What's ypur favourite MI game?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What's ypur favourite MI game?

• The Secret of Monkey Island
    • Monkey Island 2 LeChuck's Revenge
    • The Curse of Monkey Island
    • Escape from Monkey Island

i love these threads!

my favorite is mi2, b/c of...everything. i like the tri-island thing where you travel around and i thought the puzzles were great. i liked the back alley thing, w/the gambling. and the library. and the antique shop. and the bar. it was like playing three different games at once...

kind of.

here's my official rank order:

1. mi2

2. cmi

3. mi1

4. emi

:)

funnily enough, Monkey Island fans are split up into only 3 categories, those who like CMI, those who like EMI and those who like the first two as being the best in the world, but prefer MI2 which is why MI1 only got one vote from me.

CMI. Beautiful graphics and a whole load of new locations and characters. Shakespearian actors, tourist islands and a lactose intolerant volcanoe, pure class boy. Hopefully if theres a fifth Blood Island will be revisited with its now booming tourist industry. The music as well! Need I say more?

Time for a rant :)

EMI was spoiled for me by too many poorly made references to the previous games and too much reliance on anachronism for humor. It had some hilights such as the Mysts of time and, err... The Mysts of time. Murray's cameo was a great dissapointment and generally the voice acting wasn't as good as CMI. Overall EMI had the feel of a tribute game put together by fans of the originals which made me yearn for the good old days. Definitely not my favourite. The biggest dissapointment for me since Dungeon Master 2.

CMI was a class game. The art was wonderful and most of the puzzles were worthy of Monkey Island, Murray was superb and the voiceovers were quality. The humor was mostly spot-on. However the game was let down significantly by its more linear feel and dissapointing ending compared with MI2.

The original game was one of the defining moments of video game history. While it has been surpassed in its genre by other Lucas Arts games over the years it stands head and shoulders above the other Adventure games of its time. I first played it on my 512k Atari ST... Of course, the game needed 1mb of RAM to work properly which meant saving and reloading constantly so as not to incur the dreaded "out of heap space" fatal error and ocasionally taking my saved games to my mate's house in order to get past a particularly memory intensive scene (Stan's shipyard and anything with a large animated sprite) but that was all part of the adventure. I doubt I would have bothered with a game like Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken but in Monkey Island I was desperate to see what would happen next. Monkey Island set standards of storytelling surpassed by few games of any genre.

MI2 was the perfect sequal. Funnier, richer, more imaginative and trickier than the original. The continued adventures of Guybrush were truly new. The characters, the locations, the plot, the relationship between Guybrush and Elaine. Nothing in MI2 felt as though it was just a remake of a situation in MI1 everything was fresh and exciting. The fact that you could travel around three islands and complete certain puzzles in a less linear way made the game world feel large and teeming with potential. If you were stuck in a puzzle in MI2 you could always go off and try to solve another puzzle on another island. There was a feeling of exploration and adventure. The humor was at its best and surreal in places. Overall the plot felt tangibly more grown-up and darker than the original and guybrush himself seems to have matured... Well, grown a tash at least. The ending is arguably the best, funniest and most unexpected video game ending of all time.

So my vote goes to MI2 :)

- James

Originally posted by Skinkie

Does tash mean beard?

It's short for moustache, where I come from anyway :)

I don't think he quite managed a beard did he? I know there were a few jokes about beards in the game but I keep straining my eyes to find something significant on Guybrush's chin and I can't.

That could be a topic of debate, did Guybrush really have a beard in MI2 or did he just think he had one...

- James

it has to be monkey island 2. It had the best model for guybrush, it made the characters feel real, well realer(that can't be a word) than the two recent games anyway. It was the best written not just plotwise but jokewise too! It was huge, so much to enjoy, im not goin to talk about specific setpieces (There are just too many). It had a plethora of monkeys. The music for me is defined in this game. In fact I think I mite just play through it one last time!!!!

Im very happy right now because I just passed my exams......Awwwwwh Yeaaaaaah!

Originally posted by Skinkie

Looks like a beard to me.

Fair point, he does on the box cover art but does his in-game sprite have one? I would suggest that maybe there's an inconsistency here. LeChuck looks a little different on the box art too, he's not as green.

It always seemed to me that Guybrush really doesn't have a beard in game but merely some stubble making it obvious that he's try to grow one. The scene in the beginning when he's talking to the other pirates and they tease him about his latest adventure being "growing a beard" implies that he hasn't quite managed it yet.

There's also the scene where he tries to convince the bartender that he's 21 by saying "look at my beard". You could take this as proof that he does have a beard but I always thought that this was meant as another illustration that whatever he has on his chin doesn't quite pass for a proper beard yet.

However, it's been ages since I've played the game on my long dead Amiga and I never bought it for the PC so if you can post a link to a pic of Guybrush in-game where he clearly has a beard then I'll concede :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well if were still talking about the best MI game id have to say MI1. Everything was new and usualy when you hear a joke the first time its the best. However the MI series did a very good job at keeping the sequels witty and hilarious. Even so I think the first one was the best.

Has to be CMI. The graphics suited the game so well and the music gave the game unrivalled atmosphere. The locations and characters were origional and so involving. Can't wait to revisit Blood island. Wot a legend

Archived