Home

A Plea to Lucasarts/Raven

Pres

This plea goes out to any developers or jka, whether it is Raven or lucas arts...This game needs patching..Badly. Too many times i have played jka, gone into a game and gotten extremly mad because of those one hit kills...

Yes the lovely one hit kills or "Instas"...i thought the damage for red was supposed to be lowered in multiplayer, today i play jka when i was playing power duel and one hit from a red shot took off 125hp and killed me instantly, whats fair in that? Now this has also become an exploit for many "professional clans". A simple "wiggle" of the mouse and the saber manages to do 100+ damage, another exploit is where the player vertically strikes their opponant, as the saber hits the floow the play with backflip causing more damage. If a demo is required i will glady provide evidence to back my point up. Blue Lunge's Take 100+ damage off and Yellow seems to be just as powerful as red. The Developers have noticably gone for saber damage which doesn't damage when the player strikes, but involves the amount of the time their saber "burns" their opponant. Another example of an insta is where the player Left red swings, as the saber comes out, they spin causing extreme amount of damage causing a one hit kill.

One other problem, FIX the roll? Why did u change it? it was fine as it is, i thought rolls allowed you to dodge attacks, not let you open to attack i mean, seriously, what the hell?

This post will only get listened to if other players who have experienced the same problems, who are verteran players like myself who have also player JK2 online can back me up or this post will be of no use....lets get this game balanced like JK2 1.04 when it involved skill to be good, not luck on one hit kills.

The fact is saber damage is adjustable with cvars.

Not all servers use the default "dueling friendly" g_saberdamagescale 1.

In fact, many now use 2 (which Mike Gummelt of Raven Software recommends for all non-duel gametypes) or even higher (Chop Shop routinely uses 3, 4 or even 5).

So I would check the server settings before I start complaining about that.

"Scratching" people (if d_saberspstyledamage) is turned on only does 1 hp per 1/5 second (up to 5 hp per second that you hold the blade "ON" somebody).

Assuming you don't have a badly set rate or ping, then these things shouldn't be that unexpected.

I've been a long time follower of the series for years and it wasn't until JK2 1.03 that suddenly we got all this whining and expectation that sabers shouldn't kill you in 1-2 hits and dueling is the only way to play the game. Well, each to his own, I guess....

No patch is required to adjust damage values, it's been there all along. I did the same thing with JK2 1.04. I always disliked saberdamagescale 1, because I play more than Duels and I like to use sabers that are useful beyond 1 on 1 blade vs. blade fights.

PS: If you're really a die-hard JK2 MP player who's heart was broken by JA, I suggest you try the latest version of Xmod2 (by Master Hex). Using the variables it contains, you can get your JA gameplay to be about 90% (or thereabouts) of how JK2 was. Plus it doesn't contain all those abusable "ampunish" commands that plague the admin mods in both communities.

Or (surprise!) play JK2 and get the full effect.

There's as many if not more people playing JK2, (mostly saber dueling) according to ASE, as JA, so it's not like you can claim that game is dead and so you can't play it anymore!

To sum up: Raven isn't planning another patch, so use Xmod2, go back to JK2, or just learn to adapt and deal with the game being different.

Were the servers Wh1te played on running JA+ Mod or basejka?

JA+ Mod has made damage type, damage amount, blocking frequency, etc. cvars available, so the game he is unhappy with may not be basejka at all. JA+ Mod is ubiquitous so it is likely he has played on servers running some version of it.

On the happy side, JA+ Mod and xmod2 fixed rolling, making it like JK2.

wh1te i know why you put it in quotes, you missed my point, though. There were only a few (like 3-4 at the most) clans that were really any good in ja skill wise, and 2-3 of those were "proffessional" in their conduct.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Were the servers Wh1te played on running JA+ Mod or basejka?

JA+ Mod has made damage type, damage amount, blocking frequency, etc. cvars available, so the game he is unhappy with may not be basejka at all. JA+ Mod is ubiquitous so it is likely he has played on servers running some version of it.

On the happy side, JA+ Mod and xmod2 fixed rolling, making it like JK2.

Probably. And all the what... ten versions all seem to have different damage, detection, settings. It's pretty hard to really determine what "balanced" lightsaber combat is these days. :( Seems like every mod we've had at JK3Files had its own unique lightsaber combat.

in JA+ 2.0 i decided to put by default the basejka damages execpt for one or two cvar that alter the gameplay and also the damages

you have in the FAQ section damage, all the cvar with their value to come back to basejka code with no alteration

also a lot of the complaints in the first post are all corected in JA+ and can be modified with cvars

+ many basejka Fixs

Slider, one of the problems with your older version mod being server side only is the fact that people can use any version without it directly impacting the number of people able to get on without it.

WIth a client side addition any one with different versions can't cannot to the other versions. SO it gives them an incentive to upgrade to the most current version.

I fear the damage from your older versions is going to be hard to repair because there's no incentive to upgrade.

Umm, one question Rumor.. Could you please tell me the name of these "pro" clans? If you don't surprise me mate, then i can guarantee that Wh1te is probably a better player then every single player in those clans.. but hey, thats just me :>

I hope the name of your clans are familiar to me like some old blueyonder clan etc etc. If not then I suggest you too get your "facts" straight until next time mate :>. I've played a lot of players and only a few of them are better then me (all blueyonder + some wargamez bloke but that counts as blueyonder tbh :>) accept one or two exceptions. And Rumor, I know what I'm talking about belive me.

/Hippoh

För övrigt anser jag att Israel bör förstöras.

Originally posted by Wh1te

today i play jka when i was playing power duel and one hit from a red shot took off 125hp and killed me instantly, whats fair in that?

So you are complaining about getting killed by a hit using the strong stance by a weapon that supposedly can cut through anything? What happened sounds about right to me...

And don't hold your breath waiting for a new patch...

The Damage i am referring to Is Base damage set on default (g_saberdamagescale 1), i do know that saber damage can be decreased and increased but i can't go on and ask, can u turn down the damage settings

Originally posted by Hippoh

Umm, one question Rumor.. Could you please tell me the name of these "pro" clans? If you don't surprise me mate, then i can guarantee that Wh1te is probably a better player then every single player in those clans.. but hey, thats just me :>

I hope the name of your clans are familiar to me like some old blueyonder clan etc etc. If not then I suggest you too get your "facts" straight until next time mate :>. I've played a lot of players and only a few of them are better then me (all blueyonder + some wargamez bloke but that counts as blueyonder tbh :>) accept one or two exceptions. And Rumor, I know what I'm talking about belive me.

/Hippoh

För övrigt anser jag att Israel bör förstöras.

I don't keep track of the euros at all but here's a shot.

guns:

Image aka HiFiDelity International Image ° or HfD>>

HFD (euros)

pg (no clue on tags)

sabers only:

kaoticz +/<

ruthless kings rK//

SL [sL](put up more of a fight than any other clan we played aside from rK, so i give them props <3 dc, acdcfanbill, fusion, etc.)

/edit: from what i could tell, oE| were a bunch of stand-up guys that were pretty decent at the game, unlike the q3 scrubs from clans like alt, freedom, etc.

dark elements could have been on that list but they didn't really do anything.

/late edit: If you start going into No Force clans i'm going to slap you <3

fatal+/< and brutal+/< were tops in NF and they were both on my team (kaoticz)

Wait a sec... People still play this abomination?

Oh and Rumor named a few clans that were around when JA was first released so your definition of "professional" might be what we used to call "nub" and stomp all over in JK2.

But then again, I don't follow the euro scene cuz something about german players spamming their <=={-[ROFLMAOx5000]-}==> binds kinda gets to me.

Originally posted by g//plaZma

Wait a sec... People still play this abomination?

Oh and Rumor named a few clans that were around when JA was first released so your definition of "professional" might be what we used to call "nub" and stomp all over in JK2.

But then again, I don't follow the euro scene cuz something about german players spamming their <=={-[ROFLMAOx5000]-}==> binds kinda gets to me.

Yeah those binds drive me crazy. Most german players i ever encountered drove me ****ing insane.

What plazma said is true. Weather people liked it or not, there were a total of two teams that ever gave us a problem in jk2/ja and they were shockwave (the top team in the game, ever) and silent death (some of whom were/are in rk).

Also image/hfd destroyed every team they faced.

[sL] had exellent teamwork and if they had stayed together and played with top players a lot more than they did, they would have been a force to reckon with. We took them for granted in our first match, and they came close to winning a map, but when our second match came around we litterally put them in the negatives. My hatts go off to them, they were a great bunch of guys.

For Euro CTF, dLY was slightly better than HFD, winning against them in Jedi Liga, which was the only real competition the game had in the first 3-4 months of jka, then the game was dead. American clans came across as average to low-skilled for guns in jk2/jka, at least from having seen all the demos available. Except of course, DSbr/image.. who at their best were far and beyond the rest of the community, and on even ping would probably have beat the best euro clans, in my opinion.

As far as NF sabers goes all the americans I saw play it were so newbie it was hilarious, this goes back to early jk2 all the way through to jka. Europe, and in particular the UK had the best NF saberists. But then the opposite is true for FF sabers, europe was so hilariously shít at it compared to the americans.

But anyway, both games are dead now, jk1 was better than both games rofl, and the only fun left to be had is remembering the few good times I had in the game, and having met lots of friends who I now compete in other games with.

Hopefully the next jk games won't be such a let down, like jk2 and jka were after jk1. :/

Originally posted by Hippoh

Prime, it may sound right too you and it probably is but there wouldn't be any fun in the game if you would die instantly when someone touches you with the lightsabre imo.

To me, one hit kills are way better than 50+ hit kills. Much better to have the saber lethal than a wiffleball bat.

Originally posted by vert1go

For Euro CTF, dLY was slightly better than HFD, winning against them in Jedi Liga, which was the only real competition the game had in the first 3-4 months of jka, then the game was dead. American clans came across as average to low-skilled for guns in jk2/jka, at least from having seen all the demos available. Except of course, DSbr/image.. who at their best were far and beyond the rest of the community, and on even ping would probably have beat the best euro clans, in my opinion.

As far as NF sabers goes all the americans I saw play it were so newbie it was hilarious, this goes back to early jk2 all the way through to jka. Europe, and in particular the UK had the best NF saberists. But then the opposite is true for FF sabers, europe was so hilariously shít at it compared to the americans.

But anyway, both games are dead now, jk1 was better than both games rofl, and the only fun left to be had is remembering the few good times I had in the game, and having met lots of friends who I now compete in other games with.

Hopefully the next jk games won't be such a let down, like jk2 and jka were after jk1. :/

Yeah its sad about those NF kids, eh?

Biggest things about the germans that drove me insane would be #1 their play style. Sure i've used it myself but it never failed, they zap you to 100 24 and run the rest of the match to get a default. #2 they only speak german even if you ask nicely, except for when they insult you, and are suddenly fluent in english. Americans, although drain/lightning whoring was prevalent in serious matches, they wanted to beat you and make sure you felt like you got your ass kicked, so they are/were more aggressive and in-your-face.

JK2 has to be my favorite game of all time. I had more fun and met nicer/cooler people playing it than in any other game i've played since Doom started the mp craze. I still play with a lot of those guys in CrossOver (#cross-over on gamesurge if someone wants to stop by <3). Most of ShockWave and FK and Kaoticz are in it, along with some rk/div3rse people.

I truly wish that jk2 was still extremely popular for competition. It was glorioiusly deep and complex, yet easy to approach, and it offered a gameplay dynamic (FF/SO TDM/Duel/CTF) refreshing compared to other games. It (especially ff/so duel) was like a more advanced game of chess.

After 2 years could one of you euros please tell me why you guys use these silly ass binds:

[JK2]GOOD-FIGHT!!!===|||***L*O*L***|||===GOOD-FIGHT!!![JK2]

;)

I will say one thing about euros though, as a whole they have a much more serious minded/mature community when it comes to competitive gaming.

Having moved into Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, the American ET community is far behind the euros.

Don't get me wrong, we have as much skill on our side of the globe as they do, but we have so much constant bickering and fighting (not to mention more ego problems than you could ever hope to count) going on in the community, it really prevents us from evolving as a whole.

When I played Jk2 I did play many of the U.K./German top players and yes, like vert said, they did suck compared to us (in ff/so).

But the one thing that really surprised me, was how level headed the guys I played were.

They lost, said "gg" and moved on. No bitching or moaning, no excuses, no running to euroforums.com and begging for patches.

Over here?

Every match was like a 30 minute soap opra.

:mad:

I guess my point is, most euros tend to treat competitive gaming like a "professional sport" where as most americans treat it like a "personal fist fight".

:(

Hehe, the binds, seems to be a German low-skilled saberist thing mostly. They are quite amusing though, go and lame on their ja mod servers with 49hp kickscripts and you'll see a flurry of multi-colored binds flying across the screen.

Gotta agree on the differences between the euro and american gaming communities for the most part, I used to keep track of american rtcw and there was so much bitching over some games. But the quakecon qualifiers last year showed how immature both comunities were hehe, where you had US vs Euro clans in online qualifiers, some of the comments were so pathetic from both sides, although it was sadly entertaining in a way. :E

JK2 has to be my favorite game of all time. I had more fun and met nicer/cooler people playing it than in any other game i've played since Doom started the mp craze. I still play with a lot of those guys in CrossOver (#cross-over on gamesurge if someone wants to stop by <3). Most of ShockWave and FK and Kaoticz are in it, along with some rk/div3rse people.
Yeah I've made a lot of good friends through jk1 and jk2 too, started an et clan with some, a q3 clan with others, made jk2 worth playing after all.

Archived