Jump to content

Home

On this edition of Lucasforums @ the movies!


Mike Windu
 Share

Recommended Posts

Review of Troy: written by Mike Windu

 

Troy I thought, was good for someone who had no prior knowledge. Very straightforward action movie with pretty good battles. The main character Achilles, was beautifully done by an aging but still badass Brad Pitt. Other notable performances are Eric Bana of The Hulk as Hector. And Orlando Bloom(come on, everyone knows him) as the young, charming, and pansy-ass Paris.

 

The movie has a bit of emotional drama between Achilles and his captive girl, and that makes the story a bit better although Achilles is never conflicted in the books. I suppose they just needed more character development, which is good.

 

I looked up stuff in the Illiad on the internet. It seems they changed alot of stuff in the movies. But don't let that stop you. It's a good movie in itself.

 

B+

 

-Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

anyone who has read and has an appreciation of the iliad and the odyssey will find the story deviations a bit hard to bear, but it is a nice modern, over the top action interpretation of the main elements of the story, historically incorrect but wonderful to behold...

 

an entertaining night at the movies, take your popcorn with a grain of salt :)

 

.review by astro malten

 

mtfbwya

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

an entertaining night at the movies, take your popcorn with a grain of salt :)

 

I took mine sweet, but never mind. :D

 

Anyway I've just gotten back from watching Troy, and I must say I was dissapointed but only slightly.

It looks great (no, AMAZING) and the battle scenes are comparable to that of Braveheart, LOTR, etc. Some great stuff to look out for including the 1000 ships, massive armies and Troy itself. The acting is more-or-less good (Eric Bana is good, but Sean Bean let me down)

And now for the bad points. Characterisation is not a strength of the this film, it is only Hector, Achilles and Achilles's girlfriend (forgot her name) are the only ones we really care about.

Some scenes are too cheesy/self important and the music leaves much to be desired. Also the bit (about 10-15 mns) after

Hector's Death

was kind of boring.

 

Overall it's a great date movie. Battles for the boys, Brad Pitt (several times) and Orlando Bloom naked for the girls

 

Score: 4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Who was Sean Bean?

 

He was Oddyseus (sp?).

 

Or, if you're actually asking who the actor is, you might otherwise remember him as Boromir in The fellowship of the Ring and maybe The Two Towers (extended). Also he was Alec Trevalyan (006) in GoldenEye and Spence in Ronin. He's usually very good, but he was one of the worst here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't even notice Oddysseus until I came home and looked at a photo gallery...

 

(picture title)Oddysseus as seen in Troy.

 

 

me:WTF? Oddysseus was in the movie?!

 

 

Sean Bean-Boromir has no likeness to 006 at all! I'm surprised!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

anyone who has read and has an appreciation of the iliad and the odyssey will find the story deviations a bit hard to bear, but it is a nice modern, over the top action interpretation of the main elements of the story, historically incorrect but wonderful to behold...

 

an entertaining night at the movies, take your popcorn with a grain of salt :)

 

.review by astro malten

 

mtfbwya

 

Wait wait, hold the phone...

 

We don't even know if the story of the Trojan war is true.

 

Maybe graphically incorrect, but not historically incorrect ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my only real problem with this film was the music score.

 

There just wasn't a compelling soundtrack to add feeling to most of the scenes. When they panned out to show the 1000 ships, the music was so mellow it felt rather, bleh. Same with the battles, there were some wicked cool battles, but the music was so drab it made the fights feel drab and almost dull.

 

 

Whoever composed the music for Troy should be shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not shot. Just taught a lesson by Howard Shore. And the star wars guy.

 

 

It was alright except for the overly mellowness. Didn't give us a sense of urgency as other epic war movies.

 

*goes to buy Troy on dvd. Turns on lotr soundtrack when battles come*

 

Who's with me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir

Wait wait, hold the phone...

 

We don't even know if the story of the Trojan war is true.

 

Maybe graphically incorrect, but not historically incorrect ;)

 

the ancient greek stories arent all about gods sitting on a mountain toying with mortals....Troy was a real part of ancient Greece, now in modern day Turkey. The Trojan war story told by Homer is a recollection of much older tales told by the locals of this region of glories past, part myth, part history ; their historical accuracy is obscured by time and imagination. With regards to the movie, by historically correct I meant the costumes, weapons, ships of this region of ancient Greece of the time..... it isnt too suprising that Hollywood has used quite a bit of creative licence to jazz it up....

 

mtfbwya

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Not shot. Just taught a lesson by Howard Shore. And the star wars guy.

 

 

It was alright except for the overly mellowness. Didn't give us a sense of urgency as other epic war movies.

 

*goes to buy Troy on dvd. Turns on lotr soundtrack when battles come*

 

Who's with me!

 

another kick ass soundtrack is that for Conan the Barbarian...... that soundtrack and some of Shore's work for LOTR are all modernisations of medieval operas, the most famous being Carmina Burana by karl Orff...........

 

mtfbwya

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

The Trojan war story told by Homer is a recollection...

dont be too sure of that. No1 is sure of that, if you wish to i can say a bit bout that

 

About the movie, mesa heard somewhere else gods werent involved, is this blasphemy true? Would suck ass...its all about the gods dammit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

dont be too sure of that. No1 is sure of that, if you wish to i can say a bit bout that

 

About the movie, mesa heard somewhere else gods werent involved, is this blasphemy true? Would suck ass...its all about the gods dammit

 

 

They mention them but they don't partake in the battle. I think they did a good job with the story without them anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I think it would have been extremely odd if the gods were in there.

 

 

It's crazy cause they act as if you're going to be struck down 10 secs after you desecrate or do something wrong.

 

hahahahaha. silly fools. Achilles proved them wrong. =)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Not shot. Just taught a lesson by Howard Shore. And the star wars guy.

 

That's be John Williams ;)

 

 

Seriously, I think Howard Shore and John Williams should team up and beat the composer for Troy senseless for the mockery of music he created for this movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...