Home

Best Guitar Solos?

--ZeeMan--

According to the 100 Best Guitar Solo's website here is the list:

1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page)

2. Eruption - Van Halen

3. Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (Collins/Rossington)

4. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)

5. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

6. November Rain - Guns n Roses (Slash)

7. One - Metallica (Kirk Hammet)

8. Hotel California - Eagles (Walsh/Felder)

9. Crazytrain - Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhoads)

10. Crossroads - Cream (Eric Clapton)

That list i think is in error :) Here's my adjusted list:

1. Eruption - Van Halen

2. Breadfan - Metallica

3. Crazytrain - Ozzy Osbourne

4. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straights

5. One - Metallica

6. Voodoo - Ywngie J. Malmsteen

7. Cemetary Gates - Pantera

8. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

9. Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

10. Hotel California - Eagles

here's my info ;)

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

I actually think their list is pretty correct, Stairway is a very good solo song, but I thought All Along the Watchtower should be a bit higher on the list. That was an amazing song altogether.

Comfortably Numb is a great Pink Floyd guitar solo song, but I think there are some better ones than that one, but that's my personal opinion.

Crossroads was a great song for Clapton and the rest of Cream, and I'm glad it was put on the list.:)

this is all very subjective. many of us could name many different songs that feature brilliant guitar solos from songs/groups many of us havent heard.... maybe the list should refer to "mainstream music"....

and the eagles....worthy of an almighty PFFT !

mtfbwya

Originally posted by --ZeeMan--

2. Breadfan - Metallica

Bredfan was originally recorded by the band Budgie...

The solo might be an improvisation though...

And I want to add The Thing That Should Not Be by Metallica and a lot of songs by Jimi Hendrix to that list :)

Originally posted by InsaneSith

I think the star spangled banner that Jimi did at woodstock was brilliant. It actually sparks a bit of patriotism in me. :)

O.o

Say what?

Jimi was a rebel, and the star sprangled banner had bomb-like sounds in it for a reason...

I love that song (when he plays it)

Of course that is all focused on the pretentious assumption that rock guitarists are the best, and that these disconnected 'solos' are a particularly deep musical expression.

Neither of which are true.

Most of the above list is self-imortantant, masturbatory pyrotechnics devoid of thematic development or other simple melodic expression.

If a guitar 'solo' stands out from a song, rather than integrating into an enhancedoverall musical expression, I call it a failure, regardless of how 'tasty' it might be.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Of course that is all focused on the pretentious assumption that rock guitarists are the best, and that these disconnected 'solos' are a particularly deep musical expression.

Neither of which are true.

That's a matter of opinion, wouldn't you think? ;)

Originally posted by Pie™

O.o

Say what?

Jimi was a rebel, and the star sprangled banner had bomb-like sounds in it for a reason...

I love that song (when he plays it)

I know, the point was, that i'm not a patriotic person, and it actually makes me feel so. ;)

Damn Straight that STH came in first. It deserves it. Eruption is such a show off solo. STH has feeling beyond any other song Ive ever felt (even though its not the best song, its still a really good one) so to all that disagree with me....well, you cant change my mind....erm...ok...I'm Ramblin......

must...

....not...

say....

anymore...

You misunderstand.

Rock guitar (and most rock in general) isn't so much about pursuance of the ethereal spirit, but about 0wnage.

Look at Van Halen's Eruption, lots of Steve Vai or Alex Lifeson. It isn't about saying note my shift to minor to denote a somber mood. It is about 'man, I kick ass, this is party time'.

So top 10-ing it is ... well, it seems an inappropriate critique.

My point about non-fitting solos I stick by, though. Look at Michael Jackson's Beat It, with Van Halen.

As for another great guitar solo - how about 10 Years After 'Going Home' from Woodstock, or Rick Derringer's "Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo'?

Mike

Hmmm... and I can't help but notice that it's mostly all modern day rock guitarists in that top 10...

There are plenty of AMAZING solos in other styles. For example; Where are:

Wes Montgomery

Django Reinhardt

Charlie Christian

Tal Farlow

Joe Pass

Pat Metheny

Albert Lee

Allan Holdsworth

Paco DeLucia

Chet Atkins

Albert, Freddy, or B.B. King?

Originally posted by edlib

Hmmm... and I can't help but notice that it's mostly all modern day rock guitarists in that top 10...

There are plenty of AMAZING solos in other styles. For example; Where are:

Because it was a popularity contest, so it was bound to be filled with junk like this.

People, especially when confronted with a popularity poll, tend to react emotionally rather than cerebrally. So they vote for the guy who plays the guitar on the favorite song from their favorite band.

Instrumentalists get ignored in these types of polls. Newer stuff gets overlooked. Non-pop genres don't exist.

These kids of polls polls give you 'Independance Day' as top film and leave out 'Citizen Kane'.

The saddest thing is that since the poll was from 'Guitar World', it was mainly from guitarists.

Mike

Originally posted by Pie™

That's a matter of opinion, wouldn't you think? ;)

The whole list thing is an opinion. And appearing on this list doesn't make it good - or one guitarist better than another. Neither does failing to be on the list mean anything.

These lists are 'what's your favorite color' play out as if it means something to anyone but the person answering the question.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

The saddest thing is that since the poll was from 'Guitar World', it was mainly from guitarists.

Actually that doesn't really surprise me all that much. I've never taken Guitar World all that seriously... it's a small step above Hit Parader. ;) They have always tended to focus on what's most popular NOW, who's hot at the moment. I let my subscription run out years ago when I realized that I was never going to get any coverage of any player not currently on the radio or MTV. I suspect thier entire readership consists of the teenage to early 20-something players that I was when I did subscribe. I doubt most older players bother with it anymore,.. so that's reflected in the choices made on this list.

Guitar Player has always been the more serious guitar rag... at least they cover non-rock-metal-pop-grunge-top-20 players once in a while (although not nearly as much as I would like.)

All that being said... I also love the styles of all the players on the list as well. Van Halen is the reason I play guitar, and the trio of Page/ Beck/ Clapton are probably the biggest influences on my playing. But I would like to see a bit more diversity among the list. It does betray a narrow window of knowledge among the group who responded.

And for the record: The best rock guitar solo of all time is "Hereafter" by Steve Morse with the Dixie Dregs off the 'Dregs of the Earth' album.

:D

Originally posted by edlib

All that being said... I also love the styles of all the players on the list as well. Van Halen is the reason I play guitar, and the trio of Page/ Beck/ Clapton are probably the biggest influences on my playing.

I was 12 when Van Halen came out ... and you could tell the guitar players at school as they had band-aids on where their chins hit the floor ... and band-aids on their fingers from all the 'woodshedding' they were doing to try to learn all of those acrobatics. It was major - when it seemed the world was full-up with Glam-rock, Disco, Punk, and Arena-dino-rock, along comes something fun that absolutely rocks.

The Yardbirds are academically appreciated for their contribution to the rock era, but never got the commercial accolades they deserved. Clapton I like, but don't love. Page has always just been 'solid' to me - quite talented, always tasteful and appropriate, but never killed me. Jeff Beck has always been one of my favorites (I'm actually listening to 'Come Dancing' from his 1976 'Wired' right now).

Mike

Yah,.. Beck was always the best of the 3... and the one most willing to grow and change and take chances, regardless of any commercial concerns. Blow By Blow and Wired are 2 of my "Desert Island Discs"

I got to see him in a 100-seat club in Austin, Tx. a few years ago. It was amazing!

I also saw him at the Worcester Centrum with Stevie Ray Vaughn about a year before Stevie died. ( :( ) Great show,.. but I was really there to see SRV and wasn't as familiar with Beck at the time to really get into his set. Besides, out seats sucked and the sound was horrible (but I blame that mostly on the acoustics of the venue...)

Archived