Home

Nintendo DS or Sony PSP

LiMP RABBiT

This forum seems dead and gone but I'll do my best to bring back some life. At E3, the NDS dual-screened handheld and the PSP Sony handheld have just been been revealed. I recon that the DS is, though the less powerful, the better. It might come close to replicating the amazing revolution of 3D gaming. The PSP, on the other hand, seems to be large, heavy and power draining and will most likely feature straight ports. But, as per usual, it will probably do better because of some multimedia extras.

NDS all the way.

Nintendo rules the handheld market and have successfully fended off 9 previous opponents. The PSP will survive since Sony is a huge corporation and the PlayStation line remains the most popular console, but overall the NDS will definately be owning the PSP's ass. There a lot of gaming companies who are excited, REALLY excited about the NDS. It's new and different and we all know power isn't everything. It's a handheld, it doesn't need powerful games, it needs smart games. There's no point pumping that much power into a handheld when the screen you're viewing it on is tiny compared to a TV.

The PSP has too many wasted features that are battery draining which is the all important factor for a handheld. We all want that battery life to be as long as possible, the NDS is said to be able to run for the same amount of time as the GBA SP. Sony claims their PSP can run upto 2 to 10 hours... 2 to 10 hours? uhhh... i'm guessing 2 hours worth of actual gaming and 10 hours when it's put on standby :dozey:

I definately agree with you Lynk, DS is gonna own the PSP's ass.

Ok I'm impressed they could make the PSP almost as powerful as the PS2 and yet keep it so small and all, but when you think about it no developper would risk investing a great amount of money to develop a game for such a small or uncertain market. So we're mostly gonna see ports from the PS2 in the PSP's game library. And who would rather play a game like Grand Turismo on a ****ty screen and controller, whent they can comfortably play it in the comfort of their living room on a big screen and surround sound ???

On the other hand, the NDS will force developpers to come up with new and original games. There's also a couple of new features like the touch screen and dual screens that developpers can take advantage of. Ds is also backward compatible with all of the GBA games sou you get an instant 500 titles library...

Another major advantage of the DS over the PSP, is like lynk said, battery lives. But I heared PSP was like 4-6 hours compared to 12 for DS, it's 2 to 3 times more play time without a recharge or battery change... that's extremely important for a handheld.

Just because it looks better doesn't mean it is better. The PSP looks bloody nice, that's a sure fact. The NDS looks pretty damn bad and I hope Nintendo goes back to the drawing board with the design and really makes it look hot and sexy so it can compete with the PSP on that level.

One thing you should never forget is the fact that Nintendo has the upper hand when it comes to addictive handheld games. You know what i'm talking about ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived