Home

JA Dying?

Obi_Kwiet

I used to see up to 10 new threads a day on new exiting mod releaces, or the like. Now i see mabey on new one, and 5 slowly progressing one's about how to enable cheats or technical problems. *yawns* Has JA killed the JK community? That game did in now way live up to the original, and now most of the forums concerning it are dead. Has it killed of intrest? Lucasforums has been alive up untill the last month, but it looks like it is starting to die.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say 'LucasForums' you realise that they have forums for loads of different LEC games, from Point and Clicks to KOTOR, X-Wing etc? I doubt JA had any impact on those forums, good or bad - this place is huge.

The JA specific forums are definately a lot quieter than say 6 months or a year ago, but thats hardly a surprise - back then it was new(er), it was fresh(er) and lots of people flooded onto the forums here having recently got the game. People move on to other games and the like, its normal. As for JA killing the JK series, I doubt it. I'd put money on another JK game one day, most certainly. JO seems to have more of a cult following than JA, so maybe they're similarly popular by now.

I don't blame the devlopers or whatever, they brought out a pretty good follow up to JO in my book, but it wasn't super different from JO and it did OK, not spectacularly. The modding community has produced some great stuff, in OKish amounts. C'est la vie!

If he were here, Lassev would have said something poetic. All I can do is basic French I'm afraid.

That's probably because most people have realized the extreme boredom of JA. But don't worry, I have always been around and I will post something from time to time. Even though I don't play any of these games here.

People come and go. Even though I've never played JA, I still come here to check up on it and try to find out if it's worth playing. I've come to the conclusion that I just might rent it one of these days and try it out, but I'm in no hurry. :)

If there's an expansion pack coming out or something, don't worry, the people will come back. As for now, it's really no surprise to see things like they are.

Originally posted by Druid Allanon

Neither does it take long for the real gamers to tire of the game if their gameplay is ruined by the excessive amount of honor-infected servers.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Yeah, I dont play anymore due to the honor stuff. Single player is the way to go now....

FFA players who can't find some good action without all that honor\"laming"\saber-off = peace\"I was chatting-play-acting-emoting you lamer" nonsense really should try Capture the Flag (CTF). It's full of action and combat without all that silly "honor" foolishness. CTF servers typically have all powers enabled (including Lightning) and full weapons (although there are a few saber-only CTF servers).

If you are uncomfortable with it at first, just think of it as a Team FFA game and act accordingly, i.e. forget about the flag and just kill any member of the opposite team that you see. Hang around in your base, stock up on weapons and ammo (leave the health and shields for your flag carrier), and annihilate any member of the opposite team that invades your base. If you do that you will be more valuable to your team than most players.

For extra credit, maximize Team Heal or Team Energize, and if your flag carrier straggles back to your base with the enemy's flag but barely alive, get close to him\her, hit your Team Heal\Energize to revitalize him\her like a medic, and you'll be the hero! Then, if your own flag is in enemy hands, act like a Secret Service agent and defend your flag carrier like a bodyguard until your own flag is returned by your teammates, allowing your flag carrier to score.

If you like playing the game to the fullest, with all of the things the programmers worked so hard to create (weapons\Force powers\a scoring system), and enjoy excitement and action without a lot of phony "honor", crying about "laming", admin-power abuse, apologizing for attacking someone who was chatting, etc., then CTF is the way to go.

Once you play a game that goes into overtime with the score tied, and both flags in the hands of the opposite teams, and everyone is trying simultaneously to keep their flag carrier alive while trying to kill the other team's flag carrier before the other team does the same, you'll be hooked like so many other players have been.

Originally posted by Kengo

When you say 'LucasForums' you realise that they have forums for loads of different LEC games, from Point and Clicks to KOTOR, X-Wing etc? I doubt JA had any impact on those forums, good or bad - this place is huge.

Well, as a moderator in the KOTOR modding forum, I can tell you that that community is thriving. And it appears that people are close to being able to edit models, so then things might really take off. Since I have started posting some of my KOTOR skins, my site gets about 100 hits a day (and has currently exceeded it's monthly bandwidth).

And with Battlefront, KOTOR 2, and Republic Commando on the horizon, Lucasforums is far from dead.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Single player is the way to go now....

That's what I usually play. I know a lot of people that still play SP from time to time, so I suspect that there are still more people playing than we hear about on this forum, which caters to MP a lot more.

It is too bad there haven't been more SP maps for JA. I would think they would get a lot of downloads. Luckily the JO ones work in JA...

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

FFA players who can't find some good action without all that honor\"laming"\saber-off = peace\"I was chatting-play-acting-emoting you lamer" nonsense really should try Capture the Flag (CTF).

Is the number of players still pretty high on your servers, or have you seen it drop?

The OJP forum is still going strong. The main reason you don't really see too much of the releases & updates on the JKA forum is because we have our own forum, and the website is updated whenever there's something new.

I think the idea that JKA is 'dead' is probably because many people don't have time to post or don't want to post spoilers about the mods they're making. Either that, or you're looking in the wrong place... :p

Originally posted by Prime

Is the number of players still pretty high on your servers, or have you seen it drop?

The FFA server became less busy when UT2k4 came out because the type of player attracted to that server (normal all-out Free for All) would also be attracted to other similar games that they could play free from whining, "honor", abusive admins, etc. As I have said in other threads, JA FFA servers today are overwhelmingly JA+ Mod\saber-only\Force power-disabled\"FFA dueling"\glorified chatrooms.

I feel sorry for all of the Raven programmers who spent countless hours working out how to get the guns to look and work correctly, have the right damage, etc. and also to get Lightning to look good and do what it does, etc. and work out a scoring system, etc., only to have most servers disable guns, disable most Force powers, and just have people stand around chatting. They probably spent 1% of their time on the chat function, and 99% of their time on things that people use rarely, or not at all.

The regular CTF server is going strong. It is almost never empty, and usually has 10-20 players on it at any given time (and they are all playing, not chatting). The Disruption CTF server just restarted a few weeks ago and it is steadily becoming more busy.

My JK2 FFA-CTF and Disruption CTF servers are still busy.

The number of other JA CTF servers and the activity on them has dropped during the past couple of months.

I remember as soon as the last JK2 patch was released people loudly declared the death of that game's community, yet here we are some two years later and still with plenty of players.

Likewise we get people declaring the death of this or that game as if their statements alone signal the fact.

Much as we like to give ourselves credit, we (LucasForums) are but a drop of water in the ocean that is the community of this (or any other) game.

What do we have on LucasForums, 60,000+ people? (and only a fraction of those are in the JK related forums). And how many people bought JK2 alone... over a million? Do the math...

I wouldn't interpret lack of postings as proof of a dying community. What is there to say that hasn't already been said? We've heard every long winded speech about game balance, every post about every part of the game somebody got stuck in, every question about every aspect of mod making, and every other debate possible, right? Maybe not, but you get the idea.

Individuals quit (and clans quit), but the community at large continues.

Did JA kill the series? If you believe it has, I would only point to the increase in JK2 players after JA's release. I guess they went "back" to the other game, they didn't give up. So if you hate JA but loved JK2, you can do the same.

Me, I loved JK2, but I have many good (to me) reasons for "sticking with" JA, not least of which is the experience of Siege, something that you really can't find in JK2 (not even SAGA comes close). If you just want some JK2 like tweaks, those exist. If you just want the maps, those exist too (albeit they aren't quite JK2 perfect). For me the new game just offers more. But that's my opinion.

I still believe that JA is not dead. Infact I play just about daily from anywhere like 45 to an hour. I only play single player since I have a slow connection, but I still have lots of fun with the ladder style maps alone. I would like to see more sp mods/tc's but that is not where the vast majority of the community is. That and the lack of source code drives people from trying, not anybody's fault since they are doing the work with their own free time. But I have recently been playing with the NPC tool and am having a blast with that. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the mods in the works. Who knows maybe AotC tc or OJP may bring that spark to the online community.

Originally posted by Leemu Taos

People come and go. Even though I've never played JA, I still come here to check up on it and try to find out if it's worth playing. I've come to the conclusion that I just might rent it one of these days and try it out, but I'm in no hurry. :)

If there's an expansion pack coming out or something, don't worry, the people will come back. As for now, it's really no surprise to see things like they are.

JA is well worth playing. You are missing out on this awesome game. I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw that they had Jedi Academy for the PC for only $19.99. They also have Jedi Outcast PC for $19.99. If anybody hasn't played them this is the time to buy them and prepare yourself for a great experience.

I just found out about and played some SP levels for JO. They are Project Lighthouse, Dash Rendar's Resurrgence, Escape from Takron Galtos, and Spice mines on Kessel. All the levels were great. http://www.map-review.com/ is a great site for addon levels and reviews.

Cool ... haven't seen one of these useless threads in a while ;)

Last I looked, both JKII and JA were still very highly ranked in player numbers on GameSpy ... obviously there are more playing Counterstrike, WWII games and UT2k4.

But it has a very respectable audience and lively modding community.

'scuse me, I have to go blackjack someone and steal their loot ...

Mike

playing Thief 3 is you didn't get the reference

Originally posted by txa1265

Last I looked, both JKII and JA were still very highly ranked in player numbers on GameSpy ... obviously there are more playing Counterstrike, WWII games and UT2k4.

I've actually played a few games the last little while after a fairly long break. There still seems to be a decent number of servers. I didn't have any problem finding games with 10+ people playing.

However on the jk3files server I did get called a lamer because I killed a guy who was standing still with his saber up. I was told that killing a stationary opponant was "gey."

Originally posted by Prime

I've actually played a few games the last little while after a fairly long break. There still seems to be a decent number of servers. I didn't have any problem finding games with 10+ people playing.

However on the jk3files server I did get called a lamer because I killed a guy who was standing still with his saber up. I was told that killing a stationary opponant was "gey."

LOL! The JK3files server is "gey".

They always seem to whine even when you don't break a rule. Their saber is up, they are standing there, with no chatbox above their head. So as I get it, I am allowed to attack... I do so and am treated like I broke a rule, but the fact is that the person just doesn't like me killing him/her.

and god do I hate the little ****heads who rename to stuff like "Jenny" and use a female model. All they need is to accuse someone for laming and the male admin, hungering for female contact, kicks you.

Archived