Home

Stephen king

NiKo

i dont have much time, what with the army and all.

but i've finally purchased 'the fall'.

i've read 'it' before, but people who have seen the movie spoiled it for me :mad: =/

anyways, yeah. i intend to be reading lots of his novels

yeah, the "Dark Tower"-books are great...

next month, the 6. book will be released...

i can't wait anymore!

and imho, most of the other books by King (and Richard Bachman, which happens to be his pseudonym (is this the right word? in german this would be correct...)) are great, too...

sad thing is, that many of the tv-adaptions are crap...

(like the "Children Of The Corn"-thingies... they are ridiculous...)

Some of the miniseries are good. The adapted movies aren't that good though. There's been some exceptions...like The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption, but for a miniseries, Storm of the century was really great (even though that wasn't an adaption, that was a Stephen King script written for ABC.)

okay, The Green Mile was great...

and Dolores and Misery were okay, too...

and i also kind of liked Needful Things, though i expected more...

hmm... i really would like to see an adaption of the Dark Tower series...

although a part of me fears it could get messed up...

I think "The Stand" would definitely be one of my favourite books. I read a few more King novels after that, and while some were pretty good, I got bored of him quite quickly.

Still, I would highly recommend The Stand to anyone.

Originally posted by DrMcCoy

hmm... i really would like to see an adaption of the Dark Tower series...

although a part of me fears it could get messed up...

I personally thing that the Dark Tower series would work as a very long adventure game, perhaps two or so, a long epic rpg or something like that. I mean, there's a lot of going around and talking to people, a lot of problem sovling (especially the riddles in the Waste Lands) a lot of different environments and locations, and an excellent story to drive it. What do you think?

If they were to make a movie out of it than Willem Dafoe would have to play Roland.

yeah, i think the Dark Tower would work as a computer game...

but it's somewhat strange if it would be based completely on the books, because if you read them, this game wouldn't have any surprises, which would be a bit boring (especially if it's an adventure)...

Good point. I still think it's a better idea than adapting it into a movie....Hollywood just would allow though lengths, and if they did cut enough of it to fit, it would probably lose a lot of some of the more important stuff. That's the main problem with the Stephan King novels adapted (or adapted novels in general) most of them aren't that good because they don't touch the subplots well enough, and reading these books, I can't of anything you could be able to cut out give or take a few dialogues. With games, you can make them as long as you want if you have the time and money cause for game audiances, the longer the better, the more complex the plot the better, and the more elaborate in detail the better.

hmm, you're right...

cutting the whole book to a 2 hours film would suck...

*thinks*

but what about a tv series? that would allow nearly unlimited length...

(

the only problem is that in germany, where live, there are some tv stations cutting everything so that they can stuff a lot of comercial break in between... (some sort of swiss-cheese model), but that's not really connected to this topic...

)

TV stations and producers won't put in enough money to do justice to such an expensive and epic idea. That and, I know it's probably different in Germany, but in the US, censorship basically controls the television progams, and even though the books could survive being condensed to more audiance-friendly programming, I think it deserves to be the more mature-rated thing the book was. (Keep in mind, US censorship really is the opposite than in Europe. Here sex and profanity is bad while violence is okay. Ironic, I know. I was extremely surprised when I went to Spain and saw nudity in the commercials)

Archived