though I've heard people in the computer industry tell me they remember when 386 systems cost $5000 dollars (!).[/b]
At my first job I got a very early 486DX 25 MHz system ... a Dell with 13" monitor. $10,000. (no kidding).

Mike

Ah, sort of like how they say somebody is "selling a lot of records" when they really mean CD's. ; )

Yeah, VHS movies are super expensive, even today. Like 100$ or something for a new movie, but they usually put them in rental first and by the time they finally get out on the market the price has dropped to an affordable $30-15 bucks, vs. even new DVD's are usually less than $30 even though the products are of much higher quality than VHS tapes.

That reminds me, ever notice how VHS tapes made 15+ years ago seem to be made out of higher quality materials (and age better) than modern tapes? I ordered some old Captain Power tapes off ebay (from 1987) and they felt HEAVY compared to similar movies I'd gotten in a few years ago. I imagine they use cheaper materials now that aren't built to last... same with audio tapes, it's sort of spoiled me for discs (even though you've got to treat those extra carefully).

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. ; )

Originally posted by txa1265

Jedi Academy was unfairly treated in the gaming media last year, of that I have no doubt. The over-hyping of Halo (most of the gaming media are already revisionist on this one) and the pre-hyping of HL2, tied in with the opinion - shared widely here - that new game = new engine. Same engine = expansion.

Regardless - Jedi Academy is now $29.95 at the lucas store, and other places.

What games from 2003 are more than $30?

Call of Duty is $35

Halo is $35

Max Payne 2 is $33

What else is $30?

C&C Generals

BF1942

KotOR

Deus Ex Invisible War

Breed

Chrome

And other good games - like Tron 2.0 and Elite Force 2 - are $20 or less.

Mike

Nope, $24.99 at Fry's Electronics (large electronics\computer\video\appliance chain). Today's ad has KOTOR for the same price ($24.99) at Fry's.

I waited until the price drop before I got JK2, played the single player game and multiplayer against bots, then didn't start going online until almost a year after JK2 came out. A lot of people had already moved on by then.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Nope, $24.99 at Fry's Electronics (large electronics\computer\video\appliance chain). Today's ad has KOTOR for the same price ($24.99) at Fry's.

What I was quoting were the 'official' list prices, not some special deal. There is always a promotion somewhere, so that isn't as accurate a guage.

Mike

At my local Best Buy Jedi Academy is $29.99. Right next to it on the shelf I was shocked to see that Jedi Outcast was $49.99!

Then my shock abated when I realized that they had listed incorrect prices on every game boxes, the correct price for JK2 was $19.99. ; )

Archived