Home

Multiplayer

StormHammer

No reason why not excep that it just means extra time spent that they might not have.

Any map makers knows that making a good Siege map is harder than making a good FFA or CTF map, after all.

I hope they DO do an assault/siege type mode for RC, but so far we have no evidence that they are going to do so.

Maybe Team Deathmatch won't be so bad, if they can make it like the one in Call Of Duty, with a smaller number of players.

I've been playing a lot of TDM in CoD recently. On servers with lots of people (30-40) it becomes just a mindless frag fest with what I can only describe as 'flocking' behaviour, i.e., a cluster of people just going around the maps in a wave shooting everything in sight.

However, on servers with smaller numbers of players, like 4-8 a side, you see a lot more tactics coming into play, with flankers, decoys, 3-pronged assaults to take a location. All of this without communicating via text or voice chat. It's like everyone gets automatically keyed in to each other. I often find myself automatically taking the role of 'flanker' to work around behind the enemy.

Part of the reason for better use of tactics is that when you run, your footsteps can be heard quite clearly - so it is easier to tell when someone is approaching. Crouch-walking basically allows you to be stealthy, because you don't make anywhere near as much noise.

It just occurs to me that RC could play very much like that - if they can get the map design for MP right. A lot of the MP maps for CoD are very well designed (look at Neuville, Carentan, Chateau, Depot, Dawnville, Brecourt etc.).

That's not to say I don't still want to see an objective-based mode. I think that is key to a game of this nature - as long as you can continually respawn. That's one of the things I really dislike about CoD's objective modes - you win the map if you complete an objective or kill all of the other team. Most of the matches I've watched (not bothered to play) have simply focused on killing the other team to win - so the objectives seem rather pointless.

A game like Enemy Territory I think has managed to get it right. Because you constantly respawn, you become totally focused on the objectives, and there is a great ebb and flow to the gameplay as you try to beat the clock.

Again, a lot of it comes down to some excellent level design, with good choke points, capturable respawn points, etc.

One thing I would say is that I think RC's MP might work best if there are smaller teams (8 a side) who employ better tactics and 'stealth'.

"Any map makers knows that making a good Siege map is harder than making a good FFA or CTF map, after all."

Which is why there is only like 5 siege maps made......

Xiron - If you read the thread, you would see that there is a chance it is a co op mode, but that it may have not been anounced yet.

Originally posted by StormHammer

... on servers with smaller numbers of players, like 4-8 a side, you see a lot more tactics coming into play, with flankers, decoys, 3-pronged assaults to take a location. All of this without communicating via text or voice chat. It's like everyone gets automatically keyed in to each other ... Enemy Territory I think has managed to get it right. Because you constantly respawn, you become totally focused on the objectives, and there is a great ebb and flow to the gameplay as you try to beat the clock.

it almost sounds like you're talking about America's Army, without the respawning. multiplayer is ONLY objective based, and you win by either meeting the objective or eliminating the opposing force. players cannot be 'rambo' in the game ... that's just begging to get a cap or two in the a$$. you must work as one large team, or a few smaller teams, and keep the lines of communication quick and efficient.

an objective based mp mode like seige could be very fun with the combination of close combat and action the game seems to have. i think a mode where one person issues commands to a small team of 5 players, the commandos with special gear vs. 10 - 15 players, trandoshans with basic guns and gear would be a fun attack/defend or objective based mode. if a player dies on the commandos, the player can be revived only after a while, whereas the trandoshans respawn a little faster. kinda make a single player level, but all controlled by people.

also i remember hearing a mode in rainbow six that is more like the standard, unreal type fast paced action deathmatch. i think it would be cool to have two modes of gameplay style for the deathmatchs, arcade and tactical.

all wishful thinking.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I just can't help thinking there's something lacking. An objective-based squad-based team MP mode where you have to complete a certain standalone mission would have been appreciated. Maybe something like this is planned - but as stated above, the only officially confirmed modes are vanilla MP.

Oh I love objective team-play. That's why the game Enemy Territory has cought me. I hope objective's other than opening doors will be inlcuded, like planting explosives, build bridges.

I also hope the MP maps have lots of "micro-warfare" maps, so there are many places to fight, and not only one or two places to fight on a map. Like 20+ micro-places with covers etc.

Archived