Home

On this edition of Lucasforums @ the movies!

Mike Windu

I have absolutely no problems with how they did this movie. From the character developement, to the battles (which are some of the best ever) to just the entire scale of the thing, they did magnificent. The parts for Hector and Achilles were cast perfectly with Eric Bana and Brad Pitt respectively, and you really get a sense of a destined enemys thing going on. Problem is, you like them both so much that when they go up against each other, you know one of them will die, yet you don't want either to.

The only thing that got annoying was the fact that you see the side of Brad Pitt's @$$ about six times or something. A bit annoying.

Anyway, just a personal opinion, but I thought it was one of the better movies ever.

Just bear in mind that it is called "Troy" not "The Illiad" and is about the Battle for Troy as it could have happened rather than how it was portrayed in "The Illiad"

still i aint recovering well from what they did to the bourne identity either :) one of my fav books raped for commerce

it would have been kewl IMO to see them gods more often just watching and choosing sides. In the battle of troy they were changing sides all the time etc, and it all started w/ them... Sigh, if for me a movie is based of a book or something like that and it misses important points i get too mad (wasnt really for lotr, not that important stuff were left out, only arwen bs added)

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

The Trojan war story told by Homer is a recollection of much older tales told by the locals of this region of glories past, part myth, part history ; their historical accuracy is obscured by time and imagination.

Actually, there is some evidence of people being able to tell stories 500 years after the fact and still be roughly 98% accurate. Troy is a real place and is being excavated (sp?) as we speak. (Saw this on the History Channel a few nights ago...)

it is at this point that I woudl once again like to boast that I went to the same high school as Eric Bana, though he had finished by the time I started I believe :(

Eric's is of macedonian heriatge, so he does look convincing as an ancient greek warrior, Brad Pitt...ummm, no....

mtfbwya

Well, i saw it last night and i thought it was ok.

Certain bits were great. I liked brad pit, and i thought that the first battle outside troy's gates was pretty cool. I liked the old actors playing the kings, and I liked the fact that neither side was entirely "right" all the time, with both being foolish & selfish at times.

I really liked the fight between Hector and Achilies.... thought it was really well choreographed.... made achilies look like a really good fighter (but without turning him into Neo or Jet Li as i had feared they might).

Sean Bean was cool as always.

There wasn't even anything i hated (except the awful music, which kept getting in the way and only reallly worked for the H vs A fight). But somehow it still came accross as nothing special.

I think part of the problem was the pacing (battle, rest, battle, rest, etc..) and another was that i really didn't care that much who won.

My knowledge of the illiad is limited, and mainly from other film adaptions, but this battle that they kept going on about as "never being forgotten" seemed like a pretty forgettable little skirmish to me. It seemed like it only went on for a week or two, and most of that was resting. I thought it went on for decades... and with it being such a small, quick war it didn't seem very EPIC.

Eric Bana was ok as hecotr i guess... though i do think he lacks charisma. Paris(Orlando) and Helen really didn't have much of a part to play.

I thought the ending flet rushed and anticlimactic and the death of achilies kind of sucked (and felt wrong, from my little knowledge of history).

Personally, I think they needed to boost up the Odysseus character (sean bean) as he is the central thread that runs through the film and kind of "our point of view" into the story.

Overall. Ok, but nothing special. ***/***** (3/5)

i think if troy had come out 2 years ago, it wouldve been received a bit better. Any film that is going to have a go at epic battles is always going to be compared to ROTK as it stands out in our memory for that amongst many other things....

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

i think if troy had come out 2 years ago, it wouldve been received a bit better. Any film that is going to have a go at epic battles is always going to be compared to ROTK as it stands out in our memory for that amongst many other things....

True, though I personally think the battles would have been much more epic had they had the kind of moving sountrack to go along with them that RotK had. I mean, RotK's music can give you chills and goosebumps it's so powerful. Troys can only induce vomiting.

Archived