Home

Idea for OJP

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but I didn't want to make a new one.

Can the detpack's self destruct (after a little while) be removed? I find it quite annoying when I try to use them to set traps, only to have them explode without harming anyone (and perhaps being in the explosion radius myself). Or would that make it possible to create too many entities on the server?

Why would they do it for detpacks and not for tripmines? The secondary fire for trip mines WILL cause them to auto-destruct, but when you use the primary fire for them they do not.

Also, you can only have so many detpacks out at once, otherwise they start disappearing, I think I would rather lower this number and make detpacks have an infinite life. Siege sure would be a lot more fun that way :)

EDIT:

Oh, and tow cables would be really cool, I'm not sure how much code would be required to implement them though, I think it's safe to assume that it would require a lot of code.

The limits for the explosives were done for both balance and stability.

You can place 10 Trip mines before they start to disappear, and both secondary and primary contribute to your total.

Primary trips stay forever (until destroyed) and this is cool for long term trap laying.

Secondaries stay for about 30 seconds before auto detonating.

Det packs auto detonate after about 30 seconds or if the player dies or is disconnected from the server.

I am not exactly sure what the limit for Det packs (if there is one) is, but I know that by the time you've placed your 20th mine, they will be in the process of auto detonating, so you can't realistically place anymore than 19. And that's with constant placement, so it's more like 10-15.

In JK2 I believe the limits for mines were 20 in cases of both Trips and Dets (of course secondary trips detonated after 3 seconds, so this was a different issue).

In Single player there is seemingly no limit and Det Packs don't auto detonate.

So it seems this is yet another "Make it just like SP" request. ; )

Ultimately, SP does offer a lot of "cool" but unbalancing options, despite it having far crappier gun behavior than MP.

Without mine limitations, Siege would be a real nightmare. Sure it would be fun for the defense, but think of it, you could literally choke a map with mines, since with the presence of Techs and ammo stations, you have infinite ammo. Already, with per-player limits you can have a team of four Demolitionists on Siege Korriban for example placing 40 Primary Trip mines that will stay there until detonated (or they go over the limit and make them start to disappear).

I didn't want the trip mines altered at all, for those very reasons - it would make it far too easy to mine the entire map. Just either extend the detpack autodetonate time limit, or have it infinite and limit the amount of detpacks you can place. So, if it was infinite, you could only place around 5 or so packs before they started disappearing, which would not be too unbalancing. It would just get rid of an annoyance.

Archived